After working out what do you eat for protein?

Options

Replies

• jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Trail Mix
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Whey protein post workout, it is the fastest and most easily absorbed, perfect for blunting the elevated cortisol levels.
    Don't eat dairy, the casein protein in those items is very slowly absorbed and better used at any other time than post workout.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just took a run and I'm kind of getting sick of eating lunch meat when I'm done :sick:

So, what do you eat after working out? Peanut butter? Protein shake? Meat? Eggs?

any and or all the above depending on what my other meals for the day have provided. I consume between 160 and 220 grams of protein a day. I get as much from solid foods as I can, then supplement before bed if Im low.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    protein shake :drinker:
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Optimum Platinum Hydrobuilder Protein Chocolate shake with a table spoon of PB mixed in....it's like drinking a Peanut Butter Cup
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Usually a protein shake made with a scoop of whey, 1/2 a banana, 1 cup of milk / almond milk, 1 tbls peanut butter, some spinach, and sometimes 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt. It's fun to add in a small spoonful of pudding mix too sometimes. :D
  • sreelurocx
    sreelurocx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body with amino acids ( protiens) after work out to rebuild the muscles and eggs are wonderful natural source of the protien. According to the Paleo people , raw eggs have twice as much as the nutrient value than hardboiled eggs.
    I heard about the Dried egg powder that can be mixed with fresh fruits smoothie with high amino acid content , but hadn't researched much about it.
    Whey 100% protien powder is most common protien source used by many , I have stopped it cos I read somewhere about some unhealthy side effects of its consumption. :smile:
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I drink an EAS advantage protein shake from Walmart, its quick and easy (premade), has 17g protein and no sugar and only 100 cals........its awesome!

That sounds really good, I'm going to have to try!

No suggestions here, as I too am looking for some good post-workout protein-filled snacks! Can't wait to see what everyone has to suggest!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before my workout and after my work out I eat 3-4 eggs. Usually does the trick
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    After a morning workout I have a protein shake. If I workout in the evening on the way home from the office I usually just have dinner when I get home.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I like to eat plain yogurt with some peanutbutter and honey stirred in.

omg that sounds delic! I don't know why i've never done that before:love:
    mind=blown
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If I do cardio I just eat a regular dinner when I get home. On days I lift, I drink a recovery shake immediately following my workout. I usually eat a small dinner about an hour after that.
  • katkrak
    katkrak Posts: 92
    Options
    Protein Shake:
    Chobani Blueberry Greek Yogurt (or any flavor you like)
    3/4 c. strawberries (or blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, banana)
    1 scoop vanilla bean Biggest Loser protein powder
    1c. crushed ice (and maybe a splash of water to loosen ingredients)
    Blend and enjoy :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Either some kind of whey protein shake or two of meals I enjoy:

A smoothie made with:

a *kitten* ton of strawberries
    unsweetened almond milk
    raw cacao powder
    big ol scoop of vanilla whey protein
    flax seed
    chia seed
    powdered unicorn horn

otherwise I will pig out on a plate of yellowtail/salmon/tuna sashimi if I have money to blow
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a protein shake (like others)... but always dinner :laugh:

95% of my dinners include chicken, pork, or steak - all excellent sources of protein.

PS: If you workout in the morning, I suggest eggs or cottage cheese
  • lnfunchess
    Options
    I just took a run and I'm kind of getting sick of eating lunch meat when I'm done :sick:

So, what do you eat after working out? Peanut butter? Protein shake? Meat? Eggs?

Plain greek yogurt, a banana and maybe 1 tbsp of peanut butter depending on how hard i worked. I try to be careful because shakes can equal to a lot of calories.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake with lots of banana before and isopure on the way home after.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein powder, chocolate almond milk, 1 cap of mint extract and 6 or 8 ice cubes, 1 tbsp flax seed in the bullet. AMAZING!!!
  • Superrhi
    Superrhi Posts: 84
    Options
    A Banana... Always :)
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Usually do a protein shake and an apple.