How many of us are Autism Moms?

Options

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 1/2 year old with HFA. He was medically diagnosed with PDD-NOS one day prior to his second birthday. He received early childhood special ed services, and finally met educational criteria when he turned 7. He has made huge progress throughout the years! I switched schools in January 2011 after his previous school couldn't seem to realize that although he is super smart academically, he has special needs...like social skills, common sense kinds of things...he is easily frustrated!!! He now attends the same school where I am one of the special ed teachers. He has blossomed here! In fact, this past Christmas, he was the soloist! I also have a 5 12 year old that was recently diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Makes life kinda interesting! :) But, like the rest of you, I would NOT trade my kids for anything!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 year old who was diagnosed NLD two years ago and finally Aspergers a few weeks ago. Luckily we were already doing a lot of stuff for the NLD that helps with the Asperger stuff too - like schedules/routines/explaining what we are doing etc.

He is a lovely lovely boy, he has never been anything other than affectionate with me and his step-dad although he is closed to everyone else. He doesn't make eye contact, tends to go on and on, has an extremely rigid black-and-white view of things and can throw the most incredible temper tantrums (!), is very good at art & especially sculpting stuff and does not get on with other kids very well at all. Very much affected by visual/auditory stimuli.

I wouldn't change him though, as when he is in the room everything seems more interesting (can't describe why but it just does!).

We haven't had a lot of help yet, other than physio for poor motor coordination, but are on a waiting list for psycho-education (for us parents) and individual counselling for him - stuff like how to read body language etc.

He has also been skipped a grade at school and will finish primary school at 10 (usually here it is 12) and I am very concerned about high school and how he will deal with crowds/schedules etc.. but we'll see when we get there!

Feel free to add me.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not a mom, but I work with a family with a son with autism. I have been working with him for 4 years, and his parents go away for week long trainings. I stay with him for the week, so I'm kinda like his second mommy. I see him every week.

I also am an autism associate, supporting 4 adult females in their house daily.

Autism is very much part of my life!
  • laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a 5 year old son that has Autism. He was diagnosed at 33 months old, but could have seriously been diagnosed at 22 months old. We thought it was just a speech delay, but his SLP noticed a few "autistic traits" and motivated us (i initially did not take this well) to have our son looked at. Sure enough, Ethan was diagnosed with ASD and SLI (speech language impairment). He has definitely come a long way, but has so much more to go. This march we received a "go" for him to be mainstreamed into General Education Kindergarten. This has been huge goal we made for Ethan, and we are so glad he has been given a chance to have it come to fruition. He currently attends general ed preschool and receives 35 hours of Early Intensive Behavioral Treatment (EIBT) (intense ABA therapy, 1:1). His speech and language skills are still lacking compared to other kiddos his age, but Ethan is smart and very bright. He loves authority and being around other kids his age. We are also very fortunate that he does not have any violent behaviors and does not tantrum. He travels well and does better than most typical kids in restaurants/events.

One of the fun (i say this sarcastically) quirks to my son is that he memorizes tv shows, movies and books, and is a huge "scripter." It's odd because he speaks perfectly when he scripts, but the expressive language is difficult for him, gotta love autism.

He is also Gluten and Casein Free, all organic, on a high dose vitamin and mineral regiment and takes double probiotics a day.. This has helped tremendously on his concentration skills, gut issues, and immunity problems. His BioMed Doctor is Dr. Jerry Kartzinel, who's website is mendingautism.com. If anyone is interested in the huge benefits of BioMed treatments email me. My son suffered from a serious amounts of ear infections and random fevers (with no other symptoms, sign of a bad immune system, gut related), a lot of autistic kids have a weakened immune system, and most general doctors simply look over it, mine did.

I am also a huge advocate for parents creating their own vaccine schedule. I do not believe there is one bad shot, i believe that most of our kiddos bodies/immune system cannot handle the standard CDC vaccine schedule, so if more parents know they can stretch out their schedule, all would benefit.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Not a Mom, but a Dad with a 9 year old who has Asperger Syndrome, when she was younger, school was tough, we got calls to come pick her up, she would just get so upset at small things, like a substitute teacher she didn't know about. She has gotten better as she has gotten older and the school has been a huge help in understanding her and working with her. We were told that the teens years will be a trying time for her. We will see. I'm glad to see she is learning to deal with things better, my wife and I are too. Reading through her, I see other parents who have children diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome doing the same things we do to try and help them along.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    my youngest is autistic, a year ago she was almost completely non verbal. now she talks up a storm. she's allllllllllllll full sentences now and can tell me exactly what is on her mind. i love it....most of the time lol
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Quasimodoh
    Quasimodoh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not a mom but I'm a sister of a 10 year old boy with Asperger. I really understand what you all say even though I'm only the sister.

