Is every day always going to be a challenge???

Options
I've been on and off the diet waggon what seems like forever! I have been very careful for 14 days with what I'm eating. No refined sugars, carbs only from whole grains and fruits etc. I'm seeing results but I'm afraid I wont last....every day is a challenge.

Replies

• Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think that is a huge problem with dieting. Maybe you should take it one step at a time. Try to just stay below your calories for a while, then cut out one thing and gradually form a healthier lifestyle. For me it is actually easy most of the time because it was a natural progression. The hardest part for me now is when im with friends because I dont like to talk about my eating habits.
  • b1wils
    b1wils Posts: 5
    Options
    It's like quitting smoking - it will be a challenge....until it isn't anymore. One day you crave nicotine with every fiber of your soul, but then one day you realize dozens of days, weeks, and years have gone by, and you have forgotten. Food and especially sugar and white flour can be just as addictive. Don't give up! It will pass! There was a time I couldn't imagine not eating breads and sweets and white pasta and potato chips. But soon the cravings passed, and they will for you. Keep up your "quit." You can do it!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe you are simply trying to be too perfect? That's a lot of pressure. Just stick within your calories everyday. So what if one day you have real sugar in your coffee as long as you count it in your totals? Idk, just an opinion that a person can't sustain perfection for long. Just thinking of it that way may help you not be so stressed about it. It is challenging. But to work, I think it needs to be a process, not instantaneous change. Just an opinion though...
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, my dear.

When I first got on the eating better band wagon it was a HUGE feat for me. The weight was coming off, but I found myself feeling like it was a huge uphill battle to juggle reading the nutrition labels, memorise what is good vs bad in the fat department, weighing out foods, and restocking a household of 5 ppl with healthier food choices without upsetting their equilibrium too much. Also, trying to squeeze in time to do housework, exercise, shop (which used to take forever with all the label reading.) and still find time to relax.

I am at month 4 of this, lost 61 lbs (whoa,) and it gets. easier. I promise. The exercising becomes a part of your routine if you start it and stick it out for a few weeks. Eating right- well you learn the foods that you know are better for you, so shopping becomes faster again, weighing food out becomes easier since you start getting a general feel for what certain portions look like, (I still use my food scale daily, just to double check.) I can't pinpoint when exactly this became easier, but I know it took a lot of feeling like i was going uphill and worried I wouldn't "get it" and lose hope- however here I am 4 months later, and making progress despite all that self doubt.

Moral? It gets easier. I promise. You probably won't even realise it until someone asks YOU "Does it get easier?" =) Good luck and stick it out!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the pep talk! I think I am trying to be perfect...I just really want to make my weight loss happen and stick! I'm going to be 41 in a week and I vowed I wound not be "fat and 40!"
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Attempting to be perfect in following lots of stringent rules is a surefire recipe for frustration. Focus on making improvements rather than flawlessly sticking to a plan. I wrote this post that I think might help you (I just prefer to post the link so people don't get sick of me copy/pasting): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/578928-give-yourself-a-chance