How do you log your water intake, if at all?

Options
I was just curious. I log that I've had a cup of water whenever I drink a glass. I don't log it when I drink non-caloric beverages such as tea or coffee, and I log drinks with calories such as soy milk as food.

I generally try to aim for six glasses of water a day, but I usually end up drinking more, especially since it's helping me cut down on snacking.

Replies

• LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    when i 1st joined i was logging my water ( i only drink water or diet coke , with the RARE splurge of a reg drink)
    only count water .. i was using the lil glass/cup tracker .. but now i rarely track it
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Usually just plain water I log. I don't count coffee, tea, diet soda or anything like that even though they are primarily water.
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I sit next to the water cooler at work so that helps, I drink around 14 glasses (7 pints) of water a day. I have around one cup of coffee a day which I don't log
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You don't need to. just drink when you're thirsty and you'll be fine. i wish they'd replace the water tracker with a sleep tracker.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything I drink if it doesn't have calories. I don't drink a lot of beverages that have calories, but when I do, I log them as food. I also don't log the tsp of sugar I put in coffee or hot tea on the very rare occasions I drink it. If it was an every day, or even every week occurrence I would.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I was just curious. I log that I've had a cup of water whenever I drink a glass. I don't log it when I drink non-caloric beverages such as tea or coffee,

You drink tea and coffee without water in it? :o
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    You don't need to. just drink when you're thirsty and you'll be fine. i wish they'd replace the water tracker with a sleep tracker.
    I think a sleep tracker would just be super-discouraging for me. All it would tell me is stuff I already know: I don't sleep enough, and I should be sleeping on a more regular schedule. :P

The only problem with drinking when I'm thirsty is that I rarely feel thirsty except for after a workout, so I'd probably end up only drinking one or two glasses of water a day, plus my mug of tea in the morning and before bed.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I was just curious. I log that I've had a cup of water whenever I drink a glass. I don't log it when I drink non-caloric beverages such as tea or coffee,

You drink tea and coffee without water in it? :o
    But don't the caffeine and magic voodoo chemicals in tea and coffee make them not really water and not actually as hydrating as water? I may be a Microbiology major and I may have taken Human Physiology and Biochemistry, but I actually know nothing about how this hullabaloo works.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. Tea, coffee or whatever gets logged in as part of the meal.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    At home and work I drink out of a 1L bottle. When it's empty I log 4 cups, fill and repeat. :-)

I only log water. To me, tea and coffee cancel themselves out a bit because of the diuretic effect of the caffeine. Probably not enough to nullify the benefit of the water in them, but that's how I think of it.

It's really just an old habit of mine from my WW days to only log water as fluids. And it helps me keep drinking the water, which I find gives me more energy, reduces my snack cravings and generally makes me feel better.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I love the water tracker, but I'd love to have a sleep tracker too!
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    If you're thirsty drink - no need to force yourself to drink water. If you're in a hot climate, at high altitude or working out a lot you will need more water , but your body will tell you this probably. If you are peeing all the time you are drinking too much!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't using the water tracker, you could use it to track your hours of sleep.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Only log plain water as water. I do log my coffee as food because i add just a bit of cream to it. I don't bother to log my diet drinks even though I probably should.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think a sleep tracker would just be super-discouraging for me. All it would tell me is stuff I already know: I don't sleep enough, and I should be sleeping on a more regular schedule. :P

The only problem with drinking when I'm thirsty is that I rarely feel thirsty except for after a workout, so I'd probably end up only drinking one or two glasses of water a day, plus my mug of tea in the morning and before bed.

I too, am rarely thirsty. I could go all day without drinking anything, so I log each time I finish my water bottle. I usually get 96+ oz./ day.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I log my water, or coffee, but that's it. I do indulge in a caffeine free diet coke everyday, but don't log that. I have a 52 oz cup that I fill up twice while here at work, and that's my water for the day.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Caffeine free, non-alcholic drinks, and milk count as "water". They help flush your system, hydrate you, and move the fiber through.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. I drink a lot and have never had a problem with dehydration so I don't see the point.

If I did, I would log everything nonalcoholic. I would, however, log beer as 1 cup for every 2 cups consumed because you will still be getting a water surplus from beer. Wine and liquor are pretty dehydrating so I wouldn't log those unless they were in mixed drinks or sangria, then I'd probably go with logging 1 per every 2-3 consumed, depending on how strong the drinks were. I don't see any point in logging fluid intake if you aren't going to log it all.
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am surprised I am drinking 7 pints of water a day because prior to joining MFP two weeks ago I would have about one cup of coffee a day, thats it no other drinks or liquids. Reason - not thirsty so I forget to drink but now I am making a conscious effort to drink more and I'm finding it really helps.

As for a sleep tracker I get around 6 hours sleep a night so I know I don't sleep enough
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Water = Water and I track it on the little tracker until I hit nine. Any more, I don't log (actually didn't realize that it will keep going up even though it looks like its overflowing until recently).

If I actually have a different beverage other than water (milk, lite lemonade or an adult beverage), I log it.