IS it possible to lose 20lbs by November 23.

Options

Replies

• margaretthedevil
    Options
    To each their own, we can all choose what we want to do. How long did it take you to lose the first 15 pounds?

It took me about 4 months to lose the first 15lbs. March 09-August 09. Since August, I've been on a plateau.
    Definitely start incorporating strength training into your workouts. You may not lose much weight, but you're probably at least lose some flab.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Definitely start incorporating strength training into your workouts. You may not lose much weight, but you're probably at least lose some flab.
    True. I could lose some flabs for sure. LOLs.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! I lost 11 lbs in 6 weeks! There is hope! :wink:

Thanks, I still have hope. How was your diet and workout routine like?

Well I am 5'9" and when I started MFP I weighed 175, I am now 164, I keep my calories at 12-1300 and all I do is walk for 30 mins 5 days a week.
  • pavang82
    Options
    I think you should def let this bet go. Let them know it's not safe and let them know they will not be collecting 300$ from you! I mean what kind of people are you betting with? They do not seem to care enough for your health to let you know it is not safe. I do remember when I was 130 right when I came into the military. I went to Basic Training and i came out at about 110. My parents could hardly recognize me and not to mention I gained the weight back plus! Do the right thing, try starting off by losing 10 pounds first then the other 10. Ultimately you are going to do what you want but just remember the consequences! :flowerforyou:
    I remember when I used to weight 110. Now, 20lbs heavier, people don't really recognize me anymore. But like I said before, 112 would be a healthy weight range for me, it's just lower in the healthy range spectrum.
  • pavang82
    Options
    Well I am 5'9" and when I started MFP I weighed 175, I am now 164, I keep my calories at 12-1300 and all I do is walk for 30 mins 5 days a week.
    That's great. What makes me wanna give up is that I work out so hard. I run 5x per week anywhere from 3-6 miles and do other stuff too. My weight has plateau the last month. I guesss I really need to watch out what I'm eating.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

So why on earth would you think all of a sudden you can make your body drop another 20 in less time and be healthy??? We can tell you are going to try, and probably not in a healthy way.

So good luck.
    I will try, but I'm going to do it the healthy way. Even if I dont' lose 20lbs, 10lbs will be good for me. It's for motivation as well. Thanks though.

Trust me, I am ALL ABOUT you going for losing weight (if you need to) and getting healthy. I just don't like seeing anyone trying to do it the wrong way. Your last statement sounded WAY MORE encouraging. From what I saw before you were going for the 20 no matter what.

I was just concerned is all. I have always been a heavier person, and in high school I did some things to drop weight that worked, but it screwed me up really bad for a long time afterwards. I just hope to try to help someone from making similar mistakes.

Again, good luck, stay healthy.
  • pavang82
    Options
    Trust me, I am ALL ABOUT you going for losing weight (if you need to) and getting healthy. I just don't like seeing anyone trying to do it the wrong way. Your last statement sounded WAY MORE encouraging. From what I saw before you were going for the 20 no matter what.

I was just concerned is all. I have always been a heavier person, and in high school I did some things to drop weight that worked, but it screwed me up really bad for a long time afterwards. I just hope to try to help someone from making similar mistakes.

Thanks for your concern. I will do it the healthy way b/c I've learned from mistakes in the past before. BTW, I was looking at your profile. Congrats ont he 70lbs weight loss. How long did it take you to lose that amount?
  • chgudnitz
    Options

Thanks for your concern. I will do it the healthy way b/c I've learned from mistakes in the past before. BTW, I was looking at your profile. Congrats ont he 70lbs weight loss. How long did it take you to lose that amount?

Thank you. I started in March of this year.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That's great. What makes me wanna give up is that I work out so hard. I run 5x per week anywhere from 3-6 miles and do other stuff too. My weight has plateau the last month. I guesss I really need to watch out what I'm eating.

