binging

Options
i have been on mfp for 2 weeks and have had a good start at losing 3kg. but i am starting to lose motivation, i have problems with binge eating. does anyone else experience this and have any tips on getting past the addiction to FOOOD!

Replies

• psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the food addiction as I've been at this for 2 years and still have massive cravings and occasional pig outs. However, what helps me stick to it most of the time is:

Logging everything, seeing it there in black and white often puts me off adding more food to the list

Avoiding having trigger foods in the house, I find I'm not as bothered if I don't know I have stuff in the cupboard

Having a spike / cheat day once a week. It hasn't affected my weight loss and I always know I can have 'bad' stuff in a few days if I really want it

Finding something to do with my hands while I'm watching TV instead of snacking. Anything: sewing, ironing, making something.

When I get the boredom munchies I'll come on here and read some posts or do some crunches before eating, often the urge has gone if I distract myself with something else.

Well done on your 3kg and good luck x
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough, and eat many small meals instead of a few large meals. Drink more water. Increase your intake of vegetables and protein. It will make you less hungry :) that's the best advice I can give.

And yeah, get enough sleep. If you're tired, your body will crave (unhealthy) food because it needs energy.

Stress less :)
  • cmckenzie2
    Options
    I was (and will be) terrible for the odd binge - chocolate and bread and cheese mainly. Recently though I've been trying to eat more fruit/vegetables and drink more water and steadily I've found my cravings decreasing. I binged a bit on some chocolate last night - my biggest, biggest weakness - and it actually made me feel quite sick. In hindsight a couple of pieces would have been sufficient and I'll try this in the future.

Also I make sure I get a little bit of what I like every day if I want it. Instead of eating as much chocolate as I used to, I can generally get by on something like a kitkat for a snack in the evening and it does me! I think moderation is definitely the key - denying yourself something completely will only intensify the cravings.
  • amzelrulz
    amzelrulz Posts: 27
    Options
    I had alot of trouble with binge eating, I occaisionally still do.
    some of the tips that really help me was don't skip meals, if you're craving a certain food either have a little bit but if you know you're going to binge on it don't eat it infact don't even buy it. try binging on healthy foods e.g grape or even ice block or just plain ice works.
    hope this helps =)
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never keep potential binge foods in the house (I rarely buy cereal or bread anymore lol), and when I do buy foods I crave, I buy really high quality small portions of it. So, when I go out and buy chocolate, I'll buy a really small bar of high quality chocolate from a sweets shop or buy a single fancy cookie from a local pastry shop. The process of enjoying a food I crave becomes an outing and a specialty, not a potential tool to crash my lifestyle change. :) It's definitely cut down on my cravings because I only want the higher quality foods, and the amount I do get satisfies me for longer because the experience itself is a little special.

Otherwise, try drinking a lot of water (keep a full bottle or glass of water on your desk at all times!) and make you sure you get enough sleep.

My friend Phllly just put up a blog post about hunger vs appetite that hopefully might help too!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/phllly
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You could try adding it to MFP before eating it, rather than after. This means that you can see the impact of your next snack before you actually comit to eating it.

You could also try keeping a list of things that you didn't eat today. When my wife comes home from shopping, she never mentions how much she spent, but always how much she saved. If you are tempted to eat cake on three occasions during the day, but defeat the temptation twice, it's worth recording those two victories, even if your MFP log shows it as one defeat.
  • MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to - I think the main thing is not to beat yourself up if you do eat too much. People who binge often do it when they are upset, and if you feel guilty because you feel you eat too much you will get upset and eat more. Post more on here. Talking to people will be a distraction from food, if nothing else.
  • MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There is also a really good book called 'overcoming overeating' if you really feel binging is a problem for you. You can read extracts on amazon and you'll get a general idea of the message though, and won't need to buy it ;)
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to eat just for the sake of eating, and then suddenly I had the urge to improve, and with the help of one person reflecting on my diary every day, I changed my habbits!

I just started eating healthier fats, much more protein, less carbs, and stuck to the calories.

It is all about changing your mindset- but once you do, it is amazing!
  • emaggied
    emaggied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    me, me, me!

Am in exactly the same position - had a good three day binge after not being pleased with my weight loss - and now, I've got to motivate myself to start again.

It's linked to hormones and mood for me. I've spent years and years feeling like I am a crap person because of my inability to control my food intake. Until, it dawned on me that some people drink, some people exercise, some people kick their cat in response to emotional stress. I like to sit, watch telly and eat biscuits. That's ok in small doses!

So now, I don't feel too bad after a binge. Today, I am back on MFP. I am logging and going out for a run today. I feel better already. If you are in this for the long jaul you need to be kind to yourself and accept it's not going to be easy to kick the habit of reaching for food.

Don't worry, keep going.
  • de2brown
    de2brown Posts: 33
    Options
    thank you so much to everyone for your very helpful tips, they helped a lot. i agree, once you have a little binge you feel upset cos u did and then eat more, its all in my head haha i do not need my choccy buscuits :P haha. thanks guys, its a new day, fresh start :) anyone feel free to friend me and we can support one another when we feel like binging :P