Weights and Exercise Machines advice please.

Options
Ok here is my situation I have come to the point in my progression to start with some weight training. I currently have a pretty good regiment going and am ready to move the weights into it. The only place I have fat is around my gut and love handles. Everything else is skinny, tone and muscular but actually kind of week. It is my intent to do some weight training about 2 to 3 times a week. My current work out regiment is this. I run at least 2.5 miles 3 times a week. Cardio at least 3 times a week. I am currently doing JM 30 day shred every day (don't knock it got me in routine and thats a good thing). On top of all that I hike a grade 3 or higher trail at least once a week, do a lot of walking (3to 4 times a week) and play some sort of old man sport on leagues (i.e. Softball, Kickball and Basketball). In essence I am becoming all legs and cardio and still need to burn the fat around my belly. I have a very clean diet. After that long winded about me speech I am looking to get a starter 30 to 45 minute routine down and would like some advice on what I should incorporate into a routine or if there is an easy one to follow out there.

Thanks for nay help in advance. I run today so I would begin tomorrow. I have a Golds membership so I have access to pretty much anything.

Replies

• ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will get a ton of different opinions.
    My husband and I just started stronglifts 5x5, its easy to follow and great for a beginner. There are a ton of videos online you can watch to work on your form. You might need some help, since its not machines, but it really is simple and i am making great progress.

good luck!
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks ktbia. "Strong Lifts" is that what the program is called?
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    hERE'S LINK TO A 12 WEEK BEGINNER'S ROUTINE FOR BUILDING MUSCLE.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great question! I dont have any wt experience and would love to know once I get my bf% down.

Lots of luck!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just started NROL. There is one for men, one for women, but I think they are in essence the same thing. It starts you out easy, explains the how and why, pictures even so you know what to do. It also provides training schedule/guides and log sheets. I've been in it about 2 weeks, and I'm really feeling it, and loving it.

I also got a session with a personal trainer at the gym to show me proper form and some additional exercises not in the book.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    A very general overview. Both machines and free weights take about the same amount of time to perform per lift but:

Machines = very isolative and only work a very limited amount of muscles

Free weights = depending on the lift work many more muscles as you have to use muscles to support your body as it performs the lift vs machine.

For the same amount of time used for the lift, you are working many more body parts and burning more calories per lift with free weights.
  • cdtoms
    cdtoms Posts: 6
    Options
    Since your new to weight training your body will not need the amount of volume to gain results that others do. Start by doing one exercise per body part every other day. 3 sets of 15 will be plenty. After 2-3 weeks you can move to a more "normal" body part split. The best two programs are chest, shoulders, and triceps one day, legs the other, and back and biceps on the last day. Or you can try antagonist muscles, chest and back one day, legs one day, and shoulders, biceps and triceps one day. I would do 2 exercises per body part with 3 sets each. Doing set of 20 a set of 15 and a set of 10 per exercise should be sufficient and safe enough for a beginner. Although, you may need a spot on some of the heavier sets. I would always recommend a spotter for a newb but that's just me.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help I went and got myself a copy of the New Rules for lifting and will check that out. This does not mean tat will be my only source but I figure it would be a good place to start.