Not losing weight

Options
Hi,
I read the book Lose the wheat lose the belly. Today is day 17 of no wheat, no sugar. I feel wonderful however I haven't lost any weight. Don't get me wrong, my point was to feel better and if I happened to lose some weight along the way, that would be an extra bonus. I need to lose about 60 pounds and a food plan such as this for most people usually results in some good weight loss results especially the first two weeks, not for me. I am only moderately exercising but the book and most people report weight loss with no exercise at first with this plan. I am taking synthroid for a thyroid issue, I take over the counter allergy meds and I just wonder if either of these could have anything to do with me not losing weight on this program. If anyone has any insight to this, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping track of calories - I'm a coeliac so no wheat or gluten for me but it is still possible to eating too many calories (I've put on 7 stone)
  • natrobsun
    Options
    No I haven't been counting calories. I'm also not celiac but the book says you shouldn't have to count calories. Maybe that's what I need to do though. i'm eating a lot of nuts, maybe too many....I'll try counting my calories this week & see if it makes a difference. Thank you.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. It might be a good idea to track cals for a while.
  • KavemanKarg
    KavemanKarg Posts: 266
    Options
    To many nuts can easily sabotage weight loss. It is a common mistake many make.

Nuts should be an occasional thing. Consider something like beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, etc... if you need more food on the wheat belly plan.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For some time I had to stop eating wheat and dairy. I put on weight. I also didn't count calories back then. Start counting caloires. If you are cutting out wheat, make sure it is for a health reason, not a lose weight reason. When I had to, my diet was being monitored by a Dr more or less to make sure I got my micro nutrients. Wheat is good for you, in moderation.

14839892.png
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Nuts will get you every time. they are healthy but packed with calories.

I have a huge nut fetish (hehehe that looks so naughty when I write it.) and figured out that was how I was easily going over calories and basically stunting any weight loss. Sure I wasn't eating junk food, but I was eating too much!
  • KavemanKarg
    KavemanKarg Posts: 266
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. It might be a good idea to track cals for a while.

Yet statistically this approach results in permanent weight loss for less than 2% of people. It is a highly simplified and ultimate incorrect view of how the body processes food.

As explained quite well in wheat belly, where those calories come from have a HUGE impact on how your body shunts them around. Some calories litterally pass right through without ever being able to turn to fat in your belly, such as coconut oil. It is virtually impossible for coconut oil to turn to fat, and the same thing with other medium chain fatty acids.

It is also virtually impossible for fat cells to grow larger and hold more if insulin is not present.

These two statements display a "mechanism for action" and can and have been verified over and over and can even be tracked with medical imaging. Caloric deficit, on the other hand has a demonstrated mechanism for action in that long term caloric deficit simply slows metabolism in the end, negating its weight loss benefit. It is, for a population, been wholy unsuccessful and results in hungry people who after a few months simply get frustrated.

Sure, there is the odd person that powers through hunger, and through amazing force of will carries on to target weight and may even remain there. 2% actually. This has been measured and counted.

All this is easily discovered if you care to look. It has been proven over and over again, countless times. Starting as far back as the late 1800s. Metabolic ward studies were done in the 20s and 30s proving this. The science has been in for almost a century.

No eating plan guarantees weight loss, but looking at calories alone is beyond simplistic. A chocolate bar and a couple of eggs could have the same amount of calories, but you can live off eggs in perfect health and at perfect weight, where the same amount of chocolate bars is going to have you fatter and fatter. And while nobody would eat a diet solely of eggs or solely of chocolate bars, it does underline the point I making.

As science advances we are discovering the power of leptin and its ability to mess with us and create a new "set point". A point where your body feels is the new correct weight for you. And now we are fighting homeostatis. Eat few calories? No problem says the body, let me slow the metabolic rate until we have balance again. You will never overcome this if your only strategy is calories because that does not address nutrients or lack of nutrients or the fact the body reacts completely differently to nutrient types regardless of their calories.

Whenever I read that its all about calories, I say to myself there is a person that has either ignored just about every single clinical trial ever done in the past 100 years, or does not want to accept their results.

The research is there, in great abundance if you care to look.
  • lifejoy
    lifejoy Posts: 2
    Options
    OMG! sounds familar...I too must lose 60lbs, I too have a thyroid issue and I'm taking 125 Mg of Synthoid. Its is definitely a challenge to lost weight. But it must be done if we're 60 lbs over weight, It wil happen!. Things to think about.....is there any chance you actually lost weight? meaning...is your scale reliable, can it be off by a pound of 2? are you having soy sauce, sodium? Also, if you started a moderate workout program....do you know that your body will hoard water and blood volume will increase? Lets be patient and keep on track.....dont get discouraged! - Maria
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As I am sure you are aware, calories out being greater than calories in will lead to weight loss, but you also mentioned that you are on synthroid...I am assuming this is for Hypothyroidism? Whilst you probably know this, hypothyroidism can lead to weight gain, and even though you may of been told that the synthroid can help to alleveiate this (normally people who are being treated with synthroid lose a small amount of weight naturally), it isn't an absolute.

The trick now is perhaps "revving up" your metabolism by altering you eating habits, do you eat three normal meals a day, or five-six smaller meals? Smaller more frequent meals would keep your metabolism higher for longer, also attempt to be active as possible. Finally be very careful not to drop you calories too low, certainly not below your BMR, throwing your body into starvation mode would lead to you very quickly hitting a wall.

Not a hard and fast answer, just some points to consider.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i've just decided to cut down on nuts this morning because i've noticed no wieght loss in two weeks . i've been eating them daily 1 oz or 1/4 cup a day. i'm aiming to cut it down to maybe every other day and see if that mkes a difference. i've cut my calories down to 1700 average with 1 cheat day but it's not really making me lose. so i too am tyring to find a solution. i don't really want to cut out any groups of food.. but i need to be more careful in how i eat them and choose them. i would tell you to log your calories and look at what kinds of foods you are using to replace the wheat and sugar products. stick to serving sizes.
  • natrobsun
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, first off, the reason I tried the no wheat/no sugar thing is because I have very bad allergies and am so tired of having allergy attacks, I thought I could have a wheat/sugar allergy. Since following this plan, my allergies still remain however, I noticed other issues getting better, my carpel tunnel is SO much better, no heartburn, no reflux and I just feel better.
    My scale is relatively new and accurate, as of this morning I have lost 1 pound in 17 days. If you've read this book, you know that he says you should not have to count calories or eat nuts in moderation. I drink lots of water. Maybe it's the thyroid issue? Also though the book says that no wheat/sugar can FIX your thyroid, maybe I don't need the medication anymore but can't afford to run to the Dr for blood tests to check my thyroid and don't just want to stop taking my medication, I'm also taking 125 mg/day of synthroid. I'm going to continue the plan, try to add in some weight training and cut down on the nuts & see what happens this week.
  • natrobsun
    Options
    Lifejoy maybe we can work together to figure this out. Sounds like we are both motivated and determined to do this. Are you following any particular plan?