Runners: Increasing my current pace

Options
Hi,

I'm currently averaging about 7.1 mph @ 3 mile interval. I would like to get to 8 mph. I've been running for about 4 years on/off. I have been pretty dedicated this last year.

What techniques would you recommend to do this? How long does it typically take.

Replies

• Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a slow runner but I hear sprinting is supposed to really help. For me now endurance is more important and I think the speed will eventually come a I start going longer distances. From what I read you should a couple of times a week do a shorter run and a higher intensity and then once a week a slow long run.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes, to get faster you need to do some speedwork. This can be tempo runs, intervals, track speed sessions, treadmill work, etc.

I'm a big believer in.... if you want to run faster then you must run faster.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    1) Plyometrics.
    2) intermittent sprints during your runs
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    HR Zone training can really help you speed up. I could go in to more detail, but there are whole websites dedicated to zone training for endurance athletes that will be much more helpful than any explanation I could give.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Intervals
    Hill repeats
    Longer "long runs"
    Tempo Runs
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hill repeats
    Hill repeats
    Hill repeats

and the stuff the guy above me said
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles

then some speedwork
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wow for me, 7.5mph is sprinting. I jog at around 6mph. Uphill, I slow down to 5. I can't imagine how long I could last at 8.

Sorry, this is a useless post. I was just amazed at the question.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As others have said, hills, intervals, and add some longer runs to your program and you'll get faster over 3 miles.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    And get off the dreadmill and hit the pavement!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    HIITs have helped me enormously as far as pace goes. Doing just 2 sessions/week of 3:1 sprint/rest for about 20 minutes each helped me get my time down by 11 minutes since January (current best in my picture!). I am still working on getting the mileage above 5 miles/8ks though.
  • agentvargas2012r
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!

1500m
    6:53
    the mile
    7:25
    3000m(3k)
    14:21
    3200m(about 2 miles)
    15:22
    5000m(5k)
    24:39
    8000m(8k)
    40:35
    5 miles
    40:50
    10,000m(10k)
    51:25
    ten miles
    1:25:08
    a half marathon
    1:53:20
    a marathon
    3:56:18

So say, these are the different types of things I could do, what would a typical training week look like?
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 20K run since the first week in march (race is June 2nd) and yesterday I ran my furthest distance ever (11.4 miles) at my slowest pace ever (5.68mph) since I started training. Not sure what to think about that? I am usually in the 6.2-6.5mph range when training. Next weekend is my 20k trial run and I set a 2hr goal. Thank you for starting the forum for other runners with pace issues.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm currently averaging about 7.1 mph @ 3 mile interval. I would like to get to 8 mph. I've been running for about 4 years on/off. I have been pretty dedicated this last year.

What techniques would you recommend to do this? How long does it typically take.

Interval training will help, say something like 8 x 400m at 75% maximum sprint speed. In between each rep, wait until your heartrate goes back down to 120bpm and then do the next rep.

Word of warning though, make sure you do those sprints on grass, because sprinting on concrete makes you a prime target for shin splints and believe me, it is just not worth it.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Before I started my 20k training in March, I was worried about how my body would feel after running on pavement because I had only run on treadmills for the past few years. Now I almost hate getting back on that thing to run distance (issues come up during training, but I still want to get some kind of training in). Next winter I think I will just do fast walking at an incline and wait for spring to arrive to "hit the pavement".
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    All of the posts about intervals are dead on for increasing your speed. I think this is the easiest tip. Find a running group to join with runners of various paces. Tag along with a pace that is faster than yours. Soon you will be able to keep up with them.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Before I started my 20k training in March, I was worried about how my body would feel after running on pavement because I had only run on treadmills for the past few years. Now I almost hate getting back on that thing to run distance (issues come up during training, but I still want to get some kind of training in). Next winter I think I will just do fast walking at an incline and wait for spring to arrive to "hit the pavement".

Hi CMS, there is one way you could still do sprint work, do it on grass or sand or any ground that is softer and gives, you will be fine and still be able to run outside.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Any training program for a runner of your level should include all of the following.

LSD
    Tempo
    Strides
    Intervals
    Hills
    Easy

The frequency and pace of each depends upon where you are in your training cycle. If you really want to get a good idea about how to structure your training to maximize performance, read Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels or hire a coach.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Any training program for a runner of your level should include all of the following.

LSD
    Tempo
    Strides
    Intervals
    Hills
    Easy

The frequency and pace of each depends upon where you are in your training cycle. If you really want to get a good idea about how to structure your training to maximize performance, read Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels or hire a coach.
    ^^^^ SInce you've already been running a while and have a good base I also recommend you buy and read "Jack Daniel's Running Formula." You can get it at Barnes and Noble or online.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    How many mpw?
    That's not enough.

Speed work is the icing on the cake. You don't have the cake baked yet.