Below 1000 calories

Options
124»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read your whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat:

*You need at least 1200 calories for your organs to function. Think of it this way--that will NOT turn into fat because your body is using it. For sure.

*Try substituting your chocolate drinks for a protein smoothie if you really aren't hungry in the morning. You will get some extra calories and some protein. You can make these drinks in such a way that you can take in a huge amount of calories if you need to. Fruit, vegetables like spinach blend right in, protein source (silken tofu, powder), peanut butter, milk of choice.

*Nuts are a very quick and easy way to sneak in calories without feeling too full, and they are good for you.

*Feel free to add me--I'm a short vegan so my days are usually not high but are at least 1200. :)
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "I'm not done for the day yet, calm down. I'm here to support people, too, just like everyone else. I don't understand why people who eat 3000 calories when their goal is 1200 are not insulted, if I am. I go under cals, they go over cals. No one would call an overweight person who consistently eats over their cal goal fat or obese, so how is it okay to call me anorexic?

If any of us were perfectly healthy, none of us would be here. I'm still learning, too, and I apologize if giving you advice from my own experiences was unhelpful or offensive. And if you want to unfriend me, I understand."

^^^^^^Thank you for this. I have seen cases of this repeatedly. New obese person joins and is trying to recover from overeating. Every day the person is eating 3,000 calories ABOVE the already ample amount of calories given to them by MFP. And you know what? Not one negative comment. All supportive and coddling. It's a really unfair double standard. I wish you luck with your journey. I wouldn't take worry too much about all the "starvation mode" experts out there.
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    Well, for starters, I think I need to describe myself....

1) I was once a Netball player, Bronze-Cross Life Safer and School Hockey Team.
    2) Worked as an outdoor guide which involves rock climbing and various pinnacle courses + Whitewater rafting.
    3) Injured my knee having 3 ligaments torn last year and was under sports rehab until the doctor says I'm free from it.
    4) Now my muscles start to get flabby due to insufficient exercise when compared to last time.
    5) Weight started gaining and I became not-so-fit.

My muscle mass percentage was higher when compared to my fat mass percentage when I took the test early last year. I believe that now my fat mass percentage is higher.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Again, because everyone is different.

I exercise and restrict to 1100, I don't ever get dizzy or feel funny, I'm not an idiot, if I felt ill or not right, I would obviously eat more.

Different things work for different people. I may be eating below my BMR or recommended amount etc etc but I have lost the weight on my ticker in 4 weeks. Go figure. I'm not going to stop when I'm losing it that quickly am I, I simply don't buy the starvation theory when you're eating 1100 etc calories a day.

Wow! Great job! You've only been here a month, this is only your 7th post but it sounds like you've figured it all out already. Good Job!
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    I drink one cup of green tea a day. I find that it does boost my metabolism. I don't drink a ton, though because of all the caffeine it has.

I agree with everyone on here - You should try to eat more. When I need a caloric boost, and I don't "feel" like eating (which just really never happens with me -I love food!), I add a tablespoon of coconut oil to my coffee/tea. Coconut oil is one of the best fats for you, and I think it tastes really good. You can put it in a warm beverage, or even just eat it plain.

So if you're drinking 2-3 cups of green tea a day, why not add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to your tea? It will add some flavor and give you about 130 extra calories a tablespoon.

Also, add weight lifting to your routine. I found that once I started lifting heavy, I lost more weight, and my appetite increased. MFP has me at 1260 calories a day, and I burn between 300-600 in exercise. I generally eat back all of my exercise calories. And even though MFP has me at 1260, I can barely stay at that. I usually end up at around 1,400 on days I don't exercise and about 1,700 on days I do. I've lost 11 pounds in 2 months.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your encouraging advice!!!
  • HarajukuGrrl
    Options
    I added more food into my diet and found myself super full.....=___=.... guess I need to change in a slower pace...

slow is fine! good that you seem to really be taking the good advice, people r so busy arguing, i dont think they noticed u heeding the positive advice! I absolutely get full too fast, and know i will never be able to eat a lot at once, but i have confidence that i could eventually get up to 6 small meals a day, even if you begin with 6 snacks, and build on that, as long as you're training your metabolism to be in work mode constantly, you'll be good! but keep trying to gradually build up calories, I was in an eating disorder clinic, on bed rest, i was so thin, b/c of not eating enough, now its hard for me to drop weight(im not underweight now) b/c i killed my metab!! Thats why i say as long as you try to eat throughout the day, as a start, it'll help. keep it up girl!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is such an overused term. If you eat 900 cals, your body is not going to go into starvation mode. It probably won't even if you eat 500, unless you do it consistently for weeks.

If you feel absolutely stuffed, don't eat. Eat when you're hungry and eat healthy when you do. Also eat healthy fats like nuts, beans, eggs, etc. :)

I, too, never really reach my 1000 - but I always feel full. I trust my body to tell me what I need.

I wish this website would block people who are unhealthy from giving others advice. Sure, you ate healthy things, but eating an apple, a sweet potato, and 1/2 cup of cereal ALL day is NOT healthy. Period. I hate to call people liars, but if you are up for more than 6 hours on a day like that, and doing nothing, you are hungry. All day. Stop giving people negative encouragement.

Also, if someone is saying it is OK to eat less than 1000 calories - check out their profile.

