runners, please help me out!

Options
So I've never really been a runner. I'm trying to change that though. However, every time I run I get shin splints! I don't know what to do! Even if I run for just a few minutes (stretching first) my shins end up killing me after two days of it! So I ice them and don't run for a week or so, doing other exercises such as elliptical or biking until my shins feel better. Then I'll try running again and get shin splints again. It's a vicious cycle that I can't seem to break. Not only is this mildly painful, but EXTREMELY frustrating. Any tips/advice/feedback would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's your shoes? Have you had your running shoes fitted by someone at a running shoe store? Just a thought.
  • sarah_7626
    sarah_7626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hmmm no, I have not. That's a good idea. I will have to go do that. Thank you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    On top of getting fitted with proper shoes, when you are starting up running, it's better not to do it every day, instead skip at least one day after your running day.
  • TylerB1089
    Options
    How long is your stride? Try running with a shorter stride. It allows for a quicker leg turn over and will have less impact on your shins.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Shoes do make a big difference! I had the same problem when I started, but as I ran more they went away. In the meantime, the best advice anyone gave me for shin splints was to spell out the alphabet with your toes while you are lying down. Sounds goofy, but it is a great way to stretch those sore muscles!

Hang in there! Hope you start feeling better!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Go to a legitimate running store. Have them access your shoes and your form. Do you run on your toes? I am thinking you are not wearing the right kind of shoes and you have an incorrect foot strike (you should be landing mid foot towards the beginning of the heal).
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked this question as I too am just starting (or want to start) running, but also deal with shin splints. I had someone tell me that I'm "not relaxing my toes". So, the last time I went out for a walk I felt them coming on and I tried real hard to focus on relaxing my toes....and it really did help. Have not tried running with this information though. Good luck to you!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    As other people have said, I'd get some good running shoes. Also, try running slower and shorter distances and gradually build up.
    Good luck! :smile:
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended taking 2 ibuprophen about an hour before you run, and then ice afterwards. It worked for me, and after a few weeks, when I became more used to running, the shin splints stopped. It may be helpful to shorted your distances at first, or try intervals of walking and running.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How long is your stride? Try running with a shorter stride. It allows for a quicker leg turn over and will have less impact on your shins.

THIS! I used to get a lot of pain from running in the beginning, but it was because I was doing it all wrong! It sounds silly, but lookup some websites/guides on running form and it will help a TON. I never knew your feet should land pretty much below your hips, rather than in front of you... ever since I focused on that, no more knee or shin pain!
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else.. good shoes, start slow in distance and speed, try different strides and stretch..
    Also, try running every other or every third day.

Strength training on all your leg muscles (and your core) could help, often if muscles are weak it can led to injury.
  • sarah_7626
    sarah_7626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks everyone! :)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just want to second: SHOES! And then also so important to strength train your legs and your core. Follow the rule of 10%, do not increase your distance more than 10% per week. And when starting out, don't run every day. Your shin splints will get better as you build strength and endurance. I went through the same thing when I started running, and getting fitted for a proper pair of running shoes made a world of difference.