Not even 1 pound in 4 months!

Options
I am a 31 year old woman. I gained a LOT of weight with my pregnancy two years ago. A lot. Over 80 pounds. I quickly lost about 50 of it soon after my daughter was born. But that stubborn remaining 30 will not come off.

I work out 4-5 days a week, sometimes more, NEVER less. I typically burn between 400-500 calories a session. I run (well, jog), do the stationary bike and the nautilus machine. I also have a pretty active daily life, chasing after a toddler and living in a city (lots of walking).

I have been doing this since January 2nd.

I just started on MFP two weeks age, but have kept a food diary since January and KNOW I was burning enough calories to be losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.

I am the EXACT same weight I was when I started! Not any fluctuation either way. I am the exact same weight I was when I dropped those 50 lbs after my daughter was born. Exactly 167 (I'm 5'6 and want to be 137, my pre-pregnancy weight). I actually bought a new scale bc I was convined it was malfunctioning.

I have been to the doctor and had my thyroid tested, and supposedly it is functioning perfectly. Other than that the doctor was no help and couldn't tell me why I wasn't losing weight. I requested a referral to an endocrinologist and she gave it to me, but the appointment is not for another three months.

I am so frustrated. I feel like I have been working so hard and have really made those life changes you are supposed to, and I have nothing to show for it. I am discouraged! Why am I doing this? For a year I didn't exercise or monitor my diet and I stayed 167. Now, I am busting my butt and am still 167. Why??

I know the whole muscle weighs more argument, but I find it very unlikely that I would lose the exact amount of fat that I gained in muscle... :)

Anyone else had this happen or heard of it happening to anyone? Thanks for listening to my vent!

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    you'll need to open your diary so peole can see what you are eating.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You poor thing that must be SO frustrating.

Your diary is closed, if you could open it you would get much better advice.

How many calories per day do you eat?
  • AFIMM
    AFIMM Posts: 9
    Options
    Sorry about that! Newbie here! I opened it. Let me have it!
  • AFIMM
    Options
    Sorry for multiple posts...
    I eat 1510 now that I have joined MFP. Before, when I was doing it by myself, it was a strict 1200. I don't do cheat days, but I do like dessert. I try to keep it at a minimum though and only if it will keep me under the calorie limit.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Still not open OP :)
  • kiters
    kiters Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you lost inches?
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Are you smaller than you were 4 months ago. With all the exercise you do maybe you should comcentrate on body fat % instead of just the scale. I hope some of the training experts join in because if you are exercising alot you may need to eat more (especially protein) to build more muscle to support your training.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    try incorporating more fruit and veggies into your diet. I dont believe all calories are equal and you have some junk food in there. Eating cleaner will get more results
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" I weigh 271. My GOAL is 175. I am a large framed woman. Have you ever had your measurements done to see what size frame you have?
  • AFIMM
    Options
    I just checked, it's open. Maybe it needed a minute to update?

I did not start out taking measurements, so I have no idea. Honestly, I thought it would just melt off. I was eating ice cream and pizza three times a week and overeating to the point of feeling yucky before. This was a huge change for me.

I did stop breast feeding in October. So, this may be a factor...

My clothes fit about the same. Some days they are looser and some not so much. I attribute that to water weight. My husband says he notices a difference, but I think he is just tying to be supportive. I have not heard it from anyone else.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I looked at one day and you ate 600 and some calories. That is why you are not losing. You have to eat food to lose.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    Sorry for multiple posts...
    I eat 1510 now that I have joined MFP. Before, when I was doing it by myself, it was a strict 1200. I don't do cheat days, but I do like dessert. I try to keep it at a minimum though and only if it will keep me under the calorie limit.

Were you netting 1200? (Calories eaten- calories burned =1200) or just eating 1200 either way?

Also how are you gauging how many calories your burning? Do you have a HRM you've entered your weight, age and heart into that is telling you? Or are you going by the machine and general numbers?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    having looked at your diary there seems to be a lot of cheese and not much in the way of fresh stuff. Maybe try changing the type of food you eat to more clean eating and see if that makes a difference. Your heart will thank you too. (PS I love cheese too and that, along with wine is my nemisis)
  • Lozze
    Options
    OP I just did your BMR and TDEE from this website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

From that your BMR us 1546. BMR is how many calories you need to survive if you were in a coma. You are currently not eating that. If you're very overweight (which you are not, you're not far off getting into the 'normal' scale of BMI, as flawed as that method is) you can eat a couple of hundred under, but the closer you are to your goal weight the closer you need to be to that goal. That is the aboustle minimum you need to be eating.

