Online Colleges....

Options
DietingMommy08
DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
I am starting to find it harder to work full time, raise my 3 year old on my own and go to college.

I have been looking into online colleges and other then being "expensive" i have no other opinion on them. "/

Has anybody else or is anybody else going to an online college?
Any recommendations?
Opinions?

Thank you in advance!!

-NettyCakes

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I "went" to the University of Phoenix. It is expensive but I feel the instructors/professors were good. I also tried Devry for a couple of classes afterward and felt they were terrible.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My husband is taking courses through Globe University. He works a fulltime job also. The only thing we don't like about it so far is that they're trying to rope him into campus classes, which kind of defeats the purpose of online schooling if you ask me. Plus, the books can be really spendy and they don't sell back for very much afterward. We had to put last quarters books on Craigslist just to be able to make some money back. I guess that's a problem with any type of schooling, though.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I was looking into the univsersity of Ashford.

Hhmm.... I guess ill have to call the rep and find out. Lol.
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I go to Union Institute and University and I go all online. I love it!

myunion.edu
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did 2 semesters for graphic design at Baker. I was pleased with my experience. Average price for online schooling.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I want to get my Master's degree eventually... but the only place that has it in a traditional brick and mortar school is a 45is minute drive through the worst traffic ever.... so I am wanting to get my degree through the University of Penn online programs...
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    Thank you for your opinions!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Most universities and community colleges offer online classes that cost the same as regular tuition. I've been taking classes from my local community college online for the last year. Sometimes it's nice, other times it's a hassle. It all depends on the teacher. Some, like my English teacher, only had us do 4 papers for the entire term, plus a few discussion posts. But, my psychology teacher gave up multiple big assignments each week to make up for not being in class. It was a bunch of busy work and it was a waste of time. Overall, I've preferred online classes because I can do the work when it's convenient. But, it also means I need to be more motivated to actually do it.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    Well, I've done a few, and I must say that I enjoy them...only thing is I tend to not like to read, and thats all you damn do, is read. I happen to miss the classroom interaction, and I learn better this way. So while it was super convenient, the extra time for me could have been spent actually going to class.

Now, there is the logistics of kids that comes into the equation...so sometimes online is better so you don't have to be physically away from them...my other note...I found it extremely hard to "detach and focus" when trying to do work, and often times would ebd up going to the local campus with my laptop to study...
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've never done online college, wasn't really that popular when I was in college, but I have a couple of friends attending school online and they seem to enjoy it. The only thing is, you don't really develop a personal relationship w/ your teacher because all you have is email and Blackboard as your form of communication. Also, you may be one of 100 students they have, so they don't really know you at all. Many of the teachers have strict work deadlines that you have to meet and they are not very accessible when you need help. I am a college teacher now (part-time) and I always avail myself to my students and I enjoy knowing them personally and having a hands-on approach with them. But to each his own. Coming to class every night could be extremely demanding if you have a family and work.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    Most universities and community colleges offer online classes that cost the same as regular tuition. I've been taking classes from my local community college online for the last year. Sometimes it's nice, other times it's a hassle. It all depends on the teacher. Some, like my English teacher, only had us do 4 papers for the entire term, plus a few discussion posts. But, my psychology teacher gave up multiple big assignments each week to make up for not being in class. It was a bunch of busy work and it was a waste of time. Overall, I've preferred online classes because I can do the work when it's convenient. But, it also means I need to be more motivated to actually do it.

I took 2 semesters of online classes thru our community college BUT they don't offer EVERYTHING I need online so if I was to continue my education through them the only other options I have are on campus....
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I got my Bachelors from University of Phoenix and am currently working towards my masters. It is a great school and really easy to fit into a schedule. It is pricey but then again you get what you pay for. To me its worth it.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Is anyone familiar with Liberty University? I'm interested in their on-line courses but I don't know what they're like.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I took a semester online because I couldn't get housing on campus (lived 200 miles away) and partly some personal problems.

I liked it a lot. It's very different and in a sense it does free up some of your time but be warned, it is very easy to fall behind. I unfortunately allowed something to get in the way of school, and I paid for it. I had to drop a class and I had a not so nifty GPA

As long as you're committed and focused, you should be able to handle it.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that the college is accredited by an accreditation panel. Check the college's webstie, or their entry on Wikipedia, to verify this. Otherwise, you are simply throwing your money away.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I really like Excelsior College. I got my Associates and just completed my Bachelors with them. Good class offerings, very flexible, and I *think* competetively priced, although I didn't have to worry about that as mine was paid by the Army. Just remember whatever one you choose, find one that's accredited!
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went University of Phoenix. It was expensive but worth it. I have my MBA in accounting now and I am glad I did it. At the time I had 3 kids and was pregnant with another. Hopefully by the time you are done with college you won’t have a problem finding a job. I didn’t have an issue but I know several friends who went to other colleges and are still unemployed because of the economy. Make sure that the field you go into is in high demand. Good Luck.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Western Governors University gives you a great value for your buck, and you can load up all you please for one flat full-time rate.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Got my MBA from Western Governors University...it wasn't as expensive as Uni of Phoenix.......I enjoyed the experience.......
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was looking into the univsersity of Ashford.

Hhmm.... I guess ill have to call the rep and find out. Lol.

I go here..In my 3rd year at Ashford, I love it. I work full time, raise a daughter on my own and maintain a 3.7 GPA. It is doable and should be done.

Good luck, if you need any advice, or just want to chat, feel free to add me!