Has anyone tried the gluten-free lactose free diet? we will try it in a couple of weeks, it's supposed to help with the Asperger and de attention deficit

My daughter has been on the Gluten Dairy free diet for nearly 5 years now and we honestly believe she is much better because of it. It's hard sometimes to tell where her autism ends and the genetic condition begins but since being on it she has been calmer, picked up at school and no longer suffers with endless ENT infections.
  • marylovehellokitty
    marylovehellokitty Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    here with an 8 year old boy!!!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Not quite an Autism mom, but living at home with my mother with Asperger's/anxiety, my adult older brother with mild Asperger's and my adult younger brother with high-functioning Autism. They all are at different places on the scale, but I have a lot of experience with the topic.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    A close cousin of mine has aspergers. He is doing so great, he graduated from high school and will be going to college. My best friend's daughter has austism, she is also doing great, she is in high school and doing co-op at Old Navy.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Not an Autism mom (or sister or anything really) but just wanted to pop on and say "I salute you." You all have your work cut out for you and I'm sure love your kids like crazy! Great work and good job taking some time for you :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have a 17 year old daughter on the spectrum, she was diagnosed officially at 8 but had various diagnoses before 8. We homeschool too. Every year in NC there is a Run for Autism and I usually sign up, but I think to myself..."I run every day for autism!" (on the treadmill) hahaha and after this run....my daughter will still have autism. but ok....i'll humor this. ;)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that you guys are awesome! :flowerforyou:

It's not easy when your child is different and doing the best you can for them is all anyone can ask for!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am an aunty to a young lady with autism. She is 15 and only just now finally got diagnosed . I love her to bits. I worry so much about how she will get on in life as an adult.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Hey there! I have a daughter with Autism who will be 3 soon. She has a very small spoken vocabulary, a slightly larger signing vocabulary, and I am currently training her on an iPad AAC. We were using EI but after a few months it became stagnant so we let them go and took over... she has since made much more progress.

Her diet consists primarily of milk. Once every couple weeks I can get her to eat some apple or yam baby food but that's about it. We call her our veal baby :)

I wasn't really wanting new friends cause my list got crazy and I downsized, but I'd be willing to bring on a few ASD moms! Just say so if you decide to add.

P.S. I don't believe in so-called "recovery" or the DAN! movement so please no supporters or we will just get in a tizzy :)
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am not a mom- but I work in a psychiatric hospital with kids that are developmentally disabled and 90% of them are autism. ( with the rest being downs, RAD, MR, aspergers ) and most with a combination of more then one disability. :heart:
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My son is 16 and has Asperger's. He always struggled with handwriting (due to dysgraphia) as well as his pragmatic language and socialization...however, he is above average IQ and participates in a lot of pre-AP/AP classes in his school. Out of an 8 period school day, 2 classes are in Special Ed - one for positive behavioral supports and the other as a created "study hall" for him for work completion, he's in GT and mainstream classes the rest of his day with speech consult each six weeks... this week he will be finishing up 10th grade.

Sometimes there are struggles...but I am fortunate - I also work for a facility in autism research and treatment as an educational coordinator (I had a special education background before working there)...because of my boss and her experience, I have learned so much about autism, research, education, and post-high school options. Bottom line, there's not enough services for our kids....kids on the spectrum grow up to be adults on the spectrum.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My 15 YO is Autistic, mild form Aspergers, He was diagnosed when he was 4 YO, he didn.t speak (or eat) till he was about 3 1/2 to 4 ..... he drank milk by the gallon thou

His first 7 years were spent in a special needs unit but we wanted him to go mainstream as we felt he would be able to fit in (he has a younger brother and sister in mainstream) we fought through the system and managed to get him into main stream school, we also moved him back a year (he re sat primary 7), he struggles with bullying a little from some of the kids throughout the school (mainly the younger ones) ..... Im glad to say that the teachers are very much on top of it, so when theres an episode its dealt with very quickly and with minimum fuss.

This year Im so proud of him, he went to Belguim on a school trip and had great fun :) His main issues are his social skills, hes a bit of a loner.
  • davidkislosky
    Options
    autistic dad