What if one day you take more calories than you should?

Options
What do you do when you get too much calories above your daily goal one day? (example: 1000 calories) Do you cut off calories from the next days? Resulting in your body to go to starvation mode? Or do you burn them with exercice the next days?

Replies

• langurmonkey
    Options
    I would just chalk it up to experience and move on - it's only putting you one day behind your weight loss schedule, which in the context of your whole life isn't that big a deal.
  • Baurus
    Baurus Posts: 27
    Options
    exercise the next day. Always consider that it's 7500 cals in vs 7500 cals out to burn 2lbs. Just try to get a correct deficit at the end of the week.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If it is an unusual event (thanksgiving, christmas, wedding, etc), then just log all food and extra calories, and go back to your regular calorie limit next day.
    No need to compensate for the extra calories.

But if you regularly go above your calorie limit (like once a week or more), then definitively you need to compensate in the next days.
    To keep track and correctly compensate, you may want to move some of the food logged one day, to the next day.
    That way, you will automatically know how much less you need to eat to compensate.
    Again: only do this, if you regularly go above your calorie limit.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Nooo... don't yoyo! At worse that sort of behaviour can head towards anorexic tendencies. Just keep going the next day. Every day is a new day... you could exercise a *little* more or eat a *little* less, but it's best to not beat yourself up or wallow in guilt but draw a line under it and just keep going!

In the scheme of things, it may hurt your weight loss a bit that week but it won't make a difference long term.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you get too much calories above your daily goal one day? (example: 1000 calories) Do you cut off calories from the next days? Resulting in your body to go to starvation mode? Or do you burn them with exercice the next days?

Your body won't go into starvation mode eating under 1200 calories one day.

Your body doesn't reset overnight. I do not personally think there is anything wrong with eating less the next day to make up the difference. I do it all the time, I eat low cal one day, high cal the next. It is called calorie cycling. I never look at my daily calories, I only focus on achieving a weekly deficit.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    if you are on 1000 cals a day I'd up them anyway
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    One time is cool, if it's regular AND you see your weight going up, then you need to either eat less, exercice more, do both, or exercice more and eat more.
    but a day won't change anything, so enjoy ;)
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Somedays i do feel guilty, but ive never gone to 1000 cal excess. The most calorie excess i got was when i was craving for carbs on the day when my muscles became sore (a day after doing some strength exercises)

I also follow the zigzag/ cycle method where i give myself 1 day to have an excess calorie intake.
  • ssonia29
    ssonia29 Posts: 30
    Options

hi there,

1000cal is too low for any person , what about your exercise calories
    your net caloreis should be minimum 1200 for example

Net Calories = Daily Goal Calories – Exercise Calories
    1240 = 1840 - 600

if you not clear with my reply then ask me again or add me so i can see what is your intake and may be advise . eat less calories then your goal can put you into starvation mode or you might not lose fast or may result in slow Metabolism which in any situation not good if you are looking at long term health and weight loss .
  • fayereed
    fayereed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually try and make up for it the rest of the week, if even only partially. Though I struggle to do this I don't worry too much if I manage to stick the rest of the week. A few times though I have ended up giving up the rest of the week because of one bad day but I'm trying not to do that this time.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Honestly sometimes I just shrug it off and say hey we all have our bad days and this is mine...tomorrow is a new day and a whole new start:)

Yet sometimes the next day I just burn a few extra calories if im feeling bad
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When the OP mentioned 1000 calories, I think he was referring to going over by that many calories in a day, not saying that was the daily goal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If it is an unusual event (thanksgiving, christmas, wedding, etc), then just log all food and extra calories, and go back to your regular calorie limit next day.
    No need to compensate for the extra calories.

But if you regularly go above your calorie limit (like once a week or more), then definitively you need to compensate in the next days.
    To keep track and correctly compensate, you may want to move some of the food logged one day, to the next day.
    That way, you will automatically know how much less you need to eat to compensate.
    Again: only do this, if you regularly go above your calorie limit.

^^this - assuming you were 1000 over and not on 1000 in the first place ( I think there is some confusion there based on some ofte responses)
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When the OP mentioned 1000 calories, I think he was referring to going over by that many calories in a day, not saying that was the daily goal.

yup I think your right..need new specs lol
  • emily_kenyon
    emily_kenyon Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try not to wory about it and maybe do a little more exercise the next day i wouldnt eat less calories the next day this is what i sometimes do hope this helps :)
    7934927.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, a one off is not going to ruin all your hard work.

I might focus a little more on staying under the rest of the week, for example ~1-200 cals under instead of trying to hit exactly on my goal. Although, I'm on 2000 net, so even when I do that, it's not unhealthy. I wouldn't go below a healthy amount, just to make up for a bad day, take it as an experience and move on.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

First of all, your body would NOT go into starvation mode because you did not eat for a day, if it did, people who fast once per week (and there are some people who do that) would continually be in it. What would happen though, if you did not eat for a day, is that you would be ravenous and most likely eat anything and everything as soon as you started eating again. You could end up in a vicious circle.

If eating 1000 calories over one day is just a one-off, write that day off and continue as per normal the next day. If it is a regular occurrence, you would need to rethink your weightloss goals and your daily calorie allowance.
  • SweetStellar
    Options
    I say "HAHAHAHA" i go to bed, wake up, and start over.

<3
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I go over at least twice a week. I'm alright. I work hard, so I guess I haven't gained. Good luck
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    if you're set to 2lb/week loss and you're over by 1000 you're at maintenance. So next day just get back to you're deficit as normal.