Always over on fiber

Options
So no matter what I seem to do, I always go over in fiber (I'll be in the red 15-30 grams on some days). I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, but fiber is good for you...
I drink ~8 glasses of water a day.

Is getting too much fiber a problem?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I bet you poop like a god.
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options

haha, I love this answer.

But I've never heard of getting too much fiber. I would think the only problem with eating more fiber would be the gas or the healthy bathroom visits haha. Although, nursing friends have told me that abdominal pain and/or bloating can accompany the gas.

Still, I would continue to eat as much fiber as your insides will comfortably allow!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Ha ha...I am sure there is a point where you can be ingesting too much fiber, but it's totally ok to be over...because of what this person said...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. MFP has a ridiculously low "goal" for fiber.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Haha that's the thing, I don't. We don't need to go into details, but let's just say its average :P
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over in fiber too. In my health classes we were told its good to eat a lot of fiber, never heard its bad to eat too much!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    MFP's goal for fibre is way low. Recommended daily intake is 30 for females and males. But it varies for everyone. I usually aim for between 30-40.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    25g of fiber is the recommended MINIMUM. So if you go over that, you are doing great!

Now if you're getting 100g of fiber I suppose that might be an issue.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Lets go for a little TMI here, shall we?

If i go by MFP's fiber goal, I don't poop.

So I set my own. I set it for 30, and if i go over - okay. And any exercise that add will increase the fiber anyway.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Haha that's the thing, I don't. We don't need to go into details, but let's just say its average :P

According to your diary, you're not getting a whole lot of water. The more fiber you eat, exercise you do, etc the more water you need. You might want to aim for more water. That will get things flowing more :) lol
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If you were getting too much fiber, your digestive system would tell you. You would have gas and bloating. Mfp's number is a minimum.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    According to WebMD: Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I often get around 40-50. I need that much to remain regular, plus, I love my veggies and prunes :D
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    As others said, 38ish is probably a good number to aim for.

I've been eating those damn Quest bars myself and it makes my fiber numbers insane, but actually has 0 effect on my ...bowel movements.

Fiber is good MMM kay
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think you are good. i googled the same question about fiber and it really depends on you. some people can handle it and some can't. They did say to watch out for too much fiber absorbing your vitamins and minerals. It can cause deficiencies or something. I would look that up if I were you. They also said drinking more water than the norm is a must to help with digestion. I usually go over on fiber too unless I eat out. Fast food is not a good fiber giver!! May the poop be with you! lol!!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    DRINK MORE WATER and then along with that fiber, you will feel amazing :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 50 gs a day. I drink a decent quantity of water. Less than that and the plumbing tends to clog up unless I'm eating a lot of fat.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing, I get at least 40g fiber per day
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I try for 40g but I wish it came easier. I have to supplement and hate the gas even though I drink well over a gallon of water on most days.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 50 gs a day. I drink a decent quantity of water. Less than that and the plumbing tends to clog up unless I'm eating a lot of fat.

What is 50 gs of water please?