People can be so vein!

Options
What I do or say on mfp is about ME! Has nothing to do with anyone else. Some people may call me fat, some people may call me skinny. But guess what? It is what I think about myself that matters at the moment. Just because I think I am fat has NOTHING at all to do with "than what does that make me?" Sorry people stop being so vein...I am speaking of myself NOT you. I know how I feel!

Replies

• JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think you look great :) i am striving for a thinner weight and i think i look fat even though my friends say i am getting so thin LOL i don't see it but i am with you my idea is diffrent then someone else ..........
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    hehehehe
  • terrie_exercise_mom
    Options
    I think you look great :) i am striving for a thinner weight and i think i look fat even though my friends say i am getting so thin LOL i don't see it but i am with you my idea is diffrent then someone else ..........
    Thank you! That is what I am saying...just because I think I may be fat has nothing to do with anyone else rather they weigh 100 pounds or 300 pounds as I am talking about me and not thinking about them.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Alot of people think I'm much too artery
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :

:wink:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

you're a capillary.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There's a tension that can never be entirely resolved. On the one hand, we want to be secure in ourselves, believe we are attractive and good enough, even if by strict aesthetic standards we're not the most gorgeous thing on earth. On the other, we, and especially women, live in a sexist, lookist society in which women are harshly judged, by themselves and others.

When I was growing people openly expressed the thought that it was wrong to apply a double standard to women. Nowadays, I see lots of people who seem not to care, including a lot of "girls" who are all too happy to objectify themselves.

To call these concerns mere "vanity" is too simple.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options

you're a capillary.

Be quiet, I'm trying to watch my new PLASMA tv <groan>.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Be quiet, I'm trying to watch my new PLASMA tv <groan>.

That was painful, but a good kind of pain.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm the motherfn' vena cava!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There's a tension that can never be entirely resolved. On the one hand, we want to be secure in ourselves, believe we are attractive and good enough, even if by strict aesthetic standards we're not the most gorgeous thing on earth. On the other, we, and especially women, live in a sexist, lookist society in which women are harshly judged, by themselves and others.

When I was growing people openly expressed the thought that it was wrong to apply a double standard to women. Nowadays, I see lots of people who seem not to care, including a lot of "girls" who are all too happy to objectify themselves.

Ah, yes, good old internalized misogyny.
    I'm totally using lookist in a sentence today, BTW.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm the motherfn' vena cava!
    :laugh:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Ah, yes, good old internalized misogyny.
    I'm totally using lookist in a sentence today, BTW.

I thought "lookist" was a common term. In any event, all I'm saying in this and similar posts is that there is a larger cultural context in which these things have to be considered. Too many self-help gurus have suggested that merely by thinking positive thoughts our problems should be solved and if they're not it's all our fault, we didn't try hard enough.

Self-esteem is good, but it has to be based on something real, and when we go out into the real world, we ARE judged and even the most well-adjusted person (esp. woman) is going to have insecurities at times.

I do think that being aware that this problem is more complex than simple vanity helps.