why do i gain so quick???

Options
ok well since having kids i have struggled to keep weight off, i have managed to lose 63lbs now since my daughter was born last june,

well every now and again i decide to screw the diet and eat a normal diet same as my OH and when ever i do this i gain weight pretty much straight away and he gains nothing!

over the weekend i havent really logged food has i had a cheat weekend which included a take away and eating out twice for a party and sunday dinner and iv weighed myself today and iv gained 5lbs!!!!

does this seriously mean i will have to eat so little for rest of my life :grumble:

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Questions

How many calories do you eat usually?
    What are you gaining weight or fat?
    What kind of exercise are you doing?
    How long have you been rectricting calories?
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I am open to hearing what others have to say on this topic. I too am seriously struggling and often wonder "will I have to be so calorie restrictive forever?" Not seeing a lot of results right now....getting discouraged.
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my problem too - interested to see some answers.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Questions

iv been eating 1530 for ages then increased to 1650 but i usually burn say 300 a day and eat back at least half last few weeks iv been eating more tho.
    i only weigh on digital scales so i dunno if its weight or fat,
    i do alot of walking, zumba, exercise bike and exercise dvds for exercise has i cant get to a gym due to childcare
    iv been restricting cals for about 8months now
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You have to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain one pound of fat. So, unless you ate and additional 17,500 calories this weekend you haven't gained 5 pounds. It's water weight. it fluctuates according to a myriad of things including hormones, carb intake, sodium intake, etc. It will be gone very soon.
  • vakaranshah786
    vakaranshah786 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem quick to gain and so hard to lose, interested in the answers u get
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When u eat 'badly' the next few days will show an increase in weight as your water weight will be high! It will slowly go back down, but you need to be patient :)
  • mojomarie
    mojomarie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome answer, Mrs. Dizzy!:)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You have to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain one pound of fat. So, unless you ate and additional 17,500 calories this weekend you haven't gained 5 pounds. It's water weight. it fluctuates according to a myriad of things including hormones, carb intake, sodium intake, etc. It will be gone very soon.

This is your answer.
  • MaryBeth321
    MaryBeth321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that your look awesome and BIG congrats for all the weight you've lost! I know what you mean about low cal eating, seems like you can't take an extra bite w/o it showing up on the scale. I've been a member since late February and have lost 13 pounds so far. I wouldn't want to lower my calorie intake any further for fear that I'd just give up. I am at 1430 cals per day and that seems achieveable most days, w/o too much struggle. Take care and Good Luck!!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat foods high in sodium (carbs, processed foods & sauces, etc) I gain weight the fastest. It's water weight. After that I drink 10-12 glasses a day for a couple days (along with my regular meals) and it goes away.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options

^^ I agree with this. Everyone tends to fluctuate as frustrating as it is. It's most likely water from all the sodium in the food you had eating out. It does go down, but can take a bit longer than it did to acquire it. I know I chase the same lbs sometimes due to the same reasons. Stinks, but happens. Try not to fret too much about it and get back on track.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    well you said you didn't log and you ate out twice. That would be clue number one. Salt is another issue when eating out. If you didn't exercise.

Our bodies goes up and down a few lbs one way or the other.

But the first two things you said would be my clue to why you gained. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This! Don't sweat it, this 5 pounds will be off in a day or two if you stick to your calorie goal and pound water!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Grrrttt! Same boat as u! I seriously gain huge amounts of weight every weekend even if I'm good. Hate it!! I loose it during the week...but yes soooo frustrating!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    also if you don't eat enough your body will not burn fat. So each person is different. Hope you figure it out . You can do it.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Your other half has a higher Basal Metabolic rate than you do (he is heavier and taller than you are?). You require less calories than he does. If you eat the same amount as he does, of course you'll gain weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

This is your answer.

Yup, this is your answer. As to why, just the sort of physiology you have. Drink lots of water as that will help.

No, this does not mean you will be eating at a deficit all your life, it does mean you will probably want to slowly move your way up to maintenance when you get where you want weight wise, and it does mean cheat days or meals will show more weight gain than others would experience, but it will be water weight and will come off much quicker than fat.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Questions

iv been eating 1530 for ages then increased to 1650 but i usually burn say 300 a day and eat back at least half last few weeks iv been eating more tho.
    i only weigh on digital scales so i dunno if its weight or fat,
    i do alot of walking, zumba, exercise bike and exercise dvds for exercise has i cant get to a gym due to childcare
    iv been restricting cals for about 8months now

Good news- it's fixable. Bad news- you're going to have to get a new mindset. :)

When you lose weight without preserving lean muscle mass- your metabolism slows because muscle keeps your metabolism kicking in high gear. How to preserve lean mass? Weight lift, eat a modest deficit (15-20% reduction in TDEE) and protein. If you're slashing calories, doing nothing but cardio and never take a break (which you should every few months) then you're slowing your metabolism down over time.

Thus, when you go off your diet - BAM- instant weight gain. Your metabolism simply isn't built to handle normal eating anymore.

Solution?
    Metabolism reset. It'll take about a month to do- which in the grand scheme of things isn't long at all. Add weight lifting in place of some of your cardio; eat enough to fuel the workouts and your life.

For more info come read the stickies-
    www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options

This is your answer.

Yes, this. And specifically, sodium is your likely culprit given that you said you ate out or had take out 2x over the weekend. Drink lots of water, weigh yourself at the end of the week and those 5lbs should be gone!