Frustrations abound

Options
I am having some serious setbacks. I wasn't able to lose weight this week. Plus I just got back from the gym and was weighed and measured and my weight is up. Some is lean muscle mass but obv some is not.
I've been at this for a while. I take breaks every couple of months from strict dieting and exercising, and "cheat" now and again, but basically been at this my whole adult life minus the pregnant times.
I eat 5 meals, aiming for 250 calories a meal. When I kill it at the gym I eat a 6th meal. I eat lean protein, healthy fat and low simple carb. I eat fresh, healthy fruits and veggies that I prepare at home.
I work out 5-6 days a week for at least an hour, with a mix of cardio and weight training. I take a rest day every week.
I drink between 64-80 oz of water a day. I take supplements. I'm on thyroid medication and my levels are normal.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    take pictures and measurments. And it's only one week. Take a deep breath and give it a month.
  • doriefish1
    doriefish1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more calories in as you are only eating about 1200 a day. That is putting your boyd in starvation mode since you are also exercising. The foods you say you are eating sound good, but I think you just need more calorie intake.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Relax.
  • kimgettinfit
    kimgettinfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I do believe that you aren't eating enough calories...that is only 1250 a day....I used to eat around 1200 and thought that was recommended, however, I have done a lot of research and talked with several ppl on here who have tried both ways. The women have been getting killer results with eating higher calories. if you are working out that much and burning that many calories, your body needs more fuel for energy or else you will go into starvation mode and definitely won't lose weight. You will lose muscle but keep the fat...check out some groups on here about it. I am sure others will give you advice too and possibly their success stories, but I have upped my calories this past week and feel great! I am seeing results already!
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How long have you been experiencing this? If this is the first week, don't read into it too much. A quick heads-up - everyone is going to ask you to open up your diary, go ahead and do it. You can always shut it back down later.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    The answer is very simple - just reduce your CARBOHYDRATE intake. To 72 grams per day.

Read Dr. Lutz book "Life without bread."

Stop going to the gym - it's a total waste of time if your aim is to eliminate body fat.

There is no connection, at all, between exercise and body fat.

Simply set your daily carbohydrate intake at 72 grams per dat and totally relax! Read the book !
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???

Be patient and consistent. Use other means of tracking progress like the mirror and a tape measure, and how much weight you loaded on the bar today.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The answer is very simple - just reduce tour CARBOHYDRATE intake. To 72 grams per day.

Stop going to the gym - it's a total waste of time if your aim is to eliminate body fat.

THere is no connection at all between exercise and body fat. Simply set your daily carbohydrate intake at 72 grams per dat and totally relax! Read the book !

LOL. You win today's.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    Options
    The answer is very simple - just reduce your CARBOHYDRATE intake. To 72 grams per day.

Simply set your daily carbohydrate intake at 72 grams per dat and totally relax! Read the book !

Is this a serious post?
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options

\

The only carbs I eat are fruit and vegetable. I don't eat grains more than once a week or so.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am having some serious setbacks. I wasn't able to lose weight this week. Plus I just got back from the gym and was weighed and measured and my weight is up. Some is lean muscle mass but obv some is not.
    I eat 5 meals, aiming for 250 calories a meal. When I kill it at the gym I eat a 6th meal. I eat lean protein, healthy fat and low simple carb. I eat fresh, healthy fruits and veggies that I prepare at home.
    I work out 5-6 days a week for at least an hour, with a mix of cardio and weight training. I take a rest day every week.
    I drink between 64-80 oz of water a day. I take supplements. I'm on thyroid medication and my levels are normal.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism Check it out. Thyroid Medication and levels are normal? That doesn't mean the normal is YOUR normal.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    take pictures and measurments. And it's only one week. Take a deep breath and give it a month.

Not really jsut one week. It's been a struggle, up and down for the past 6 months or so with the same few lbs.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah... the main thing you have to do is chill out. It's just one week. If you're working out every day you're probably gaining muscle and losing fat, and you could probably stand to eat a few more calories.

Not for nothing, but acute stress, such as the kind you're exhibiting in your post, is associated with weight gain. :P

Not really jsut one week. It's been a struggle, up and down for the past 6 months or so with the same few lbs.
    Wait, what? Now I'm confused. You posted "wasn't able to lose weight this week."
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

:huh:

Please tell me you're joking...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

$10 says he's this "Dr. Lutz" character, and is pushing the book here. Any takers?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The answer is very simple - just reduce tour CARBOHYDRATE intake. To 72 grams per day.

THere is no connection at all between exercise and body fat. Simply set your daily carbohydrate intake at 72 grams per dat and totally relax! Read the book !

LOL. You win today's.

Darwin Award?
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bumping for ANY ideas which may help me- on thryoid meds myself :( not getting naywhere and gaining (levels "normal")
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on a reduced calorie diet?
  • onedayillbeamilf
    Options
    Yeah... the main thing you have to do is chill out. It's just one week. If you're working out every day you're probably gaining muscle and losing fat, and you could probably stand to eat a few more calories.

Not for nothing, but acute stress, such as the kind you're exhibiting in your post, is associated with weight gain. :P

Wait, what? Now I'm confused. You posted "wasn't able to lose weight this week."

Maybe she ate more than 72g of carbs today and got confused.