Vacation in Arizona, need tips

Options
2»

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Spend 2 days in the Grand Canyon. Hike north rim to south rim. Sleep at the river.
  • jillb55
    jillb55 Posts: 3
    Options
    Be sure and see the Hoover Dam, I personnaly think it was one of the wonders of the world being built back in the early 1900's with the equipment they had to use! Finished in four years, ahead of schedule which was originall 6 years. It ruly is amazing and your eight uear old will enjoy the site and history.

Have fun Jill
  • marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    def go to sliderock. Its a nature made water slide .. also there is cliff diving there
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions, but remember, will be with three kids 12, 8 and 5.
  • Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, School district is good but not the best in metro phoenix area. Then again, Our school districts are not the best in the country . LOL! But housing is great in the area, and some good charter schools are in the Athem area proximity. Not bad to raise kids.
    Also while you are here, consider Tempe or Chandler area, better schools. Of course, Scottsdale does have nice school too but it is the more affluent neighbourhood. Good luck! Hope this helps.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    def go to sliderock. Its a nature made water slide .. also there is cliff diving there

^^^^THIS IS SO FUN!!!!! Sliderock is great for kids, wear old jean shorts.

I grew up in Phx.. it's hot, but not humid.. it's great
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Sliderock is overrated and you have to be very aware of the water... conditions. Lots of idiots use the creek as a bathroom so... Since your kids are pretty young there is a lot of fun things you can do. The Children's Museum of Phoenix is cool for all ages. The World Wildlife Zoo. Old Tucson. The kids would probably enjoy Montezuma's Castle as another poster mentioned. If you are going to Sedona, take a Hummer or Jeep tour with them.
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Tombstone is AWESOME!!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Anthem isn't a bad area to live. I know a few people who live there. It just kinda sucks because it's on the outskirts of everything. But yeah, someone mentioned Pizzeria Bianco... DO IT. It's in downtown PHX, and there is a wine bar next door. But the pizza? I will swear it can make anyone orgasm just off one bite. I'm not even exaggerating.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think Phoenix has it's ups and downs. There's some nice areas and bad areas like any place. I've lived in Flagstaff for 7 years. It's one of my most favorite towns I've ever lived in (out of california, arizona and georgia!) There's tons of biking and hiking trails all around here. There's artwalks in the summer and movies in the square downtown. It's also nice only being an hour from the grand canyon and 40 minutes from Sedona, and Oak Creek Canyon! I don't have any kids but my coworkers do and there are some good schools here along with extra things for children to do (ice rink, ski team, karata and gymnastics). Hope this helps.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yep, North Most end of Phoenix, next stop Flagstaff :-) Newly developed area- Honeywell and AMex have their Corporate centers and huge presence in the area

You live in my neck of the woods assuming you mean the honeywell and amex around the 101 and I17. I have lived in this neighborhood for about 3 years now and hate to say it but it is in RAPID decline.

When I first moved over here, crime was non-existent. There are crap loads of burglaries, assaults and even a very brutal murder a couple of months ago. It's starting to look like South Phoenix.

Op, downtown is great on the weekends. Leave the kids with a sitter though.

For some good family fun, get some D Backs tickets. That's one of the great things about Phoenix - professional sports.