Running with a water bottle???

Options
So, I'm thinking of starting to run. I can do 60 mins on my Elliptical, no problem. It says I run 12 miles...but I think that a huge overestimate.
My concern is that I need to have water with me. I can drink a 32oz bottle in those 60 mins. Would I look ridiculous running with a water bottle? How do you runners do it?
I was given an outline to start running (walk 1 min, jog 1 min, run 1 min, slowly decreasing walk/jog time and increasing run time), so I know how to start, but I'm just worried I'll get too light-headed without the water. If I were to drink 32oz before, I'd just have to use the washroom 10 mins later. Also, I find running in the fresh air (well not so fresh where I live, being a mill town and all) makes my throat even drier.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!

(Sorry if this is a really silly question...)

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Maybe get one of those belts that carry a couple smaller bottles in it? It might be more comfortable/convenient.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You can get running belts with water bottles attached. Some come with one bottle, some have multiple.

I don't run far enough to need water on my runs, yet, but I'll be getting a belt when I do.
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I used to run (before I put all the weight on :P) I would take a sports cap water bottle with me and just run with it in my hand. I know it's not ideal but I can't do any kind of exercise without having water near by, as my mouth just gets too dry.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    check out Camelbak. it's a backpack to carry water...has a straw build in that comes over your shoulder
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check out the Nathan Elite 2V waistpack. Has 2-21 oz bottles. I have one ordered for my longer hikes but it is designed for running. Be sure to read reviews, some people say it's too heavy for them.
  • elion7
    elion7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question! Hydration is very important, especially as you're increasing distance. I use a water bottle similar to this on my shorter runs http://www.rei.com/product/831448/nathan-thermal-quickdraw-handheld-water-bottle
    and one like this on my longer runs http://www.rei.com/product/767744/nathan-trail-mix-waistpack
    it also gives you a great place to stick your ID and keys!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I fill up my camelbak when I run outside. Works for me!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    check out Camelbak. it's a backpack to carry water...has a straw build in that comes over your shoulder

this.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I recently started running with a small water bottle and boy did it make such a huge difference! No, you will not look silly...plenty of runners use them. The one I have is a 10oz hand held bottle made by Nathans. I got it a ****'s and it is awesome because it straps around your hand so you really do not even have to hold it. Great job on running and best of luck on your fitness journey :happy:

Haahaa, well since the actual name of the store apparently is not aloud to be shown, I will call it Richards (think of another name for it lol)
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I use a running fuel belt that has 2 water bottles on it - I think each bottle holds 6oz of water - they have them with 4 bolltes as well
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Camelbak is where its at. I jave had several over the years. I love them. They are literally a life saver sometimes. Their motto is Hydrate or Die.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    http://www.rei.com/product/813478/amphipod-hydraform-handheld-thermal-lite-bottle-with-pocket

BEST EVER. I never even remember I have it on my hand. The sloshing water is no issue. I run every time with it without fail.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I don't recommend these.. too many problems and issues with bacteria and not being able to fully clean them.

I DO love the camelbak sip cups though, and I just carry those.. Sometimes I take a backpack.. other times I just hold it.. but I do want a running fanny pack that holds 2 bottles.
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.rei.com/product/796283/camelbak-quick-grip-bottle

This is what I have.... it seems to do the trick for smaller runs. I use a fuel belt (the belt with smaller bottles) for half marathons. REI says they're sold out, but you can find ones like this at most running and sporting goods stores. I think NATHAN also has one similar to the hand-held style, too.
  • debobrien1
    Options
    bump
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

Oh sweet Jesus they have stuff like that? Man I'd never leave the house without it! I take two different meds that dry my mouth out, one which requires me to drink a ton, and that certainly would be ideal.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    for short distances I don't take in any water. I know this b/c I have a hydration pack (like the camelbak), which I used during a run, and found that while running I took no water in, only during the cool down. However I plan on increasing my mileage (as I want to run a half marathon), so I know hydration is important.

there are different things that you can try.

There is the fuel belt, which obviously is like a belt and has 3-4 waterbottles (you can put less), strapped to it. they don't hold a lot of water though, prob only 250ml per bottle.

Then you have the waterbottle that straps to your hand (i don't know what that is called or if it even has a name for it).

then you have the hydration packs like the camelbak.

You need to find what works for you. for me personally on long distances, i hated the feeling of the fuel belt around my waste, but I could tolerate the camelbak.
  • barefootkandi
    Options
    I just carry a regular sport cap bottle of water with me in my hand when I run or walk. You can also get bottles that have a strap to make them easier to carry. I never thought about how it looked, it's hot here (Florida) and I'm going to carry water.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's not a silly question but it did make me chuckle...:)
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I use a handheld bottle holder every run. It has a little pouch for keys and emergency money too. I don't really like the belts, but plenty of people do. In a pinch you can just carry any water bottle, but eventually your thumb gets sore!