Based on the website, for your level of activity you should be eating at 2193. I know that's a lot of calories so maybe even consider 1946 or 1698 (for the record I'm someone who is 226lb and I eat 1698.And am still losing weight regularly) If you choose to use this method (except if you choose sedentary) remember that your exercise has been built in so you shouldn't be eating exercise calories back.

Have you considered adding a weight routing to your exercise?
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am a 31 year old woman. I gained a LOT of weight with my pregnancy two years ago. A lot. Over 80 pounds. I quickly lost about 50 of it soon after my daughter was born. But that stubborn remaining 30 will not come off.

I work out 4-5 days a week, sometimes more, NEVER less. I typically burn between 400-500 calories a session. I run (well, jog), do the stationary bike and the nautilus machine. I also have a pretty active daily life, chasing after a toddler and living in a city (lots of walking).

I have been doing this since January 2nd.

I just started on MFP two weeks age, but have kept a food diary since January and KNOW I was burning enough calories to be losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.

I am the EXACT same weight I was when I started! Not any fluctuation either way. I am the exact same weight I was when I dropped those 50 lbs after my daughter was born. Exactly 167 (I'm 5'6 and want to be 137, my pre-pregnancy weight). I actually bought a new scale bc I was convined it was malfunctioning.

I have been to the doctor and had my thyroid tested, and supposedly it is functioning perfectly. Other than that the doctor was no help and couldn't tell me why I wasn't losing weight. I requested a referral to an endocrinologist and she gave it to me, but the appointment is not for another three months.

I am so frustrated. I feel like I have been working so hard and have really made those life changes you are supposed to, and I have nothing to show for it. I am discouraged! Why am I doing this? For a year I didn't exercise or monitor my diet and I stayed 167. Now, I am busting my butt and am still 167. Why??

I know the whole muscle weighs more argument, but I find it very unlikely that I would lose the exact amount of fat that I gained in muscle... :)

Anyone else had this happen or heard of it happening to anyone? Thanks for listening to my vent!

Just opened your breakfast today, Sunday and 680 cals is way too much for breakfast and the stuff you had was very unhealthy, this right here could be your problem. You must be over on cals, the food is probably heavy, fattening things. I did not have the time to look back at your other days so maybe this is just a cheat day. Need fruits and veggies and cleaner items and having a 700 cal breakfast leaves you little else for the rest of the day. Smaller, evenly spaced meals would be better on your digestion and over all cal count.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Your overall calories look pretty good. A few ideas... Your protein and water intake both look really low and you are eating a lot of carbs. I am not advocating a low carb diet, but if your body is producing insulin to process carbs, the insulin prevents your body from removing fat from fat cells.

Try choosing carbs that have lower glycemic index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index). Try increasing your protein. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, even if you aren't tracking it in MFP.

Read the section on Insulin and Lipid (Fat) Metabolism: http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/pancreas/insulin_phys.html
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of processed carbs in your diet but i only looked back one week. Instant oatmeal, tortillas, cookies, popcorn, pancakes. These are all things i love too but i had to cut most of them out. Up your vegtable and fruit intake and get some more lean protein in there. Fish, chicken or consider a protein shake in the morning if you are on the run. Good luck!!!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OP, I had the same problem after having worked out at the gym for 4 mos. It's your diet. Go back and cut out refined and processed foods. Less carbs and sugar. Cook more. Read your labels. Avoid soy and HFCS. Veggies and lean meats are great for you.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't see you eating enough protein or fruits and veggies. You eat a lot of processed foods and carbs. I'm sure if you had your sodium and sugars showing on your food diary that both would be very high-- you should put those on so you can track them.

Take a look at my diary for cleaner eating. I'm 5'6" or so, and I'm 128 right now. My happy weight is 125, and I never thought I could be smaller than 135 or so!

I try to drink a gallon of water a day, and I don't drink anything else. I keep my sodium and sugar down. I've actually been having protein bars lately because of different things happening, but I prefer not to have those if possible either.

You aren't eating like you're trying to lose weight, honestly. But you need to make changes and stick to them as a lifestyle if you want to lose the weight and keep it off for good.
  • kungfuflyer
    kungfuflyer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You should add a lot more strength training into your workouts. Strength training has been proven to burn more calories and fat then cardio alone.