How do you log your water intake, if at all?

Options

Replies

• Bukeroo
    Bukeroo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Caffine and alcohol are suppose to dehydrate you and make you retain water. Or something like that lol, while water is suppose to keep you hydrated and flush your body out. I drink herble teas, which don't contain any caffine and log it as water. But not sure if you are suppose to or not. I am trying to stop drinking coffee,but still have one on occassion, and log it in my food diary.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When I was addicted to unsweet tea, I did research as I figured it counted toward my water intake. I mean, it's water with some herbs steeped in it. I found out that tea is a diuretic, so not only does it NOT count as water., but whatever ounces you drink in tea, you are supposed to drink that many ounces of water OVER your recommended water intake to make up for it. :-(
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I rarely log it anymore. I did at first to make sure i was getting enough, but drink plenty now so i don't feel i need to log it.
  • bktibbetts
    bktibbetts Posts: 140
    Options
    I track 1 cup on the water tracker to every 8 oz. I drink. Mostly all water, but I do track unsweetened green tea as water - but make sure for every 8 oz. of green tea, I drink at least that much water as well. Hope I am doing it right. I read that at my current weight, I should be drinking 132 oz. of water a day - whoa
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with it...I only drink tea (which I do log under a different heading) and plain water, but usually I forget to log my water...I know I drink enough! :)
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    I log them after finishing a glass full most of the time, I only count plain water and green tea.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me whatever you drink goes to hydrate you but I only track water because it says water not drinks. Everything else I log with my food.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I was just curious. I log that I've had a cup of water whenever I drink a glass. I don't log it when I drink non-caloric beverages such as tea or coffee, and I log drinks with calories such as soy milk as food.

I generally try to aim for six glasses of water a day, but I usually end up drinking more, especially since it's helping me cut down on snacking.

I log count straight water as water. Then again, water, coffee, and alcoholic beverages (beer and wine) are about all I ever drink. I used to put a splash of lemon or lime juice into my water to flavor it up, and I'd most certainly count THAT as water. But things with caffeine, sugar, or other stuff in it I don't consider to be "water" for my daily allotment.

I do log the occasional glass of milk, but as a food item, not as water.

I've stopped tracking my water on the site because I always drink plenty - usually more than the site calls for.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I was addicted to unsweet tea, I did research as I figured it counted toward my water intake. I mean, it's water with some herbs steeped in it. I found out that tea is a diuretic, so not only does it NOT count as water., but whatever ounces you drink in tea, you are supposed to drink that many ounces of water OVER your recommended water intake to make up for it. :-(

I don't know where you did your research but this is completely FALSE. Caffeine is a diuretic in high doses. Coffee or tea, even if they are made very strong, do not contain enough caffeine to be diuretic. Unless, of course, you drink high amounts of them. Then, just like drinking high amounts of plain water, they will be diuretic. Drinking more of any liquid than your body can use causes a diuretic effect.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I log my water as water.

Coffee, tea or any drinks with calories in them should be logged, as you are drinking calories.

When I started a year ago, I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi, and quickly lost 8 lbs. That was all from the soda I was drinking!!

Now, I do also drink Vitamin Water Zero, and do count those as water since there are no calories.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I usually drink plain water, and log that on my "water tracker". On the rare occasion that I drink "unsweetened iced tea", then I also consider that water. Any other beverage that I drink, i.e., coffee(with milk/creamer), milk, wine, etc., gets logged with my food.
  • gaylearmstrong
    Options
    :drinker: When you go to log foods at the bottom of the page is an indicator to log water. Like others I log water only. However, I do log coffee, tea, soda, diet soda, any other liquids in as an item I have consumed on the food logs. This gives you the calorie, carbs, and everything you need to track.

Being diabetic I was surprised to see how much coffee, diet soda, tea, juice or fluids I consumed. It sure help me cut back and not have to pee all day long. Increased my weight loss also by decreasing carbs.:wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea or any drinks with calories in them should be logged, as you are drinking calories.

When I started a year ago, I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi, and quickly lost 8 lbs. That was all from the soda I was drinking!!

Now, I do also drink Vitamin Water Zero, and do count those as water since there are no calories.

Coffee and tea don't have calories, though some additives such as sugar or cream might.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I don't know where you did your research but this is completely FALSE. Caffeine is a diuretic in high doses. Coffee or tea, even if they are made very strong, do not contain enough caffeine to be diuretic. Unless, of course, you drink high amounts of them. Then, just like drinking high amounts of plain water, they will be diuretic. Drinking more of any liquid than your body can use causes a diuretic effect.

Below are articles that support your arguements. Extract also show:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

"All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

"Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available. "
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

AWE!!! COME ON!! That sucks!! I love my tea. I only log water though. But anyway back to my whining...kicking rocks talking to myself:brokenheart: :sad:
  • Memorysketch
    Memorysketch Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. If it's got calories in it (like milk, tea, soda, etc) then I log it with food. I love my water log - it makes me happy to go over the 8 oz a day. I don't mind peeing all day! :)
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The FitBit can be used as a sleep tracker.
    Under tools ;)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    now, in my water counter i log the water i drink.
    Even in your food there is some things that are accounted for water. soup, icecream, shakes, milk, tea, jello..... when doing it for my doc i use to put it into my notes..x amout of water plus x amount from food gave me total water for the day....
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't log it unless I feel I'm in danger of getting dehydrated. I have been severely dehydrated before to the point of requiring two IV infusions so I know what it feels like when my kidneys are hurting from fluid loss.

I don't really enjoy the feeling that water gives my stomach either so I sometimes have to log it just to get myself to drink it. If I'm working out hard I don't have a problem getting in at least 10 glasses a day though.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I log my water and I also log my green tea since I drink it straight with no extra added flavor. I also log my glass of milk under food since it has calories in it.