20 Pounds in a Month: Possible or Not? HELP

Options
I weigh 138 lbs and I really need to lose weight FAST. I go to the gym once in a while prolly a week or two. By June, I'm really hoping to lose atleast 10-20 lbs. Is this possible?

I'm eating a minimum of 1.1k kcal per day (max. of 1.2kcal) and have been drinking loads of water and I've been avoiding rice, sodas, and junk food. I eat fruits whenever mum buys them. And I am focusing on eating only low-fat goodies this month. I also walk for atleast an hour during mornings.

I don't know but I feel like I haven't lost any weight and I've gained even more. I haven't checked on my weight because I'm a little too scared to see the results. Is it really possible to lose 20lbs in one month??

Thanks!!

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    While it's POSSIBLE, it's not necessarily easy to do nor is it necessarily healthy. Generally, 1-2 pounds a week is a good rate to lose. Why do you want to lose 20 pounds in 1 month?
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    If you're 14, I wouldn't suggest trying to lose that much weight that quickly. All I can suggest is eating more natural foods, with less additives in them. If I were you, I would only try to lose about a pound a week.
  • stephaniebolick86
    stephaniebolick86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Being of your age, I wouldn't try the methods that you would have to do/take in order to lose 20 pounds in one month. I myself have lost 20 pounds in one month under a doctor's supervision and prescription medications. To lose this amount of weight you have to be very strict on what you eat, when you eat and also counting calories and upping the amount of protein you eat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    20? No. Not unless you have a LOT of weight to lose. Since you only need to lose a total of 20, it is not safe to lose that much all at once.
  • hollajonah
    Options
    Hehe, well I've been teased at school and by June school starts again and I really want to show them the new me. I've been working real hard but I can't really see the results. Any advice on that?
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    Working out. You may not see much of a change on the scale, but that is because muscle weighs more than fat. So walking, or doing aerobic exercises with help with toning up and you will feel better about yourself. I hate to say it, but if you just hit puberty (I don't know if you did or not) it could be your hormones that made you gain the weight.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    1. You're 14. There's a rule that you have to be 18 to join here for a reason- you're still growing. Trying to eat healthier foods is great, but at 14 you shouldn't be that worried about your weight. This is just a red flag to me- live your life. When you're on your own and don't have to rely on what mom buys for your food, then you're in control. You're not right now.
    2. 20 pounds in a month is not an attainable goal. Think about it- that's roughly 5 pounds a week. It's not practical and even if you lose that much, you'll gain it right back when you start eating real food again.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be extremely obese to lose that much in a month without making yourself ill. Try 5/month. You also might see if you can get a trusted friend to help you pick out some slimming clothes.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Why does it say you are 20 on your profile? Don't believe a word of it...
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds to date and its taken me about 3-4 months so I would say losing it in a month is pushing it. If you do it too quickly it will probably just come right back.
  • jzaz903
    Options
    You'd have to be extremely obese to lose that much in a month without making yourself ill. Try 5/month. You also might see if you can get a trusted friend to help you pick out some slimming clothes.

I couldn't think of a nice way to say this... It's going to take time to safely lose that 20 for good, because youre already so close to goal.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Working out. You may not see much of a change on the scale, but that is because muscle weighs more than fat. So walking, or doing aerobic exercises with help with toning up and you will feel better about yourself. I hate to say it, but if you just hit puberty (I don't know if you did or not) it could be your hormones that made you gain the weight.

Totally agree. Working out changes the shape of your bady. So if thats what you want, workout. And just come up with some good comebacks for the bullies.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I understand the pressure that can come from "friends" teasing you. But don't let that make you do something that will ruin your health for the rest of your life--at 14, the rest of your life is a long time! And yo-yo dieting is a bad habit to get into at any time, let alone now.

Show your friends how healthy you can be, and how well you take care of yourself. Don't stress about how you look, but how healthy you are. It's certainly possible that you could lose some body fat and be healthy, but remember that at 14 your body still has a lot of growing to do, and everyone your age will sometimes put on fat when there's another growth spurt coming up. Don't deny your body its natural processes or the fuel it needs to make you a healthy adult. Just exercise, eat right, don't starve yourself (1100 calories for a growing teenager is not enough), and you'll do fine.
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose that much healthy is if you have loads of weight to lose which u don't do I wouldn't have that as a goal as you will only disappoint yourself. And I am not trying to sound bad at all as I am a very positive person and love to motivate ppl.

I think what u is doing is great with the walking and no junk food/soda. Make sure u are feeding yourself the right amount of calories.

A healthy amount like others have said is 1-2lbs a week.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hehe, well I've been teased at school and by June school starts again and I really want to show them the new me. I've been working real hard but I can't really see the results. Any advice on that?

I'm sorry people are teasing you at school. That is rotten, it feels awful, and we've all been there. The real trick to losing weight is not to look skinny or go in with an "I'll show them" attitude... it's to be healthier for you. If you aren't there in your head, you won't get there on the scale. That said, try to focus on one - two pounds per week. By the end of the summer, you'll be feeling great and looking good too. You're fourteen and still growing so you need to be sure to balance the weight loss with exercise too. I wouldn't proceed without talking to a doctor/nutritionist first.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You're too young to be here and are very likely to get your account deleted once the mods find out. Try signing up for Spark Teens.

What you are wanting to do it not in any way possible to do in a healthy way. At your age you MUST learn to establish good eating habits or you will have a lifetime of disordered eating and very unhealthy habits.
  • jzaz903
    Options
    You're too young to be here and are very likely to get your account deleted once the mods find out. Try signing up for Spark Teens.

What you are wanting to do it not in any way possible to do in a healthy way. At your age you MUST learn to establish good eating habits or you will have a lifetime of disordered eating and very unhealthy habits.

This, 100%
  • hollajonah
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about Spark Teens!! definitely going to try that out.
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have/want to loose at least 30lbs by the end of September I have a big event coming up and I honestly want to look thinner by then and be able to feel better then how I feel as of right now!! I think anything is possible if you set your mind to do so!!! But with out starving yourself or over doing it because I think that will just make you suffer down the road!!!! Good luck you probably will do just fine!!!!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's mostly going to be water weight. Cut down on sugar and carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes, etc.)