Am I doing this right?

Options
I currently weight 292 and I'm 5'-4" tall. I work sitting at a desk all day.

MFP says I should eat 2030 calories per day to lose a pound a week.

I've been going to the gym and doing 60 minutes at 5 days a week.

I'm wondering - with the goal of 124lbs to lose should I eat my exercise calories back?

19372015.png

Replies

• gsutphen
    gsutphen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I know how you feel. I'm suppose to eat just about the same. I started last week, and weighed in the AM and lost 4 lbs. They do say if you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode, so eating the amount of calories is what you should do.

Believe me, i wouldn't believe it worked unless I say it myself the AM.

I only hit the gym two times a week, as I'm taken home courses and have to dedicate my time to that. My job is a secretary in an Elementary School. I do sit a good amount, but not all day. I'm up and down through out the day.

Wish you luck. Friend me if you would like someone to be by your side.

Best of luck
    Gail
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    Thanks. Will do. I just worried weather or not I can do this. Tom is visting this week and I'm feeling down.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I had around that many when I started too. I'm sure people will tell you that you should be eating your exercise calories back, but it's very difficult to do that while eating healthy and being allowed over 2000 daily already.
    I eat my cals back if I'm hungry- and I stop eating when I'm full. I'll have a snack if I want to, but I'm not filling up on crap. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    Updated my profile with new data and going to give the new calorie count a try.

19372015.png
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering - with the goal of 124lbs to lose should I eat my exercise calories back?

With 124 left to go, it's a little more optional, but I recommend it anyway. Set a pace you think you can maintain and try to lose weight at that pace. Taking the opportunity early to learn to control your weight loss means that, as you approach your goal, you have the tools to continue losing weight. Then, when you reach your goal, the transition from "weight loss" to "healthy eating for maintenance for the rest of your life" is really easy.

If you lose weight TOO fast, you'll probably end up being hungry a lot which increases your risk of cheating or making bad food decisions. You won't be giving your body the tools it needs to build muscle, which you'll need later to burn off those last few pounds. And you'll probably start getting tired as your metabolism starts to wane off a bit, and you'll find burning calories all the much harder. You can lose weight this way (I've done it), but you end up "skinny fat" at the end, with not enough muscle to keep the weight off.

What's your primary goal? To lose weight or to become healthy?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Also, as someone mentioned earlier, eating a balanced intake of fats/carbs/proteins means it's going to be harder to eat all your exercise calories, but it's also a lot easier on your body NOT to eat all of them if you are eating a balanced diet and giving your body good food.
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    thanks!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    At 292, honestly I don't think it will matter much if you eat your exercise cals back or not. At higher weights, you can eat at more of a deficit quite successfully. You can also drop more lbs per week safely than lower weight people can - in fact a lot of medical professionals would probably say you should be aiming for more than 2lb a week loss.

If you're not hungry and your food and exercise regime feels comfortable and sustainable, and you're losing on it, then my advice would be just keep on doing what you're doing and don't sweat the details.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    I eat them some weeks, and some weeks I don't. I usually lose either way. If you aren't hungry, I don't think you should eat them back. Do eat your minimum though. Hopefully that helps :)
  • Jennas2012
    Jennas2012 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't usually eat mt calories back, but I don't excersise till evening.that way if i go over them I just have burn them off. Good luck and keep up the good work !