5wks hardcore workouts = NO results!

Options
13»

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    You can exercise all you want, but if you are eating too much you aren't going to lose anything.

My first guess is you aren't being very consistent. If you want it to work like a science you have to treat it like a science and be ACCURATE with your intake, including using measuring cups and weights and logging EVERYTHING (and this should go without saying, but NO CHEAT MEALS/DALS). Also, 1,200 does sound a bit low for someone who has 50 lbs to lose.

You need a 500 cal defecit from your TDEE to lose 1 lb a week no matter your age, sex, race, etc. Age only makes a difference in that your BMR is slower when you are older, but MFP takes your age into account when calculating your goal, so that can't be the issue. HOWEVER, your BMR may be lower than average for your age/weight/height.

Upping your intake may or may not be the answer, it is hard to say with the info given. But my suggestion is to follow your goal religiously for 3 more weeks (with NO cheat meals/days) and THEN start trouble shooting. Also, if you DO eat back your calories burned make sure you are being very conservative unless you are using a HRM because average estimators overestimate.

I don't agree with this advice at all. The term cheat implies it's wrong to eat certain foods. any food you like should be allowed. i look at it this way, if I'm losing weight, there's no food i am eating now that i won't be eating after my goal nor is there a food I'm eating to lose weight that I will stop eating once I reach my goal. Being strict isn't always necessary, just saying.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Give it 12 weeks. Don’t QUIT!”

OR give it a lifetime. I can understand wanting the results here and now, but changing your eating HABITS and exercise HABITS will do you well for a LIFETIME of feeling good, and looking good as a bonus.

HABIT = regularly followed behaviors
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! 1,200 - 1,500 should be your NET goal -- that means if you work off 800 calories, you need to add those to your total and eat closer to 2,000 that day. Your body will rebel and turn your metabolism against you if you eat too little. It's all about balance.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this advice at all. The term cheat implies it's wrong to eat certain foods. any food you like should be allowed. i look at it this way, if I'm losing weight, there's no food i am eating now that i won't be eating after my goal nor is there a food I'm eating to lose weight that I will stop eating once I reach my goal. Being strict isn't always necessary, just saying.

The point is that if you're not making the progress you're expecting, adhere to your program strictly for a period of time long enough to determine if the issue is your program or if it's the times when you don't follow the program strictly.

Cheat days and such are a great thing...as long as you can still reach your goals with them.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    An inch is huge...
    Sometimes. :smokin:

LOL! :bigsmile:
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with the majority of the posters here. I think you might not be eating enough calories. The number choose means nothing. I've looked at your diary, and you consistently (one exception in two or three weeks) log under the calorie goal. Meet the net calorie goal you have set, not some arbitrary number 500 or 600 calories below that goal. Continue to work hard in your workouts. You will see results. Be patient; this is going to be a new lifestyle for you, not some crash diet that will be over in a month or two so you can gain all that weight back again. Be in it for a lifetime.
  • xeyemon
    xeyemon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few people noted that you need to watch what you log or simply put you're eating too much. I had this problem and couldn't figure out why I was not losing as mfp.com predicted I would. I started measuring all portions and including every morsel that went into my mouth and realized I was a "Big Cheater!" After I got the reality check weight fell off! Tighten up on logging. You can't gain weight if you are not eating.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

By cheat, I meant not logging or going over your goal. There is nothing wrong with eating "bad" foods occasionally as long as you stay under your goal (as long as you are eating healthy otherwise).
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    And inch is pretty god actually. The number on the scale not changing may be because you've been adding muscle, or your body may have been retaining water those first few weeks. When you start a exercise routine, you body will sometimes hold on to water to help heal the muscles you're working. That usually goes away in 2-4 weeks though.

