How do you stay on track when someone else is cooking?

Options
My friends and I take it in turns to cook our evening meal. While this is great socially, it's not so good when it comes to trying to keep track of what you're eating. They never say anything in advance about what they'll make, and it usually ends up involving large amounts of pasta, cheese and fatty meats. I don't want to stop eating with my friends or become a dreaded picky eater, but I'm not sure how to keep doing this and still achieve my goals.

Does anyone else in a similar situation have any advice?

Replies

• JenS_1678
    JenS_1678 Posts: 27
    Options
    I would say offer to bring a regular salad or a fruit salad to accompany their dish. That way you can still eat the great things your friends make (everything in proportion!) but have the majority of the meal be the healthier option. I've found that if I eat a salad or a piece of fruit first with a glass of water, I'm generally more full before I start onto the food with more calories/fat.
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    My dad does this for me all the flippin time! It always has to be smothered in fat! It feels horrible to reject food that someone has made for you but i think you have to be selfish when it comes to your health, and even if it hurts their feelings they will get over it and by eating the unhealthy food, you are simply saying "i'll eat it again, if you make it again" after about 3 refusals my dad finally started discussing mealplans with me :)
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would say offer to bring a regular salad or a fruit salad to accompany their dish. That way you can still eat the great things your friends make (everything in proportion!) but have the majority of the meal be the healthier option. I've found that if I eat a salad or a piece of fruit first with a glass of water, I'm generally more full before I start onto the food with more calories/fat.

I like this idea, a lot. Take a lot of salad, a little bit of what they make, and eat. Do they know you're on here, trying to lose weight? Whenever A friend of mine is cooking for me, I ask them how they made whatever they're serving. My friends are happy to help me track properly, and yours probably will be too :)
  • lizblizz28
    lizblizz28 Posts: 166
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I live on campus right now and they require you to buy a meal plan. The food they serve is full of cheese, meat, and oil. Even the food you would expect to be healthy, such as vegetables and fruits, are doused in butter or sugar. I gain so much weight every school year because there are so few healthy options at my school! This time around I've resorted to eating off the salad bar at least 3x a week and hoping another station in the cafe will have some grilled chicken I can top it with.
    It just sucks when you feel like you don't have control over the one thing you absolutely should in life--what you put in your body. Good luck with your friends, I hope you can figure out a way to compromise your socially life with your new health goals.
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    I have a nap!!! haha x hopefully when i wake the smell and food will be gone!!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I live on campus right now and they require you to buy a meal plan. The food they serve is full of cheese, meat, and oil. Even the food you would expect to be healthy, such as vegetables and fruits, are doused in butter or sugar. I gain so much weight every school year because there are so few healthy options at my school! This time around I've resorted to eating off the salad bar at least 3x a week and hoping another station in the cafe will have some grilled chicken I can top it with.
    It just sucks when you feel like you don't have control over the one thing you absolutely should in life--what you put in your body. Good luck with your friends, I hope you can figure out a way to compromise your socially life with your new health goals.

Do you eat at the dining hall for all three meals? My college just built theirs(and I have to buy a meal plan, even though I'm married and living off campus) and we have the same problem. When I lived on campus, I didn't eat there for every meal- could you try keeping a whole grain cereal and some fruit in your dorm so you have a really healthy breakfast? Sadly, there's nothing that can be done about the dining hall but even though they're covered in butter or oil, the veggies are smarter choices than the rest of it. :/
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I'm going to try this. Thanks!