Our bodies lie - because of hormones, our bodies tell us we are hungry when we do not need to eat, and that we are not when we do need to eat.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you eat your meals but I've found eating more small meals throughout the day makes it easier to eat more calories throughout the day. After I started doing this I was able to eat all my calories without feeling like I was forcing myself to eat.

Great advice.

This question comes up a great deal on the boards. Your diary looks good you just need to add calories without making yourself too full. You can add coconut oil in the morning and afternoon and two snacks of cashews or other nuts during the day. This would easily and healthfully bump up you calories.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    U would have to have basically no body fat and not eat anything for your body to go into "starvation mode".

I eat anywhere from 1100-1300 calories daily and I burn 500-600 calories 5-6 days a week. I've been doing that for 4 months. I'm never dizzy. My menstrual cycles are fine. I have energy to workout. I don't feel hungry. I poop normal. I'm strong. Life is good.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    "I'm not done for the day yet, calm down. I'm here to support people, too, just like everyone else. I don't understand why people who eat 3000 calories when their goal is 1200 are not insulted, if I am. I go under cals, they go over cals. No one would call an overweight person who consistently eats over their cal goal fat or obese, so how is it okay to call me anorexic?

If any of us were perfectly healthy, none of us would be here. I'm still learning, too, and I apologize if giving you advice from my own experiences was unhelpful or offensive. And if you want to unfriend me, I understand."

^^^^^^Thank you for this. I have seen cases of this repeatedly. New obese person joins and is trying to recover from overeating. Every day the person is eating 3,000 calories ABOVE the already ample amount of calories given to them by MFP. And you know what? Not one negative comment. All supportive and coddling. It's a really unfair double standard. I wish you luck with your journey. I wouldn't take worry too much about all the "starvation mode" experts out there.

If you read the thread people were being encouraging to the OP. What they have an issue with is someone encouraging her to eat well below a level recommended by ANY nutritional/medical authority.

I am not sure about the posts you are refering to but I have never seen a post with someone consistently going way over their target and people saying 'don't worry about it - keep it up' which is essentially what that poster was doing.

There is NO double standard.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

2) Worked as an outdoor guide which involves rock climbing and various pinnacle courses + Whitewater rafting.
    3) Injured my knee having 3 ligaments torn last year and was under sports rehab until the doctor says I'm free from it.
    4) Now my muscles start to get flabby due to insufficient exercise when compared to last time.

My muscle mass percentage was higher when compared to my fat mass percentage when I took the test early last year. I believe that now my fat mass percentage is higher.

It sounds as if you really want to get a 'fitter looking physique' - so you will need to eat more so you can exercise those muscles to achieve that.

Have you always had a problem with eating anxiety or is it since you have started 'dieting'. Also, have you been eating this low for long?
  • soon_chaos
    Options

It sounds as if you really want to get a 'fitter looking physique' - so you will need to eat more so you can exercise those muscles to achieve that.

Have you always had a problem with eating anxiety or is it since you have started 'dieting'. Also, have you been eating this low for long?

Hmmm....good question....I need to reflect on myself for that...
    My limbs are slimmer if you compared it with my waist...I have this frustrating apple body shape even when I'm as active as above...after my sports rehab... I really stopped all exercises and my physical fitness really dropped....so my weight increased and my core section also increased in size....and my waist increased to a whooping 32''!!
    I keep on eating less to avoid gaining weight and go for vegies and fruits which are low carbo....I avoided starch like bread and rice and noodles....but my body is not getting anyway....quite frustrating actually...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hmmm....good question....I need to reflect on myself for that...
    My limbs are slimmer if you compared it with my waist...I have this frustrating apple body shape even when I'm as active as above...after my sports rehab... I really stopped all exercises and my physical fitness really dropped....so my weight increased and my core section also increased in size....and my waist increased to a whooping 32''!!
    I keep on eating less to avoid gaining weight and go for vegies and fruits which are low carbo....I avoided starch like bread and rice and noodles....but my body is not getting anyway....quite frustrating actually...

The reason I asked is if you have an anxiety about eating in general, you should definately see someone as others have suggested. However, it really seems to me (just my opinion) that it would be best if you upped your calories to be able to sustain your energy and to be able to work out. Try including some strength training in your routines as this really helps with body composition and with fat loss.

You are caught in a viscious cycle at the moment and 'chasing' the weight loss. You need to break that cycle. You probably need to really up your calories for a few weeks (and I mean way up) to give your body a chance to 'reset'. You may gain some weight during this time which I know is scary, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Here is a good thread to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience?
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is just not enough and especially for your height and weight. Your body is not able to function properly. I'm 160cm (10cm shorter than you) and weigh 54kg (10kg less) and I eat MORE than you. I eat, anywhere between 1500-2000 calories each day.

After looking at your diary though, you havent logged each day so I am unsure of your calories. I also noticed on one day that you had recorded only 5g of rice? This is only about one table spoon of rice. My advice (taken from what I've read and seen in your diary) would be to weigh and check the foods that you are logging each day and eat a minium of 1200 calories. This would include eating back your exercise calories..
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    Yes, many are unsure about the rice part~ I am cooking it into like very diluted porridge with the vegies and tofu~ so it came out porridge rather than rice~