Plain Instant Oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Uh, put things in them? Why can't you add apples and cinnamon or maple and brown sugar yourself?

I like the portion control and I am usually eating them at my desk out of a dixie cup.
    Look, if you aren't comfortable adding some cinnamon to your oatmeal then I don't know what you want. You can't do anything with it if you aren't going to add things to it.

easy lol. I had not realized that plain instant oatmeal was one of your touchy issues lol. I was thinking of maybe cookies or maybe a coating for some meal at dinner rather than breadcrumbs.

Everything is a touchy issue with that one.. browse the forums and see. ;P

As for cookies/breadcrumb substitute, I'm not sure how well the instant oatmeal would work for that. The oats seem smaller/more powdery than traditional plain oats. I'm with the others who suggest mixing the flavors ..half plain & half something else. That's what I usually do, anyway. :)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Peanutbutter or protein powder in my oats, everyday

^^Yep - that too!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Why not add stuff to them to flavor them? There's any number of things you can add to plain oatmeal to make it tastier. Fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, seeds, honey, nut butter, cinnamon, etc.

I know you said you eat them at your desk a lot, but why not just pack a zip lock baggies with some crasins and nuts in it, or bring a banana to slice and put in there.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    My kids love these, I spread it in a pan to cool and then cut them into tiny squares. I make a healthier version for myself using coconut oil, almond milk and agave and protein powder, but if you are looking for quick and easy, this is it.

No Bake Cookies:

2 C. Sugar
    2 Tblsp. Cocoa
    1/2 C. Butter
    1/2 C. Milk
    1/2 C. Peanut Butter
    1 Tsp. Vanilla
    5 C. Instant Oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Stir until combined. Drop by tsp. on wax paper or spead in a pan, cool and cut in squares.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the packages I buy my kids. I use them in my meatloaf, to make no bake cookies, or I take them down to the senior center and donate them.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of instant oatmeal. One of the things I have done is prepared several servings of old fashioned oats on the weekend and portion it out for the week. It heats up nicely in the microwave then I add a couple of tablespoons of almond butter.

You can also utilize google to search for various types of recipes (oatmeal muffins, etc..).
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    There are some recipes for healthier cookies and pancakes that use plain instant oatmeal. Do some googling!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Add cinnamon and a packet of sweetner (Equal, Splenda, Truvia, Stevia, etc....) If you want you could also add honey or maple syrup but then you'll be adding calories and I'm not sure you want to do that. Some people add a serving of jam or preserves or fresh fruit as well. It just depends on your taste.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Add a spoonful of preserves (sugar free) like blackberry or apricot...yummy!!! Or a tablespoon of peanut butter and a swirl of sugar free jelly
  • MMoriarty2012
    Options
    Cinnamon and splenda if you need the little bit of sweet.

This is what I do with plain oatmeal, too. :smile:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Gradually mix them in with the flavored ones.

You could just make a double batch - 1 packet flavored, 1 packet plain & mix it all together. Then eat half one day, half the next.

I tried that but when left to the side for a short amount of time, they tend to take on the same properties as cement.

Set aside half of the DRY oatmeal for your next serving.

Or add extra water to reheat.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I only eat plain oatmeal and I mix in a tablespoon of the chocolate PB2 powdered peanut butter.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I only eat plain oatmeal and I mix in a tablespoon of the chocolate PB2 powdered peanut butter.

PB2 is amazing.

Just the other day I made a protein shake with PB2, old fashioned oats, and protein powder.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There are some recipes for healthier cookies and pancakes that use plain instant oatmeal. Do some googling!

This. Search for recipes using instant oatmeal packets. There's a few actually. I made a cake sort of thing using them, with bananas and cinnamon. I can't remember the recipe for the life of me, but I found it by searching on google.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    yes i eat that everyday with

1 teaspoon hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 packet of stevia or splenda
    1 teaspoon natural peanut butter

mix with hot water. so goood!