Meals based on the weather

Options
I do base my meals on the weather, but not on purpose! If it is rainy, cold, etc. I want something hot to warm me up inside. However, it usually a food that does not keep me full. I'm hungry within the hour. Especially since I have a desk job-so I have more time to think about it. But if it is sunny, warm, and a nice day-I'm all about the fruits, and yogurts (cold stuff)

My problem is this: I need a type or group of foods that will keep me warm AND full, and I won't shiver when I think about eating them. The winter is coming and it gets cold here in VA (to me anyway) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili???
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Hey fellow Virginian! I do the same thing. In the summer I like salads, fruits, etc. To make sure you are feeling full, make sure you have a proper amount of protein in your meals. (MFP is on the very low side of protein amts). And I agree with iplay...I LOVE chili in the winter. But I use soy crumbles since I'm a veggie. But soups, casseroles and such are good options.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    + Soups with meats and pasta.
    + Make a salad and keep chicken seperate. I heat of the chicken, then add it to the salad.
    + Steamed Veggies
    + Toast bread and make a veggie and cheese sandwich
  • KellenRae
    KellenRae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I third iplay's suggestion.

I live in VA too and I know what you're talking about.
    When it's chilly outside, I like to make my chicken black bean chili.

Ground chicken browned with diced onions.
    Then I throw in a can of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Both drained.
    Then I add seasonings like cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, etc. To give it more flavor.
    Finally, I find something to give it a little sauce... tomato paste works. Sometimes I use the juice from the beans or tomatoes. Can always thicken it up with a bit of cornstarch.

I have no idea if this is healthy. I like to think it is because of the simplicity of the ingredient list, but I haven't crunched the numbers yet. I just like it because it's simple, quick and warm-you-up yummy.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I third iplay's suggestion.

I live in VA too and I know what you're talking about.
    When it's chilly outside, I like to make my chicken black bean chili.

Ground chicken browned with diced onions.
    Then I throw in a can of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Both drained.
    Then I add seasonings like cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, etc. To give it more flavor.
    Finally, I find something to give it a little sauce... tomato paste works. Sometimes I use the juice from the beans or tomatoes. Can always thicken it up with a bit of cornstarch.

I have no idea if this is healthy. I like to think it is because of the simplicity of the ingredient list, but I haven't crunched the numbers yet. I just like it because it's simple, quick and warm-you-up yummy.

That recipe is very healthy if the cornstarch is left out..................
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    :smile: want to read later
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I love soups in the winter! It gets ridiculously cold in Michigan and I eat alot of soups! Look on www.realage.com they have some really good soup recipes!
  • startingnew09
    Options
    You guys are so awesome! Thank you SOOO much for all these ideas. They are very helpful and sound very tasty! I even think my husband will eat them...(pickiest eater in the world!) And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who eats this way!