Yes, its really about what you are putting in your mouth. I worked out a lot too before, 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half a day and kept eating not great but not that bad and didnt lose anything. So I tracked my calories really cooled it on my work-outs, as I think that really stresses your life out trying to find the time to exercise. Walking a half hour a day is relaxing, I can fit it in at any time of the day. What really woke me up is when my friend, a personal trainer said its 85% diet 15% exercise, so I tweaked my diet and found a calorie range that was good for me and the weight just fell off effortlessly. I still have what everyone is eating but NOT AS MUCH! I hoped I helped! Just dont give up! Never say never!
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I'd bet that your body has gotten used to the running, especially since you're running 5x per week. Running is great for lower body strength, but it's probably not as difficult for you anymore (your heart rate is lower). So I would incorporate something new into your routine that you aren't already used to.
  • pavang82
    Options
    Yes, its really about what you are putting in your mouth. I worked out a lot too before, 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half a day and kept eating not great but not that bad and didnt lose anything. So I tracked my calories really cooled it on my work-outs, as I think that really stresses your life out trying to find the time to exercise. Walking a half hour a day is relaxing, I can fit it in at any time of the day. What really woke me up is when my friend, a personal trainer said its 85% diet 15% exercise, so I tweaked my diet and found a calorie range that was good for me and the weight just fell off effortlessly. I still have what everyone is eating but NOT AS MUCH! I hoped I helped! Just dont give up! Never say never!
    That's so true. I joined MFP in may 08 and never lost a pound until March 09 when I changed my diet. For the last few months, I've lost 15lbs. But now I'm on a plateau.
  • pavang82
    Options
    I'd bet that your body has gotten used to the running, especially since you're running 5x per week. Running is great for lower body strength, but it's probably not as difficult for you anymore (your heart rate is lower). So I would incorporate something new into your routine that you aren't already used to.
    Yes, my body has gotten used to running except I run at 6.4 mph with a incline of anywhere from 0.5 to 2. Earlier I used to run at 5.4 so this is a huge difference. I'm actually drenched in sweat after I finish running which I never was before. Also, I do use the elliptical machine, but 20 min at level 13.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Yes, my body has gotten used to running except I run at 6.4 mph with a incline of anywhere from 0.5 to 2. Earlier I used to run at 5.4 so this is a huge difference. I'm actually drenched in sweat after I finish running which I never was before. Also, I do use the elliptical machine, but 20 min at level 13.

Can I ask how long you run for?
  • pavang82
    Options
    I run for about 30 minutes which is 3 miles during my lunch break.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    But you're ignoring the whole upper body from your shoulders/arms to back to your core muscles!!! These muscles have tremendous important in our lives. I take it you workout at a gym. Go to the weight training area of the gym. Do core work on mats, weights, push ups, squats, whatever your fancy.
  • pavang82
    Options
    But you're ignoring the whole upper body from your shoulders/arms to back to your core muscles!!! These muscles have tremendous important in our lives. I take it you workout at a gym. Go to the weight training area of the gym. Do core work on mats, weights, push ups, squats, whatever your fancy.
    I also do crutches, but I dont' count these as exercise. I dont know y. At times, I also jump rope anywehre from 1000-2000 of these when I feel like I've eaten too much.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    I run for about 30 minutes which is 3 miles during my lunch break.

I know I remember reading somewhere about having to go over 30 minutes to really start burning fat. I have no clue if its right, but I read it. I run as well, most of the time a little longer than that.

Is there any way to make it about 40 - 45 minutes, or is your lunch break not long enough? Do you eat during lunch?
  • pavang82
    Options
    I know I remember reading somewhere about having to go over 30 minutes to really start burning fat. I have no clue if its right, but I read it. I run as well, most of the time a little longer than that.

Is there any way to make it about 40 - 45 minutes, or is your lunch break not long enough? Do you eat during lunch?
    That's what I heard also. I dont' eat during lunch, but I usually have a protein shake after my workout. My lunch break isn't long enough. BTW, at times, like 3x per week I go running around the lake which is 3 miles also along with my lunch workout. If I don't go running later on, I usually do 1000-2000 jump rope at home. Is this too much?

Basically I separate my workout into two parts. I try to get at least 60 min of workout per day.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I think this may be true after you get in better shape. I just stared back running again and can only make it 20 minutes at 5.0. I see a difference in my body shape already. There may be some truth to it tho because I remember when I was running a minimum of 40 minutes, the change was amazing. I felt like the fat was just melting off of me. :smile:
  • pavang82
    Options
    I think this may be true after you get in better shape. I just stared back running again and can only make it 20 minutes at 5.0. I see a difference in my body shape already. There may be some truth to it tho because I remember when I was running a minimum of 40 minutes, the change was amazing. I felt like the fat was just melting off of me. :smile:
    Does it work if you workout later on the day as well. Or does it have to be per workout only?