HATERS??

Options
So, just a quick question to all the other MFPs out there....because its still bugging me!!!

I met up with a friend of mine at the show with our kids about 3 weeks ago (havent seen her for about 3months). The first thing she says to me, before she even says hi is, 'HOLY! Youre getting way too skinny! You need to start eating more! Seriosuly you're getting to look too skinny now, *blah, blah* You're making all us fat people look bad!"
I was like, I do eat, I actually havent even really changed my eating habits, I just work out now.
"well, youre starting to look gross"

I didnt know wether ot punch her in the nose and leave or to tell her "no, you fat people are making yourselves look bad" (which i would NEVER! but i did think about it). BUT i just let it roll off my back, like whatever....but im trying to figure out where shes comming from, my 1st thought is jealousy...but im not that vain really, then i think self hate, maybe? I'm definitly NOT 'skinny' my body is average, normal size. not extreme in either direction. i would actually like to lose another 10lbs.

I seem to be finding that i have less friends than i thought i did. why is it that when we decide to do something good to better ourselves, people around us cannot seem handle our successes? I litterally have lost 3 solid friendships since i started at the gym and quit smoking. It boggles my mind! Like come with me! lol

The older i get the harder it seems to make new friends and meet people. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Haters going to hate. Maybe you're make new friends with people that care about their health vs some that don't.
  • Fallen_Angel226
    Options
    I have experienced much of the same things. Never about being too skinny though lol But honestly I think the root of the problem is this: You're making positive changes for yourself, you're confident in what you're doing, you didn't ask anyone's opinion, and this stirred up jealousy in your friends. They think what you're doing is good deep down, therefore get mad at you to make themselves feel better for not doing it also. I've lost a boyfriend and 3 other friendships this way because people don't have enough confidence in themselves to be happy for you, while also making changes for themselves. Hope this helped!! And just know that there are people out there who can support you without being jealous. It just takes time for those friendships to grow. A good friend is always supportive :)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Telling you that you look gross is out of line. My guess is that being insulting like that when someone has lost weight is, in fact, jealousy or at least feeling uncomfortable about not making any changes herself.

People in general are resistant to change and expect you to be the way you were yesterday, last month, last year. If she hadn't seen you in 3 months, the changes you have made must be pretty evident, and maybe too much at once for her to handle. If she is a really good friend, I might give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she wises up. If she is not a really good friend, I would not exactly be rushing to spend more time with her.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

The older i get the harder it seems to make new friends and meet people. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Unfortunately, if you succeed at something it can make you an object of envy. For the past 20 - 30 years in the U.S. there's been way too much b.s. and myth about how supportive people supposedly are. Frequently, they're not. Unconditional acceptance is actually quite rare.

Find new friends, or at least find new acquaintances who have the same values and interests.

I'm not saying that you, to the extent possible, shouldn't try to be open, and to withhold judgment in your relations with others. But to regularly expect it from others is unrealistic.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    She has a set of brass ones, I'll give her that. I would never say that to a "friend" Ultimately it's our own choice how we choose to live our lives, fat, skinny, gay, straight, religious, or not, it's OUR choice. For her to come down on you like that and so rudely was just wrong. I think she is jealous that you have started making better life choices, and wants to try to make you feel bad. Kind of like the old classroom bully, his life sucked, so he made sure everyone around him was miserable too. Don't let her bring you down. You've come so far, look absolute GORGEOUS, so ignore that smack talk.

As far as the question about finding friends and keeping them, I really don't have many friends at all. I think life gets in the way, people change, and interests are different. I think it's hard to find a friend, let alone one that doesn't rip you apart when you are trying to make better choices.

Eventually I think someone will come along that we can connect with and have a good bond with. It may be after retirement, but I believe it will happen.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this... All of my friends are super supportive, and most doing the same as me. Even my friends that I see on rare occasion. I am very thankful for them when I read these kinds of posts, and I'm so sorry that you don't have friends who support you like they should. But if they're not going to be supportive in any situation how a friend should be, then they're not worth having as a friend. I have lost friends for other reasons. And I've found myself way happier without them. Good luck to you, darling.
  • kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    yup haters gonna hate LoL. Me and my wife are experiencing this with our friends. She has been told she is loosing too much weight and will look old which is bs she looks great. And my friends say i work out too much and im making them look bad haha!@ Honestly i love it- motivates me to get that extra rep up or run that extra few miles. Summertime is knockin and I have been working hard to feel confident about myself at the pool or beach. Its gonna be a great summer :-)
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a change in some of my friend's attitudes but have only been dieting since the middle of January so I think more time is needed before I will know if I am to lose any friendships.

