Ladies, how does the monthly affect your workouts?

Options

Replies

• only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Options
    It makes me SO tired. But I still go and do at least an hour, if I feel like I absolutely can't get myself to I'll have a cup or two of green tea and that gets me a little more refreshed and then I go. Once I do I feel a little better but that time of month just sucks.
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find exercising helps some... but I definitely wouldn't be able to do it every day! It's a time for relaxation and eating slightly more than normal for me... either that or I would just inhale everything in sight! If you feel exhausted take a few days off, it's no big deal :smile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    How old are you and what do you do for vitamins? As I've gotten older, turns out I need iron supplements to counter the effects of that time of the month. Talk to your doctor, but it really makes a difference in my fatigue level. Hopefully you're also taking a multi-vitamin. But I agree with pushing through, as well. Always feel better after a workout.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    I primarily get really bloated...and gassy...so I stay at the gym for a short amount of time on my start days:grumble:
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've known some friends to get anemic while on their period which could definitely contribute to weakness and fatigue. As for pain, I know I feel better when I exercise so I try to hit the gym or at least walk during my period. It seems to work for me.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I posted a blog similar to this...I get extremely bloated, cramps, headaches and neckaches....I ended up not going the other day because of it...on the bright side it's only like 3 days (if that) out of the month....that's not so bad-just don't use it as an excuse to eat whatever you want AND not go to the gym-that might be bad haha
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I workout anyway because 99% of the time I feel better after the workout than I did before...your body needs it regardless of what time of the month it is. I don't always feel like it either but once I do it, I'm glad I did. :happy:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The day before and the first day I am running at half energy most months. Those are the days that I do my workout, but not as intense or hard as usual. I was trying to push through at the beginning, but realized that I needed to listen to my body.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use those days as my "chilling out" days...catch up on some ME time...read, do my nails etc

What I did on the past was eat like a monster cause I craved chocolate all the time!

Now I eat healthy...black strap molasses, organic unsulphured, has a ton of iron...I add that to milk tea
    or coffee or just add a tbsp in a quarter cup of warm water and have that every other day or so
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a big no thanks. I put my workouts on hold until it's over. It's easier for me to control my diet then worry about feeling crappy and trying to work out. I would rather sit on the couch and eat a celery stick then workout when I feel like complete crap.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    A week before my monthly curse I am extremely tired. I have to really talk myself into working out. I never regret it though because working out helps my PMS symtoms. Sometimes I'll switch to lighter workouts like more walking instead of running, or the elliptical or stationary bike. As long as I work up some of a sweat though. Anything is better than nothing!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It doesn't
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Since (unfortunately) getting my period after having a baby and finishing breastfeeding I had GOD AWFUL cramps but I worked through it and felt ALOT better. My period is very heavy so I just use what I can to make sure everything stays where it should (lol)!

Everyone is different though, my best friend can't function on her period at all!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I get a lil tired but I just drink some caffeine and I'm good!
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm usually exhausted, but I make it a point to work out. It really helps my bloating. Getting my period usually takes a much worse toll on my eating than it does my workouts, so I try to keep somewhat of a balance by getting out and doing something everyday that week.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    the week before, i become fairly useless. the week of, i'm pretty ok. the week after, i am superwoman.

when i am not feeling myself, i just make myself jump on the elliptical or something where i dont have to think about it, just bust it out. i dont force myself to run or do weights when my head isnt in it and i feel like crap.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How old are you and what do you do for vitamins? As I've gotten older, turns out I need iron supplements to counter the effects of that time of the month. Talk to your doctor, but it really makes a difference in my fatigue level. Hopefully you're also taking a multi-vitamin. But I agree with pushing through, as well. Always feel better after a workout.

I'm taking a multi-vitamin as well as vitamin rich protein bars/shakes. The pills specifically have iron :)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    As rash as it sounds, I stick a tampon in and man up.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Amen, sister!! Having your period is not a disability.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Amen, sister!! Having your period is not a disability.

I think since they vary greatly female to female that opinion can be challenged! ;) but really, I understand perseverance is key to overcoming that which challenges us the most