30 day shred - is 2 times a week enough?

Options
My first post here and I'm after some advice. I'm getting back into exercise after 5 months off injured and am keen to keep running 3 days a week as I build up to join a running club.

I'd also really like to start 30 day shred as the DVD is gathering dust on my shelf. I've had a watch and it seems great to build in some strength training to my running and ease me in gently but with the running and work commitments I reckon I could only fit in 2 or 3 days of 30ds a week... Is that enough?

I'm not looking for a quick fix, I geniunely want to build my fitness back but will I still see the benefit putting cardio in between so much? I did a search but seems everyone is pretty dedicated to doing it a lot more than I can fit in - any tips or experiences very much appreciated!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you can get 2 - 3 days per week in addition to your running, go for it! I think it will compliment what you're already doing. And if there are weeks when you can get an extra day in, do that; if you can only get two, don't sweat it.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    yes as long as your doing other things. I use it as a supplement and do it only 2 or 3 days a week. I am now on level 2. I also do cardio 5 or 6 hours a week and pilates 2 hrs a week. This is what fits my lifestyle. The important thing is keep your workout tailored to meet your schedule and needs.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    YEAH that's fine.

worst workout= no workout so 2 is plenty
  • jeaninemckinney
    jeaninemckinney Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I figure doing it a few days is better then none! Fit it in when u can and u will feel stronger if u stick with it! U will probably stick with itmore if your only doing it a few days a week so u dont get bored with it! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • gymcholo
    gymcholo Posts: 10
    Options
    You definetly want to keep a routine though. Try not to get discouraged if you cannot fit anymore than your max amount. The other thing is if you were on the injury list then are coming back ease into the motion every two weeks and once you go month to month change up the ROUTINE. Don't get used to the same route or the same training exercise on the same day at the same hour because you WILL plateau and then you'll wonder what happened, why is my body not changing. Mix it up and if ANYTHING have FUN! Listen to thy body especially if your coming out of the injury list, chances are you ran your self hard the first time around. Good luck.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I used 30 day shred as my "cross training" on alternating days when I didn't run a few months ago. It sounds like you're doing something similar? It's a good workout and something is always better than nothing. It's a great beginner strength building routine.
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I am following the same path; my real workouts are 3x per week spinning, 3x per week strength training, and a lot of weekend outdoor cycling and climbing, however none of those give me the intensity that Jillian packs into a 30 day shred (particularly levels 2 and 3). I fit those in if I don't have time for my hour long+ workouts, or if I feel like one wasn't intense enough. I'd love to do them 30 days consecutively, but I think I'd have to start limiting my other activities!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Like everyone said, 2 is better than none. It took us about 3 months to get through the 30DS program. We are going to start switching between the levels probably in the next 2 weeks. Each level focuses on different areas. Since it is only a 20 minute program we have also been doing a 20 minute Zumba express for added cardio, but with your running you are already getting that. We usually are getting 4-5 days a week depending on what is going on with the kids and dogs during the week. Also if you find that some days you do not have the time to exercise, you can do a minute of cardio while waiting for something to cook. My coworkers laugh at me because I will do some of Jillian's cardio stuff while I am waiting for my centrifuge to stop at work. That is 30-45 seconds, but If I do it 20-30 times a day, I get a good work out.
  • apjc33
    apjc33 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Think I'll use it to support my running and fit it in where I can rather than try to commit to too much too soon.

I got my injury from going too hard on a new exercise so have more than learnt my lesson. Thanks for all the advice, I'm off to start shredding!