However, and I am sure this doesnt apply to you because you sound very down to earth, but I used to have a friend who lost a significant amount of weight and went from obese to a healthy weight, she became such an awful person! We would go out shopping and she would say to me "you're honestly not telling me your THAT dress size are you?!" And other derogatory things which made me feel terrible about myself because I wasnt in the right place to tackle my weight at that time. It got so bad that I ended up phasing her out and now I dont see her any more. Like I said, I'm sure you havent gone to that extreme, but maybe you have changed a bit and your friends seem to have less in common with you than they did before? You are sure to have a few different interests etc to before
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    yup haters gonna hate LoL. Me and my wife are experiencing this with our friends. She has been told she is loosing too much weight and will look old which is bs she looks great. And my friends say i work out too much and im making them look bad haha!@ Honestly i love it- motivates me to get that extra rep up or run that extra few miles. Summertime is knockin and I have been working hard to feel confident about myself at the pool or beach. Its gonna be a great summer :-)

Really. Given that in general, the population is overweight, it's not even that hard to look good vs everyone else. If they have a problem with that then, they should get off their *kitten* and do something about it. (eat and excercise) It's not like you have to kill yourself in the gym or eat grass only in order to make improvements.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am getting this at the moment from work colleagues and to some extent my husband. My colleagues say my face is now looking too thin and i will start to look ill if i lose much more. However i still have fat in areas I don,t want it like my abs and thighs. I have worked very hard to get to where i am and i will know when to stop I dont want to lose much more just another 9lbs or so and then tone up. I dont know why they do it probaly because they are struggling to do it themselves. My husband thinks another 9lbs will be too much but i need to be happy with myself and i am doing this for me noone else.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I lost 18 lbs, I had a friend (who is overweight and out of shape) tell me that I looked really good. She said, "What did you do?" I told her, "diet and exercise." She claims that she doesn't like to watch what she eats and she hates to exercise. She acts like she is so much better than I am. Apparently, she doesn't mind being over weight and out of shape or she would try. I don't like counting calories and going without certain things. I try to like the exercises that I do. I know that I look alot better and feel better physically and mentally. I feel that some people have real issues with insecurities and the only way they can deal with them is to down other people. Sometimes you really find out who your friends are. It's kinda sad...
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    I had a friend who weighed 400ish pounds and then got gastric bypass surgery. She'd been overweight her entire life and the weight was finally coming off. She was really excited. A mutual friend, who was also very obese, told her to stop talking about it. Her excitement was never in excess, but just sort of a "I lost ___ pounds!" or "I was finally able to get into size ___ jeans!" I'm a big girl too and was really happy for her. However, that mutual friend thought she was rubbing it in our faces and my friend was taken aback by it. She seemed really hurt by the fact that her friend wasn't also excited about her weight loss.

However, I am aware of the shock of seeing someone being regularly plump and then seeing them after weight loss. It's the same shock as weight gain. It's hard to control, but the mind immediately thinks that only a week has passed since you last saw them and you think that their behavior has been drastic when it probably wasn't the case at all.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

Really. Given that in general, the population is overweight, it's not even that hard to look good vs everyone else. If they have a problem with that then, they should get off their *kitten* and do something about it. (eat and excercise) It's not like you have to kill yourself in the gym or eat grass only in order to make improvements.

@Jeff IM A FAN! lol agreed :) thank you!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I think fat women in particular are jealous. It's too "hard" to do anything about it and so they don't. It always seems to make someone uncomfortable when you change the status quo. Also, as in my case, I AM getting older and as an adult I have never been the weight I am today. I don't think 135 pounds at 5' 5 1/2 inches is too "skinny". Granted, I do believe I have lost muscle due to the aging process and because I have not taken the time to seriously do weight lifting. Nobody has seen me at this weight so I am obviously "too thin" or "small enough".

