Anyone start running in their 50's???

Options
2»

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fantastic stories!!! All of you are amazing!!! I wish I had time to reply to each of you!!! I will definitely encourage my mom to do this!!!
  • indy_jh
    indy_jh Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm 52, and I am a life-long runner -- to some extent. (No, I didn't just start recently, but let me explain why my advice is still valid...)

First, shoes are important, but I have 3 completely different types that I use for different circumstances. One set is for "toe striking" -- shorter distances where I run mostly on my toes with my heels only striking gently as I press down. Another pair I use for trail or grass running. They are stable with bigger soles and more support. I can land on my heels on these, and it doesn't hurt at all. The last pair are for working out with ankle weights and a slow jog. (I use ankle weights for strength training only.)

Second, start SLOWLY!!! The C25k is a good program. There are others. Walk then jog then walk then jog can be done for several months, and I STILL do that sometimes. (I sprint for 400 meters and walk about 50, over an over even now.)

Third, don't expect too much. My body doesn't recover like it used to when I was young. That sucks. But, it is what it is... Just enjoy it. If it hurts too much, you need to back off. Enjoy your pace, don't let your breathing and heart rate get too high. In fact, a longer run with a slightly higher breathing and heart rate is ACTUALLY BETTER for you.

Lastly, alternate between some toe (ball) striking (with a slightly pointed toe running style) and a gentle heel-striking style (where you feel like you're skating and barely raising your legs. This will exercise more muscles and allow you to run longer without overly fatiguing specific muscles.

Good luck!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing the Couch to 5K program. I did Run Double on my Android phone cheap and serviceable. Not too many bells or whistles. In the past I'd always gotten bad knees from running. So far knock wood I've been feeling good. I also got the Chi Running DVD from the library and have been trying to follow his advise. I just turned 51 in March.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I tried running in college and hated it. So my new motto for 30 years was I would run if I was on fire. Kept that up until I went to a boot camp 5 years ago at the age of 50 and they made me start running. I was sure I would hate it. My husband is a runner, my son was captain of his high school cross-country team. If they couldn't get me to run, why would boot camp?

Not sure how, but I started running and LIKED it. Was doing great but the advice for Mom to take it slow is spot on. I have a Type A competitive personality and started competing with my own times a little too much. When I got a medal in a 5k it just added fuel to the fire and I ended up with an overuse injury (torn peroneal tendon and stress fracture) and got rewarded with a little ankle surgery. I read Born to Run while recovering, changed my shoes (had way too much heel and wasn't feeling that heel striking) and my stride and after rehab started back in slowly.

A year later and just shy of turning 55, I am up to 22 miles a week (long run is up to 8 miles now) and running sub one hour 10Ks in training (hoping to do it in my first 10K race soon) and working on my goal of a 27-minute 5K. So again, slow and steady and listen to the body. Tell her to have fun and Run, Mom, Run!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    More great advice!!! I think I may just have her read this thread!

laureltn....running only if you were on fire, that sounds like something my mom would say!
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I now unabashedly admit I run races with good (or pretty) shirts. It is all about the fashion statement, you know. Seriously, some of the runs are so fun -- music, cheering crowds. Our absolute favorite is the Bier Run in Germantown in Nashville in October. It was my PR last fall and I hope to kill it this fall since I'm significantly lighter. We run the Rudolph (beware of reindeer losing jingle bell bombs in your path) and the Firecracker and the Race Across the Spectrum, etc.

Find a fun run, one with costumes, a good cause, bands, or whatever else tickled her fancy and get her doing the couch to 5k. Hopefully she'll be hooked!
  • DigDougOK
    DigDougOK Posts: 20
    Options
    Wearing good shoes is VERY important. If you don't have any I strongly suggest you get some, as I think that will help the shin splints. Good luck!

Yes, before I started I went to the running store and they fitted me. Had me run on the treadmill and all that to get the correct shoes. I even took the first ones back and got a different brand and it's the same. I'm pretty frustrated with it all, I just want to be able to work up to running a 5K at some point.

Do you have the opportunity to run off road? I do most of my running on a dirt road and my shins don't bother me like they did on the asphalt. ...just thoughts I think if it does keep up you might want to see the doctor. Shin splints are unusual, but you should be able to move past them at some point.

It took me a long time to get past shin splints. I too had good shoes and did icing and all that but shin splints still derailed me. As noted in my own comment, I had to cut the c25k run times back to 30 and even 15 seconds and I eventually had success. I also run mostly on trails and recommend trail running as it provides a nice soft surface. But do take care, uneven and rocky or rooty trails can be even worse on shins. Dirt roads are great and probably the best for a beginner, but I love trails. It often takes us "seasoned" folk a little more effort to get going, but running is really worth the effort it takes to get started.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try running less than 60 seconds and see if that helps. Also I run in 3 different places, but two are all asphalt and one is a mixture of asphalt/chat. I'll also try to find a place that has a softer surface and try that. I already signed up for a 5K run, it's one of my goals for this year. It's not till November so hopefully I will have it all sorted out by then.
  • debaof
    debaof Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch.. I was having the same problem and started doing stretches for shins, calves and thighs. It made a huge difference and no more shin splints
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    All of this is great advice and I can only repeat. it is so important to wear good running shoes and get into the habit of stretching. It would be such a wonderful experience for your mom. I started lightly running in my 40's just to keep the weight down. At 49 I was motivated to run my first marathon. I just turned 60 a few months ago. I run one marathon a year and at least 5 or 6 half marathons and a few shorter races. My speed was never very good and didn't improve much, lol but I love running. And the people I meet no matter how good they are are always so encouraging. Its a great time for your mom to start!!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and haven't ran since I was 18. I walk and hike all the time and lately walking doesn't seem to be enough so I jog part way or do sprints on treadmill.

I am not caring if I do more or less just loving moving. Feel great! I also do nia dance twice a week and swim.