Just make sure you're eating enough and you're logging accurately. As others have said, 1200 may be too low for you, especially if you weren't always eating back your exercise calories after an intense bootcamp session. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep as it and I'm sure you'll see some results.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think you are gaining muscle and pretty soon you will start seeing results as your new muscles will start burning fat. Hang in there, don't starve yourself or over eat and you will get your results. Dam scales.
  • berra2k
    berra2k Posts: 5
    Options
    Training hard doesn't necessarily = training smart.
    Very true. Eat the biggest meal of the day after your training session, get lots of protein, and adjust your macro nutrient needs. High protein, med carb-low carbs, low fat. Remember one rule of thumb, 20% of you're results will come from the gym while 80% will come from the kitchen.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Looks as tho' you are leaving alot of uneaten calories "on the table." For the exercising you are doing, you should eat more of them. Good luck !
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    You are doing GREAT! The most significant accomplishment you have made so far is NOT GIVING UP! Most dieticians do not recommend going below 1100-1200 calories for dieting. You are at the bare minimum. This causes some concern because you are working out and pushing your body into an area where it will not burn fat.

1. First, be sure you are NOT over training. If you started this boot camp from a long lay off then you could be doing to much. Overtraining can cause your body to use protein for energy instead of carbs/stored fat. When this happens, you muscles are sacrificed and fat is retained. Yes, Mother Nature is very cruel. Take some time off to fully recover. During your workouts, once you reach muscle exhaustion, not muscle fatigue/failure, there is nothing more you can do to stimulate growth. So stop.

2. You are going to use what you eat, so eat. A few years ago, the Cincinatti Bengals were the team on HBO's football show. Chad Ochocinco ate McDonald's for breakfast and lunch almost daily. He knew he would burn all those calories during workouts, training, and games. I am not telling you to eat McDonald's, eat as clean as you can and your exercise program and MFP will guide you.

3. Keep detailed notes. Keep a log of how you feel before and after workouts. Also note daily occurrences and how you feel. This will help you get better focus and know how to maximize your intensity during workouts. You will be surprised how much this helps.

Lastly, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  • PearlGrey
    PearlGrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Training hard doesn't necessarily = training smart.
    Very true. Eat the biggest meal of the day after your training session, get lots of protein, and adjust your macro nutrient needs. High protein, med carb-low carbs, low fat. Remember one rule of thumb, 20% of you're results will come from the gym while 80% will come from the kitchen.

... and weekend calories count too, your food diary is "empty" every Sat/Sun. Try logging them too, you may be eating a lot more then.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I joined a bootcamp w/ a professional trainer (former NFL player) knowing I needed someone to push me past my own limitations and not take any excuses that I came up w/. I'm on week 5 of 6, 4x a wk.

I have cried several times during workout b/c it's soooo hard and it hurts! but yet, I am "loving" these workouts. I do feel I'm getting stronger (I can now bench 10lbs more than when I started) and I feel empowered by working out so hard. My moods are better, my stamina and energy have improved and I look forward to the next morning for class.

Thing is, I haven't lost ANY weight (goal is to lose 50lbs) and other than 1inch on my waist, I haven't lost any inches!!! I was introduced to MFP 3wks into camp and since then I have been keeping up w/ my food logging. I had it at 1200cal. and depending on the day (how hungry I was or not), I would or would not eat back my calories burned. Today I changed my goals from 2lbs a week to 1lb which upped my calories for the day. We shall see if this makes any difference.

The point of all this is this: I'm frustrated that I'm working soooo hard and yet see NOTHING !! I don't get it! I'm 32yo and when I lost my preggo weight I was 27 and lost 40lbs in 4mo. Does age really make a difference? I'm pretty sure my hormones are not well (haven't gone to the dr. though) and wonder if that is what's keeping me from losing??!!!

What am I doing wrong? what am I NOT doing? I need to SEE results in order to keep encouraged. As of now, I feel everything I'm doing is pointless and therefore I am tempted to EAT b/c what difference has NOT eating made????

I totally vented! Thanks for hearing me out peeps. I look forward to the May challenge, but I wonder if I will change any of my #'s (I'm restarting the bootcamp class for another 6wks once this one is done). Thanks for any advice or pointers, I need anything I can get!! ~ Elaine

have you had your thyroid checked?
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Just wanted to say you're not alone. I started a women's fitness bootcamp 3 weeks ago as well as tracking my food. I upped my calories about 12 days ago and I haven't seen any results yet either.. I feel like I'm working hard and trying to have patience! Make sure you're eating enough and just ride it out.. if you're doing all the right things... it will happen!