Bottom line women are jealous. Smokers don't want their smoker friends to quit. people don't like it that I am going towards vegan and eating lots of whole veggies. I get comments usually from fat people or the hamburger and french fry crowd about "how can you eat like that?" And they think we are fair game. How would they like it if we walked into a room and started pointing the finger at someone. One woman I know who says I am too tiny I could say, that as she is a diabetic "do you really think you should be eating those sweet rolls all the time. Ya know, I've never seen you without something in your mouth or a bag of chips in your hand. Every time I see you order food it is some kind of crap on a bun. Don't you ever eat veggies? Don't you think you should at least try to lose 50 - 100 pounds? Do you know what diabetes will do to you and IT WILL DO IT TO YOU!" How would they like it? I think people are insecure and they don't want us to change because as your friend says, it makes them look WORSE. Most people are overweight or obese. That is the statistics in America. What is it 60%? If losing weight and watching your health were easy, everyone would do it. They just want the immediate pay off of eating crap food when they see it because it is yummy! So were the collard greens, beans with nutritional yeast and strawberries I had for dessert for lunch just now!

Edit: My personal favorite statement is when they say "I'm healthy and happy at this weight." Seriously? No, you've accepted your "lot" and make the best of it by eating whatever makes you feel good while you scarf it down. Let's check back with you in 10 - 20 years and see how happy you are with your cholesterol readings, your diabetes, your heart disease, your arthritis and joint pain, and the specter of knee replacements, your not being able to do plain old things because you are just too fat and out of breath? Let us know how that is working for you.

Get new like minded friends. Send her a picture of you at Christmas in a sexy little black dress. She can look at it while she eats a box of Christmas cookies! = D
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If people insult you and try to drag you down, then they aren't your friends.
    Friends are people who support you and help you to achieve your goals, even when that may make them a little uncomfortable.
    Life is too short to associate with selfish people who try to bring you down to their level.
    I would tell her this, and ask her if she wants to be someone who supports you, and helps you to improve yourself and grow as a person, or stay so wrapped up in her own selfishness and failure that she can't even be happy for a friend who is working her *kitten* off to achieve her goals.

You may want to paraphrase that to be a little more tactful. I probably wouldn't :)

Just my 2c.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.jpg

Haters will continue to hate, but it's important to remember why you lost weight in the first place. Are you happy with your lifestyle choices? Are you happy with the results? Don't let people who can't make the changes necessary to do it themselves drag you down. People who behave in this manner are not true friends.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That's why I have very few close friends! Some people appear to be good friends when you're on their level, but when you start to excel at something or move on to the next phase of your life, they get jealous and try to bring you down. I've learned the HARD way to surround myself with people who will love and support me no matter what. Everyone else can kick rocks! :)
  • LETTYRP05
    LETTYRP05 Posts: 36
    Options
    WHAT A HATER

So, just a quick question to all the other MFPs out there....because its still bugging me!!!

I met up with a friend of mine at the show with our kids about 3 weeks ago (havent seen her for about 3months). The first thing she says to me, before she even says hi is, 'HOLY! Youre getting way too skinny! You need to start eating more! Seriosuly you're getting to look too skinny now, *blah, blah* You're making all us fat people look bad!"
    I was like, I do eat, I actually havent even really changed my eating habits, I just work out now.
    "well, youre starting to look gross"

I didnt know wether ot punch her in the nose and leave or to tell her "no, you fat people are making yourselves look bad" (which i would NEVER! but i did think about it). BUT i just let it roll off my back, like whatever....but im trying to figure out where shes comming from, my 1st thought is jealousy...but im not that vain really, then i think self hate, maybe? I'm definitly NOT 'skinny' my body is average, normal size. not extreme in either direction. i would actually like to lose another 10lbs.

I seem to be finding that i have less friends than i thought i did. why is it that when we decide to do something good to better ourselves, people around us cannot seem handle our successes? I litterally have lost 3 solid friendships since i started at the gym and quit smoking. It boggles my mind! Like come with me! lol

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.jpg

Haters will continue to hate, but it's important to remember why you lost weight in the first place. Are you happy with your lifestyle choices? Are you happy with the results? Don't let people who can't make the changes necessary to do it themselves drag you down. People who behave in this manner are not true friends.

Hee @ that picture!!! That cat looks like he was caught mid stretch
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    There is a thing about being too "skinny' (Which has never been my problem) however I think it is just a thing people say as they are somewhat shocked to see the weight loss.