Scales with body fat % - UK

Hi guys
I've been thinking about purchasing scales with body fat and muscle % analyser. Are they a waste of time or should I give them a go
also any brands you could recommend - available in the UK, I was looking at Salter stainless steel one (from Argos) but don't want to be spending 30 quid if it's unreliable - I have enough junk in the house without adding another piece haha
thanks

Replies

• sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    i'm wondering about this too. bump!
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    I got a set of weight watchers ones (on sale at £30 - original price was £80!). I get pretty consistent and believable readings from them so far, they do weight, body fat % and water %. You have to program in your details to get accurate readings though :)
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    My trainers at the gym said that the body fat readings on the scales are completely inaccurate. I have a friend who is a marathon runner and in awesome shape. Our trainer just measured her at the gym (with calibers and another machine that is said to be very accurate) and it said 13% body fat. Her scale at home said 22%. I could be wrong but I just don't see how a scale can be that accurate--how can it tell what is fat and what is muscle, water etc...?
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Complete waste of money! If you want to measure your body-fat, get a pair of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accu-Measure-Fitness-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74
    Then go here http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    And follow the guide :smile:
  • ania0307
    ania0307 Posts: 49
    thanks guys
    last night i ordered body fat calipers on ebay :) can't wait to start measuring (and getting depressed looking at the results)
  • I got a set of weight watchers ones (on sale at £30 - original price was £80!). I get pretty consistent and believable readings from them so far, they do weight, body fat % and water %. You have to program in your details to get accurate readings though :)

I have these! They're great but I've lost the little feet on mine :( I got them in the sale and they've lasted a couple of years so far.
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    @littlefreckle - the WW scales have a lifetime guarantee from the company, have you phoned them up? I've kept the booklet from mine just in case anything ever goes wrong :)
  • @littlefreckle - the WW scales have a lifetime guarantee from the company, have you phoned them up? I've kept the booklet from mine just in case anything ever goes wrong :)

No I haven't phoned them up,i wonder if they would give me some replacement feet for free? I think I have the booklet lying around somewhere haha.At the moment,I'm using a flat piece of wood underneath for an accurate reading.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    DONT - scales and for that many any other kind of digital device that supposedly tells body fat % are innacurate as hell because they cant tell the difference between lean muscle and fat they just go off weight height and age, for example I am around 7% body fat, but because I am composed of mostly muscle, (and bone and organs and water obviously) those things tell ME that I have 20% body fat..so thats just an example of how innacurate they are
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    thanks for the tips, i'll save my money!