Any big meat eaters give up red meat or pork?

Options
Fieldsy
Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
I'm hoping to not start an argument over this. I love to eat all kinds of animals. I'm just curious to hear from some people who have given up red meat and/or pork. I hear that pork is good for you, and also hear it is bad. I also hear it is red meat, but some people disagree.

I'm looking to hear from personal experiences. What kind of meats did you give up and how did it make you feel?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,014 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's a moot point if your a meat eater. Personally I've reduced my red meat intake over the last 10 years, and have upped my fish mostly. I've also switched from beef to mostly lamb and goat for my red meat. I'm not sure what kind of difference your looking for. The difference for me was when I changed my lifestyle regarding eating to a more natural and less processed one. I do believe the big increase in fish consumption coupled witha drastic decrease in most processed food changed the way I ate and how I felt after eating, and the satiating effect this had on me in general. Personally I think most people will see a more drastic change from consuming more natural foods regardless if it's red meat, fish, veg etc.

The arguement to reduce red meat is generlaly based on bad data, but regardless the amount of red meat consumption in the USA has drastically come down only to be replaced by chicken, which I don't think is better in the least. Both are fine when selected properly and why I said it's a moot point.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up, but I have been thinking seriously about it for ethical reasons.

I personally don't think it is necessarily good or bad for you, when eaten in moderation (whatever that means). I don't think there is any science that does a really good job of backing up claims on either sides, but I would be lying if I said the claims made and evidence shown on the side that supports not eating meat (or red meat in particular) is a little more convincing to me.

Again, that is my opinion. I take a cautionary approach to my diet and skeptical approach to all nutrition research. Which leaves me where I am now.

I think if you are going to still eat other meat, you probably won't notice too much of a difference in how you feel physically.

Can I ask why you might be considering this? For ethical, health, or some other reason?
  • uidape
    uidape Posts: 3
    Options
    I converted to Islam about 2 years go and gave up eating pork. Most of the things I loved like pepperoni and bacon you can find in turkey or beef.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    No reason to give it up IMHO. I just eat leaner cuts.

edit to say, I think my results are speaking for themselves.

If you want a moral discussion, I have no interest in that.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten red meat now for going on two weeks. I was having some digestion problems and was trying to pinpoint what was causing it.
    So far no digestion problems, cravings are not too bad. Yet...lol! I have been trying to eat more fish and chicken for now.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We pretty much gave up red meat (unless we're at a restaurant). It wasn't so much because of "good" or "bad" but because of the calories. We pretty much only have ground turkey, chicken breasts and ground chicken.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Im just curious for overall health. I want to feel as best as I can. I really dont eat a lot of red meat right now.

It doesnt have to do with morals at all.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine why I would ever give up any sort of meat which I enjoy eating. Had about 105 grams of strip steak for my mid-morning meal today, 125 grams of ham for lunch and will be having either bacon or hot links with scrambled eggs for dinner tonight.

I am a big fan of animal protein and fat.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Nope im a meat eater, i drop carbs, i follow Paleo style, i eat red meats, lean pork, etc-Ty red meat yes has saturated fats but its grass fed free range animals, redmeat has creatine, cla etc...... no need for suplementation
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    BACON, is that a red meat?

I believe meats are bad if they are grilled or made for long term storage (nitrates and carcinogens)
    I was a veggie for a while.

Now I'm a chicken most days and red meat and fish every once in awhile.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have red meat/beef once in a blue moon, mainly because I have IBS and have found that it is better without beef. Pork is the other main meat I have next to chicken. Adore pork and chicken and it doesn't upset my stomach. I find that choosing what meat to give up or eat or not to eat meat is such a personal choice and you should choose for personal reasons and not because someone is pressurising you.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for pork but I eat it occasionally (not too often), and I don't eat lamb because I don’t like the taste. I do eat red meat in moderation. Some time once a week, sometimes once or twice a month.

I am finding chicken boring but it is a good source of protein. I have been making skinless and boneless thighs because I am tired of chicken breast. I do eat fish (salmon, tilapia, cod, hake, etc.) several times a week.

No moral grounds for me not to eat meat.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I was omnivorous, I gave up eating red meat because I found it hard to digest. I didn't feel good when I ate it. You could always give it a try and see how it feels. If you don't notice a difference, then just keep doing what you're doing.

It's funny how defensive people get when they assume anything about giving up meat has to do with ethics, haha
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You will have to pry my steak and pork out of my cold, dead hands!

I don't do the red meat that often but will do pork a lot. I just can't not eat meat.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any red meat completely.......I have cut down a bit though and swapped it for more fish and turkey.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had issue with digestion, when I was trying to figure out what was causing my problems I found a meat free diet pretty much fixed me. So gave up all meats except for fish for a year to give my body time to heal whatever was going on.

Now I eat meat again on occasion, but usually eat red meat less than once a week, and chicken 1-2 times a week.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had issue with digestion, when I was trying to figure out what was causing my problems I found a meat free diet pretty much fixed me. So gave up all meats except for fish for a year to give my body time to heal whatever was going on.

Now I eat meat again on occasion, but usually eat red meat less than once a week, and chicken 1-2 times a week.

That's pretty much my story as well. I have low stomach acid so I occasionally have beef but only in small amounts. Normally, I'll do beef once or twice a week max. I don't really care for pork so it was easy to cut out altogether.

Eventually, I am going to cut meat out all together when I learn enough bean recipes to get adequate protein.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    bump