GOING SWIMMING TOMORROW FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS HELP!!

Options
Hey MFP

i have joined the gym, my induction is at 7 am tomorrow but it is not that i am afraid of...yes its the local massive pool with actual human people in. I have purchased a swim dress which looks ok but still shows my mammoth legs. I am nervous and worry i am going to talk myself out of it tomorrow.

I used to love swimming and i can do loads of lengths i guess im ao scared of going in and out of the pool?

Can anyone suggest anything to help me overcome my confidence??

A bin bag and running as fast as i can and bombing into the pool hoping no one sees is all i have up to now!! :'-( xx

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It sounds awful, but when I go swimming I always mentally point out the people bigger than me so I feel a little better about myself.
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    haha i could do that although im pretty sure i will be the biggest there tomorrow :(
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    I think you just have to realize that EVERYONE feels like theyre being judged when they bare down to swimwear. And people WILL judge you, but thats all down to a lack of self confidence from others. Hold your head up high and know that you are trying to be healthier! xx
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr Suess!
  • Circle12
    Circle12 Posts: 22
    Options
    Remember you are doing this for yourself......and you are beautiful, believe in yourself and your strength!!

JUST KEEP SWIMMING.............
  • Dana2167
    Dana2167 Posts: 1
    Options
    You just need to focus on all the postive things about your body that you like. You appear a very beautiful young lady that should hold her head up high and smile, this always keeps people guessing.
  • monomyrmaad
    monomyrmaad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone else opinion get you down. You are there to get healthier and have fun in the process. Jump in and make a big splash!!!!!!
  • AntSteps
    AntSteps Posts: 20
    Options
    I think you just have to realize that EVERYONE feels like theyre being judged when they bare down to swimwear. And people WILL judge you, but thats all down to a lack of self confidence from others. Hold your head up high and know that you are trying to be healthier! xx
    I'd say exactly this! Its inevitable but you can't psych yourself out or that day when you're proud to walk in your bikini may never come...
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP

i have joined the gym, my induction is at 7 am tomorrow but it is not that i am afraid of...yes its the local massive pool with actual human people in. I have purchased a swim dress which looks ok but still shows my mammoth legs. I am nervous and worry i am going to talk myself out of it tomorrow.

I used to love swimming and i can do loads of lengths i guess im ao scared of going in and out of the pool?

A bin bag and running as fast as i can and bombing into the pool hoping no one sees is all i have up to now!! :'-( xx
    Go to the STAR TREK store and purchase a ROMULAN CLOAKING DEVICE that renders you invisible. Jump in pool. Deactivate cloaking device. Swim. Activate cloaking device and run like hell to changing room. Change. Deactivate cloaking device. Go home.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love swimming,it is fun and burns so many calories,Don't forget to bring a water bottle.Sometimes people forget because they are in a pool,but you are working hard in there.Good luck! Tell us how you did later.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Once you are in the pool you will be alright.

I swim and use the gym a lot and I used to be really big (273 lbs). Other users don't scoff at big people trying to lose weight, in fact when they see you working hard and the weight starting to come off you, they are more likely to come up and congratulate you.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I agree with these :) Everyone is there for a reason.. I belong to a gym that has a pool and i see people of all shapes and sizes. I see the women that are much bigger than i am and realize they are actually out there doing something about it and getting healthy and feel a little pround of them. I promise that walking out there in your bathing suit will feel a lot better than feeling sorry for yourself. Good luck tomorrow!!
  • GBird72
    GBird72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don' t worry. There will always be someone larger than you are. They will wish to be your size. JUST DO IT! After the first trip, it will be a breeze. Good luck.
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP

I have swam all my life, I was on swim team in high school and when my friends were sizes 4 & 6, I was at a size 18, so I know what you're going through. I actually started swimming again this past week and just my luck my first day was the one day of the week when the local swim team practices. I had my 2 suits on (for drag and honestly, self confidence) my goggles and cap and just went out there like i knew what i was doing. Once i got in the pool and swam my first 25, all my insecurities melted away. Yes, I was THE slowest and biggest person in that body of water but everyone else was worried about what they were doing that i was invisible. I like to think that when they see me, they're thinking 'wow, that's a big girl, but good for her that she's here' and if they're not thinking that, then i pretend I'm taking my fat *kitten* and stomach rolls and suffocating them :noway:

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Think of all the calories that you're gonna burn in the water, where your jiggle doesn't show like it does at the gym :tongue: At least that's what i tell myself since i feel the safest in the water.

Good luck!!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr Suess!

^^^^^ Wiser words were never spoken.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    Just walk in the pool area and set down your stuff and hop in. I swim 2-3 times a week. When I started I was so nervous about what people were going to say, but you know what who cares. If you love it, by the time your legs get under the water no one is going to notice anyway. I started in a size 22 bathing suit, and now I wear a size 12/14. You are doing this for you and not anyone else.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, my complex has 3 pools, the largest is in front of the office...just can't bring myself to show off my massive cottage cheese thighs there. But there is a smaller one next to my building, fewer people and kids. I'm planning to go early (or later around dinner time) when there's fewer people. If anyone says anything about my weight, "I can change my size, but can you change your negative attitude?". That usually shuts them up~
  • schadwick23
    Options
    i was in the same position last year when i was trying to do some rehab after a knee injury and you just have to be brave that first time and you'll soon wonder what you were worrying about
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It sounds awful, but when I go swimming I always mentally point out the people bigger than me so I feel a little better about myself.

I do the saame thing or I channel those people who look a hot mess @ the pool and don't care! If they have the confidence to look bad... it makes me feel like I don't look as bad lol. Also, faking confidence helps lol
  • hastenbeck
    Options
    Babe, you are going swimming because you know its the right thing for YOU, what anyone else thinks really doesn't matter, that said, I know where you are coming from, the way I always deal with a situation like this is to go with the mentality, "if i cant see them then they can't see me" - by this I mean, just focus on where you want to be, which is in the pool, don't look around you, don't make eye contact with anyone, just head for the steps and get in the water, once you are in and you are covered up you wont feel so self conscious. ~After the first time of going to the pool and seeing how great you feel when you get out, you really wont care what anyone else thinks x x I find this mentality works for me in lots of situations and helps to overcome my body confidence issues. Good luck and have a great swim :)