Belly Dancing

Options
chilli
chilli Posts: 211 Member
Anyone else out there attempt to do belly dancing? Been at it 17 months now and still as unco-ordinated as ever!
Would be nice to chat with someone else who does the same.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to try this! But I have no clue where I would go xD
    I think there is probably a club for it at my uni... hmm...
  • Mia627
    Mia627 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey there! Just joined this afternoon and saw your post. I belly danced for a few years! Love love LOVED it! I have such a unique bond with my belly dance girlfriends that come in all different shapes and sizes! :) I took a break to focus on school and my family but still dance for fun occasionaly!
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I took a class just before I moved but I hated looking at myself in the mirror, especially seeing how some people's coin belts actually made it all the way around their hips. Barely able to tie mine. For now at least :-)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've danced my entire life. Belly Dancing was very natural and I came by it easily. I feel the same about Zumba. I think it's something you have or you don't but that's not a reason to not do it - just as long as you are moving and having fun!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been taking classes off and on (mostly off) for the last six or seven years, up until about a year ago when I started taking them regularly. I've never been blessed with a particular amount of coordination, but lots and lots of practice does make up for it, and ends up being great cardio! A big mirror helps, but once you know you're doing it right, just drill until your muscles know what to do. Work on getting the movements down, and then start stringing them together.
  • chilli
    Options
    Hey there! Just joined this afternoon and saw your post. I belly danced for a few years! Love love LOVED it! I have such a unique bond with my belly dance girlfriends that come in all different shapes and sizes! :) I took a break to focus on school and my family but still dance for fun occasionaly!

Oh yes they sure do! Our class has the long and the short, large and skinny. I find not having big boobs annoying as i can't let them wobble, shoulder shimmies look daft on me as nothing seems to move up top. Should go braless i suppose, todays padded ones that i wear keep everything in, least without the armour plating they might move a little :laugh: I try to practise the moves at home but have the memory of a gnat ...five mins out of the class and all moves forgotten. My aim is to actually learn a simple routine and then maybe, just maybe pluck up the courage to dance with the others at one of the Haflas.:bigsmile:
  • chilli
    Options
    I've been taking classes off and on (mostly off) for the last six or seven years, up until about a year ago when I started taking them regularly. I've never been blessed with a particular amount of coordination, but lots and lots of practice does make up for it, and ends up being great cardio! A big mirror helps, but once you know you're doing it right, just drill until your muscles know what to do. Work on getting the movements down, and then start stringing them together.

Watching myself in the mirror is not a nice sight ! Stiff and robotic .....but still the clothes can look good if nothing else!