HELP--added strength training and now gaining weight!

Options
I have lost 160lbs (highest 325lbs) over the last 2 years. Lowest recent weight is 162lbs.

I have been doing cardio (Zumba, walking/jogging, elliptical) five to six days a week for last 8 months. Plateaued 3 months ago at 164lbs so, I decided to add weight/strength training 3x/week.

Also learned from this site that I might be eating too few calories, so I upped calories from 1200 to 1500/day and upped my protein from 70-110g.

I have been doing these changes for 3 weeks and now am gaining weight and inches---168lbs. this morning and an additional inch to my waist and hips.

I know people will say I am probably gaining muscle, but my goal is to lose another 15-20 lbs.

What do I need to do differently?

Replies

• wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. If you were eating 1200 cals/day for an extended period, your body will take some time to trust the increased fueling. Combine that with starting to weight train (which WILL make you retain water) and your scale and your measurements will probably be a bit off for a little bit. Wait another 2-3 weeks and reassess.
  • 87392v
    87392v Posts: 4
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/jonathan-kaleb-long/10-facts-about-weight-lifting/10150422673936783

This is some information about weight training. The primary thing for you to remember is that weight training gives you more muscle. If you eat more protein, you will develop more muscle more efficiently. You may gain several more pounds before you suddenly break the plateau you mentioned. The new muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Even though you are eating more calories, your muscles are using more. Even when you are at rest, bigger muscles require calories to maintain themselves.

wonderkitten7 is right. Give it a few more weeks. If you are still gaining weight after 21 days, decrease your calorie intake but keep up the wieght training--but only for a little while. It is very dangerous to operate without enough calories.

Good luck!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me with New Rules of Lifting for Women, so I backed off of it and started Julian Micheals 30 Day Shred days ago. I do not know if that is what I should have done, but for my piece of mind, I had to.
  • mrobinson0805
    Options
    Muscles weigh more than fat. Plus when you start a lifting routine you may retain water. Give it some time and take measurements. Women should weight train, you will look leaner and feel stronger. :smile:
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started the new rules of lifting for women three weeks ago and i haven't lost a pound since. I have lost an inch off my waist and an inch off my hips though. I started doing Jillian Michaels' new kickboxing video this week on my non lifting days. Still waiting for the scale to move............my calories are at 1570ish. So frustrating! I totally get how you feel:)
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Thank you all for responding to my post and offering your advice and experiences.

I will hang in there another few weeks and see what happens--trying so hard not to panic and retreat.

I have worked so hard for a healthier lifestyle-so, I will focus on that instead of just bowing to the scale.

Success in life to you all!