Please help!!! I'm looking for Quinoa Recipes ....

Options
13»

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    bump (definitely need to try some of these!)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My Quinoa Veggie Bake:

Cook 1 cup of Quinoa plain - so it is slightly undercooked.

In another pot:

1 cup of fat free milk (organic of course)
    3 grated Trader joes organic cheddar cheese sticks (or what ever organic, low fat cheese you want to use)
    2 cups of veggies - like frozen spinach and peas - but anything works
    1 tablespoon of Trader Joes SOuth African smoke flavor spice (or some paprika, peper, salt, chili powder)

Melt the cheese in the milk, add the veggies into it's nice in creamy.... fold in the quinoa - put in baking dish - put one grated cheese stick on top -or what ever cheese you want to use - bake in the oven 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden bubbly brown.

Yum :)
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered Quinoa so bumping so I can follow. Right now we are adding it to pretty much every salad. The other day I took some to work and had it with a greek salad from work and some steamed shrimp all tossed together. It was awesome. Normally I would eat that greek salad and some edamame and be hungry in a few hours. This time I could not even finish the salad and was stuffed. quinoa really fills you up.

The steamed shimp sound lovely!!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Oh...so many good ideas! I throw in artichokes from a jar/w oil and wild rice with a splash of spice V-8 and other various spices.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites, from Mark Bittman. (It's great if you throw in some kale, too!)

Recipe:

Roasted Quinoa with Potatoes and Cheese
    By Mark Bittman
    From the How to Cook Everything Vegetarian® app

Introduction:

When you boil quinoa for a couple of minutes, then roast it in oil, it develops a crispness that's almost like nuts. Here the crisp‐roasted quinoa almost coats the potatoes, and you finish the whole thing off with melted cheese. If you can find purple potatoes, use them here. With a simple green salad—and in summer, sliced ripe tomatoes—this is a perfect lunch or light supper. With scrambled eggs, warm tortillas, and salsa, it's weekend breakfast. Add any good bean dish and you have a satisfying dinner. Other grains you can use: amaranth, fine bulgur (#1).
    Ingredients:

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 pound small waxy potatoes, like fingerling, new red, or Peruvian purple, peeled if you like and cut lengthwise into wedges
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled
    Salt
    ¾ cup quinoa
    Freshly ground black pepper
    ½ cup sliced scallion
    1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
    1 or 2 tablespoons minced fresh chile (like jalapeño or Thai), or to taste, or hot red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste
    6 ounces cheese, preferably smoked, like cheddar, Gouda, or mozzarella, grated (about 1½ cups)
    ¼ cup minced parsley for garnish

Steps:
    Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease an 8 × 10‐inch roasting pan with a tablespoon or so of the olive oil.
    Put the potato wedges and garlic in a large pot with water to cover, salt it, and turn the heat to high. When the water begins to boil, stir in the quinoa. Adjust the heat so that the water boils assertively and cook, stirring once or twice, for about 5 minutes.
    Drain the quinoa, garlic, and potatoes in a strainer, but leave them fairly wet. Spread them into the prepared pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with the remaining olive oil, and gently toss with a spatula. Spread them out again. Roast, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Gently toss again, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and return the pan to the oven for another 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender on the inside and golden on the outside.
    Add the scallion, bell pepper, and chile and toss everything one last time. Taste and adjust the seasoning, keeping in mind that the cheese will add some saltiness. Spread the cheese over all and return to the oven for another 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Quinoa can make a pretty yummy veggie burger also
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/quinoa-burgers.php
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    Bump!
  • Ambiance247
    Ambiance247 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is something that I came up with through trial and error:

1/4 cup of quinoa
    1/4 cup of frozen chopped onions
    1/4 tsp of chicken bouillon
    1/4 tsp of minced garlic
    1/2 cup of water

Add water, garlic, onion, and bouillon to a small pot and bring to a rolling boil. Add quinoa and simmer for 5-7 minutes. That's it. Simple. It is about 191 calories and it makes one serving.
  • alikatu
    alikatu Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    On a side note to this topic-- can you make quinoa in a rice cooker? If so, do you use the whole grain setting or the white rice setting? Is it the same as cooking rice where you put in one part grain to two parts water? Sorry to hijack the post!

also wondering this!

Yes, you can. Same 2-1 ratio and, as in another reply in this Posting, I also cook it in broth, or throw in a bullion cube, and some sweet peppers and spices, and I find that it takes the "earthy" edge off the Quinoa flavour. Of course, through trial and error, your rice cooker may require more or less water than the 2-1 ratio. You know that Quinoa is ready when its "tail" unwinds, lol.

Anyone try Quinoa patties / cakes / burgers???
  • alikatu
    alikatu Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My rice cooker also has its heat source from the bottom, so I find I have to stir my Quinoa/Rice a few times throughout the cooking process.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just recently found out how to pronounce quinoa and bought some. :) These recipes sound great.