1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    1 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
    1 cup frozen sweet corn
    2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

In medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and stir for a minute. Add in the quinoa and broth. Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
    Stir in frozen corn and black beans. Cover and let pot sit off heat until beans and corn are heated through. Stir in cilantro. Serve warm or chilled. It's delicious both ways.
    Do you have the servings and nutrition facts??

It makes about 12 1/2 cup servings, with 89 calories per serving. 14 g carbs, 2 grams fat, 4 grams protein.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    Bump cuz some of these recipes sound awesome and to remind me to post my favs when I can find them!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bumping i ve been wanting to try!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Love this Black Bean and Quinoa Lettuce Wraps

http://www.thenakedkitchen.com/quinoa-lettuce-wraps/

Enjoy!!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I <3 quinoa.
  • Texmom_2003
    Options
    1 cup cooked quinoa

In a pan add a table spoon of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds. shallow fry the stir fry frozen vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower) with quinoa and add salt to taste for 5 min and eat it hot.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! I am going to have to try some of them.

after reading some of the quinoa salad recipes, I made up my own last night.
    cooked quinoa
    chopped baby spinach
    cubed chicken
    onion
    tomato
    avocado
    chickpeas
    mozz cheese-shouldn't have because my son is allergic to milk and he's still nursing but it was sooo good.
    I tossed it all with a Greek Vinaigrette dressing and added a little bacon bits (low fat) and croutons.
    no clue how much calories it was but it tasted amazing
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying for the first time tonight. Cooked up plain and then added it to my Thai green prawn stir fry instead of rice or noodles.
  • kolie518
    kolie518 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite ones is Quinoa salad.
    I cook and cool the quinoa, then add, cherry tomatoes, cube cucumber, red onions, snap or sugar peas, bell peppers (red, green, orange) toss lightly with sun dried tomato salad dressing. or any vinaigrette based dressing. (super friut Berry is real nice)

I've been hesitant to try quinoa - I don't really like hot couscous or grains - but this sounds delicious. Similar to a cold tabbouleh salad. I think I will try this this week, thanks for the idea!
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yay I love quinoa, this thread will be very helpful.

I make it this way, sorry I can't give any nutritional info as I just made it up in my head.

Rinse and toast the quinoa; set aside. Chop a small white onion and sauté with a little pam for 3-5 minutes. To the onions add in your toasted quinoa, fresh chopped thyme and chicken stock or broth. After about 8-10 minutes add in either raisins or craisins. I use a half package of craisins. Cook until the stock is absorbed. While the quinoa is cooking toast up some almonds or any kind of nut you have on hand, walnuts work in this recipe. Once the quinoa is done cooking add the nuts and some blue cheese. I use a small package of blue cheese crumbles, but if you have a more potent block of cheese you could use less like a 3 tablspoons. Stir it up and serve! I love the combination earthy(quinoa and nuts), sweet (craisins) and salty(blue cheese).

If you don't like blue cheese or gorgonzola you could use feta cheese instead. But the blue cheese is soooo good!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks for all the great ideas!
  • km2830
    km2830 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too was wondering what else I could do with quinoa and I'm happy to see so many good recipes! Thanks to all who shared. I will be trying a few of these out. :)
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump - been looking for some new quinoa recipes
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online a few weeks ago for Coconut Quinoa Pudding, a healthier take on rice pudding. I haven't tried it, but pinned the receipe on Pinterest to make sometime soon!. Here's the link to the blog I found it on.

http://www.eat8020.com/2012/04/80ish-coconut-quinoa-pudding.html
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lillulu08
    Options
    bump for later
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I'm looking for new ideas for quinoa
    Thanks!

I like making the quinoa as you normally would but instead of water or broth use vanilla almond milk. Once it is done add cinnamon, chopped medjool dates, and sliced almonds to your liking. For every half cup of cooked quinoa plus the added ingredients, add vanilla pudding (sugar-free or whatever you wish) to the mix. I do not have an exact calorie count but a half cup is less than 200 calories.

wow that sounds great!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Quinoa quiche! I never measure anything, but here's what I put in it--it's very difficult to go wrong with quiche as they are so versatile and easy peasy!

eggs or just egg whites
    cooked quinoa
    spinach
    roasted red peppers
    yellow squash or zucchini diced finely
    onion diced finely
    garlic salt or creole seasoning (my fave)
    cheese (any will do, my favorites are sharp cheddar or feta)

Mix all together in a bowl and pour into a muffin tin sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray. Bake at 375 for around 25-30 mins or until set. I like to put them under the broiler for about 5 minutes after baking so the tops get crusty! :D

For an added bonus, I like to slice them in half and spread hummus in the middle :)

WOW - that sounds amazing!!