Thoughts on 100 calorie snack packs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Avecillaevan
    Avecillaevan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't buy 'em.

Although they have some good traits, like easier calorie counting, you are definitely better off packing your own snack like an apple and yogurt or something.

They are high in sodium and don't make you full; in fact, they may cause worse eating habits in the same way that an appetizer can boost your appetite later on.

I once knew of someone who felt she was doing so well on her diet, and was diligently keeping track of her caloric intake via the 100 cal-packs. Problem was, she was eating a box or two per day. If you're going to eat that many calories, you're better off eating a variety of foodstuffs to vary your nutrient intake.

If used wisely, and if you have the self-control, they COULD be helpful. Better than a Snickers, I suppose.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use them in all of my packed lunches. Better than the fast food I was eating. But I bring fruit and Pb and j too
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    My 100 calorie snacks?

Coconut greek yogurts;p or the yoplait delights;p for my chocolate fix

But I can't do the snack packs...i can't stop with one:(

and, for a chocolate fix...I love the chocolate covered almonds!!!
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Did you know Blue Diamond almonds come in 100 calorie snack packs now? Ohhhh yes they do. There aren't many in the pack but if you need just a little something to tide you over they are lovely.

I like the chocolate shortbread cookies too. I keep a pack in the fridge at work. I'd rather have that 100 calorie pack than the 300 calorie candy bar in the vending machine when I start craving chocolate.

^^i agree
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Rather than those sodium laced, empty calories, how about a piece of fruit or some veggies with fat free ranch? They've been my two go-to's since I gave up chips. I know if I got those 100 cal packs of Cheez-It's, it'd be like a gateway drug back into that whole salty, fatty snacks realm!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Just remembered Emerald does natural raw almonds and walnuts as a 100 cal portioned control pack. That is one I would recommend.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    They are a waste of money and bad for the environment. IF you want the bad stuff buy it in cheaper packaging and dole them out yourself.

Look at the amount of product you get. for 6-8 100cal bags it costs three dollars. For 12-14 100 servings it cost Three dollars.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I keep some in my desk all the time for when I want a afternoon snack. I love the Cheese Nips and the Keebler Fudge Stripes. Also just tried Fiber One Peanut Butter Brownies (90 cal.) and they were pretty good. I don't eat them on a daily basis but they are good to have when you have a craving. Alot better then running to the nearest vending machine and getting chips or candy.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I buy the Trader Joe's "Just a Handful" packets of nuts or fruit & nut mixes. They're all around 200 calories and quite satisfying (had one for breakfast this morning, in fact). Nuts are a trigger food for me, so while they're healthy and I want them in my diet, I don't want the temptation to eat a whole big bag. In that particular case, it is worth it to me to buy pre-packaged portions.

For stuff like goldfish crackers or popcorn, I just fill my own snack sized bags and save a little money.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, Kashi granola bars come in at under a dollar if you buy them in multi packs, and they have way more nomnom value than snack packs.

And of course, the best 90 cal super nutritional most filling snack of all - hard boiled eggs. :drinker:
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I actually don't bother with them. Instead, I'll take snack baggies and stuff them with set calorie amounts of things I love and keep them in my purse for snackage.

I do this. I take my snack baggies to work for lunch. I also make baggies of healthy snacks for my husband to take to work as well. It takes me about 10 minutes to do on a Sunday afternoon with a food scale and ziplock baggies to do enough for a full week, but it's so worth it.
  • tamarat58
    Options
    Every one has their own personal preference and opinion, but at the end of the day, the only one living in your body is you. Many say it's not worth it to eat them or buy them, and while I understand those points of view, I have found for myself that it is worth it. Change starts in small steps and I have found that simple swaps fit my lifestyle best right now. I would rather spend the extra money and have extra packaging if it means I am controlling my calories and habits in a way that is working. And I don't eat them to fill me up, I eat them as a treat like dessert or if I'm craving something sweet. Filling up on snacks is what got me here in the first place. Good luck to you!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Most of the ones available in normal stores don't have much in the way of nutrients... but hey, if you want a snack, and you know you can just eat one, it's nice to have around. I try to eat food with more nutrients though.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I keep some in my desk all the time for when I want a afternoon snack. I love the Cheese Nips and the Keebler Fudge Stripes. Also just tried Fiber One Peanut Butter Brownies (90 cal.) and they were pretty good. I don't eat them on a daily basis but they are good to have when you have a craving. Alot better then running to the nearest vending machine and getting chips or candy.

^^this. I can't trust myself to buy a regular package of oreo's thinking I would portion them out. They'd never make it to the baggies! If I want chocolate or something sweet, these work well for me. I take care of the craving without going overboard. However I should point out I don't "need" these very often, but I keep them around for when I do.