Plateau....How long do they last? How long was yours?

Options
Good News:
11 weeks and 20lbs down.... YEA!!!!

NOW Bad News:
3 weeks NO weight loss....

How long should I expect this to last????

Replies

• Cherylrr
    Cherylrr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good News:
    11 weeks and 20lbs down.... YEA!!!!

NOW Bad News:
    3 weeks NO weight loss....

How long should I expect this to last????
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You may have to change something up.

Up your exercise time, or change the type you're doing.

Adjust your calories by a hundred calories up or down. (personally, I prefer up)

Although everyone is different, having a plateau last a month or more is not unheard of. (sorry.)

Try to look at it as 14 weeks of losing 20 lbs. Your body may be re-adjusting.

:flowerforyou:
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i hit a plateau every 1.5 lbs iloose ill loose steadily for three days .5 lb and then ill stay there for up to 10 days then loose again its a pain in the @$$!
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would say do interval training. When you do your cardio start slow and then after a mintue or two give all you have and then go slow again. Also,change up your weight routine.Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Mine lasted 3-4 wks...I changed my workouts and really focused on good nutrition and sticking to may calorie limit!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Cherylrr
    Cherylrr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... I'll try your suggestions and let you know.....

It's SO FRUSTRATING:explode: :explode: :explode: Hard to keep motivated...

Just want to go out and eat pizza... :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Mine lasted 3-4 weeks as well. I started eating a little bit more (I had been sticking to 1200 or less even, and not eating my exercise calories) and exercising a bit more as well and finally broke through. It is very frustrating and hard to stay motivated during that time!!! :grumble: But you can do it. Start tweaking your routine - try different types of exercise, or adjust your calories up or down for a few days. And don't forget to drink lots of water.

Good luck - you will break through! :flowerforyou:
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i dont want to alarm you but mine was 3 mths but that was till i realised and made some changes to my routine with excercise and food intake its a case of reasesing your life and habbits every so often and adjusting.

so far im back on track i think lol will know tonight when i weigh at the gym and when i do my big weigh and measure on the 10th next mth

good luck thoughts with you
  • ainslieelizabeth
    Options
    I'm going on 3 weeks and getting more and more frustrated every day. I am going to start changing up my exercise routine because my eating is healthy! Any other suggestions?
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Mine lasted about 5 weeks, then I upped my exercise and ate the exercise calories and started losing again. I know it's frustrating but don't give up!
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I am on week 3 as well. I switched up my cardio and added some new foods this week so I am hoping to bust through!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Do something to shock your body. . .

My favorite thing for this is a cheat day, which my new favorite term for is "re-feed". Have a day where you go over what your maintenance calories would be. (this is a huge cheat. huge. if you're at a 500 calorie deficit here, you'd have to go over by 800-1000 calories.) Think of how you ate before you started here, and that's usually it. (two restaurant meals in one day would probably do it.)

The theory behind this is, then the diet is brand new again to your body. Otherwise, your body is just in famine mode, trying to help you survive.

The other major shock is to take a week off from exercising. (even now at maintenance, I do this about every two-three months) It's hard, but it always seemed to kick me back into loss mode. And, you really enjoy that first workout back. . .you have superhero energy!

:flowerforyou:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that's been said here. With specific regards to exercise, I find that unless I change up my routine (which usually means adding weights) I can plateau (and I've been in one for almost a month now, but that's ok).

Banks posted a really hard-core workout a while back. It's not pleasant, but it does work (not that I've completed the whole thing, mind you :laugh: ):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9051-want-weight-loss-push-your-body-to-the-limits