Sodium Intake Consequences...

Options
I'm usually pretty good about watching my sodium but I'm curious as to whether or not I even understand why I'm watching it...So if someone can confirm or correct my assumptions that would be wonderful.

My understanding is that high sodium levels will not make you gain weight nor will they stop you from losing...but they will make you retain water which could throw off the scale. Is that correct?

I know high sodium has other effects on your health too and I'm not worried about anything beyond the weight loss since my sodium levels usually aren't bad. I just want to make sure that by having days with relatively high sodium once in awhile I'm not sabotaging my weight loss.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, yes, it's just water retention. For me, up to 3 pounds from just one day of really high sodium (3500+)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    could make you retain and some people will have high blood pressure

if this isn't an issue for you then you should be fine..

if you do like to add salt to your food there is a brand called no~salt they also have lower sodium salt
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have hypertension or risk factors for it, then there is no reason to watch it, other than temporary water retention. Also, if you consume equal amounts of potassium sodium intake doesn't matter.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was hit hard by the sodium monster a few days ago. I took in like over 6k mg the other day and shot up like 5lbs in one day.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yup. you've got a good handle on it. I don't even track it now, honestly.

lots of water. we flush out 90 to 95 percent of our sodium through urination. more water, more bathroom breaks. also, workouts will get rid of some through sweating. and then increase potassium-rich foods. when sodium and potassium are in balance, you're golden.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yup. assuming you don't have high blood-pressure (hypertension), it's not an issue. People here just like to complain about it because it changes the number on the scale. If you're concerned about fitting into a tight outfit for a certain event, avoid it for a few days, but other than that, eat your food with the amount of salt you like, and lose weight at the same time. i'm sure i could "drop" a few pounds if I cut my salt intake, but it would be back instantly as soon as I seasoned my food to my tastes. So it's not "real" weight loss or gain.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I don't find salt makes any difference to my weight at all, but a few glasses of wine can put the scales 2 lbs up from water retention the next morning.
  • Shyhmim
    Shyhmim Posts: 27
    Options
    I got really lazy yesterday and ate 2 packets of Instant noodles which was pack with Sodium. I didnt go over my calory goal, but i gained about 3 pounds this morning when i weight myself.

So today, i exercised, ate healthily, drank alot of water, drank black coffee and ate a grapefruit to flush the water out. It worked!! the water weight is starting to come off.

If water retention keeps happening and the sodium is not being flushed, you run a risk of developing hypertension. :smile: