When do you start to lose the llbs with weights?

Options

Replies

• brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting, indeed exercise, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on body fat loss.

This is simply not true.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting, indeed exercise, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on body fat loss.

the one and only way to lose body fat, is to slash your carbohydrate intake (to about 72 grams carbohydrate per day), and then restrict your caloric intake to a reasonable amount.

If you exercise, you will simply eat a little more, and you'll end up with exactly the same "Calorie difference" that day.

Regarding weightlifting to add muscle. Adding muscle has no connection, whatsoever, to your body fat. You could be "fat as a pig" but develop huge muscles. There is no connection between the two, at all.

To lose body fat: eat a modest caloric deficit. That's it. It's just that simple.

Weightlifting is totally unrelated and has utterly no connection to fat loss.

To lose fat very quickly and easily, slash your carbohydrate intake TODAY, and have a calorie deficit every day! it's very easy, fortunately!

I eat around twice that many grams of carbs and I'm still losing fat...?
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

the one and only way to lose body fat, is to slash your carbohydrate intake (to about 72 grams carbohydrate per day), and then restrict your caloric intake to a reasonable amount.

If you exercise, you will simply eat a little more, and you'll end up with exactly the same "Calorie difference" that day.

Regarding weightlifting to add muscle. Adding muscle has no connection, whatsoever, to your body fat. You could be "fat as a pig" but develop huge muscles. There is no connection between the two, at all.

To lose body fat: eat a modest caloric deficit. That's it. It's just that simple.

To lose fat very quickly and easily, slash your carbohydrate intake TODAY, and have a calorie deficit every day! it's very easy, fortunately!

I eat around twice that many grams of carbs and I'm still losing fat...?

Going low-carb isn't necessary to lose body fat.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have recently read two articles about lifting for women and both said to do fewer reps and more sets. I'm doing 6x5s with the most weight I can manage. After 4 weeks of that I'm switching to 4 weeks of 10x5s -- only 5 reps, but 10 sets -- again with as much weight as I can manage. By the time I done with the 10x5s, I should be finished reading NROLFW and ready to start that.

The NROLFW follows a similar theory. They frown at people who use small weights and do high reps. Those exercises do nothing to challenge your muscles, so your muscles are not going to change in response.

5x5 would be a more successful routine...simply due to the fact that any weight you can lift 5x over 10 sets...isn't going to be very challenging either.

I'm sorry, but this is silly...and I'm not a big fan of carbs in general myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Maybe not on Body fat, but plays a huge roll in BF%, as without strength training you will lose more lean muscle then with it meaning that at the same weight someone that does strength training would have a lower BF%, all else being equal.

Enough with the bro-science please. Carbohydrates have nothing to do with body fat. If you cut carbs but your caloric intake stays the same your body wouldn't lose anymore fat. the scale may be lower as you will retain less water due to lower glycogen stores, but that has nothing to do with the amount of fat on your body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating right. If you aren't seeing the results you want, either adjust your expectations, or clean up your diet.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Someone said "Carbohydrates have nothing to do with body fat."....

Body fat is impossibly simple:

(1) When you ingest carbohydrates,

(2) It makes your pancreas generate insulin,

(3) insulin causes glycerides in your blood to form in to triglycerides inside your fat cells

that's just all there is to it.

There is absolutely nothing else.

It is unbelievably simple.

There is no other mechanism - nothing - utterly nothing, else, whatsoever, is involved in body fat. (ie, adipose tissue)

It's just that simple. To repeat,

(1) When you INGEST carbohydrates,

(2) It makes your pancreas GENERATE insulin,

(3) insulin causes glycerides in your blood to FORM in to triglycerides inside your fat cells

("triglycerides inside your fat cells" is "body fat" .. the chubby stuff you feel.)

There is nothing else to it - absolutely nothing else, no other mechanism involved.

there is absolutely, whatsoever, nothing else - at all - involved.

Ingesting carbohydrates, causes you pancreas to create insulin, insulin causes your fat cells to add fat.

End of story.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Someone said ... "I eat around twice that many grams of carbs and I'm still losing fat...?"

It's true, you can. But it's incredibly difficult.

I suggest, for merely two weeks, you just set your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day - exactly. See what happens.

It is an extremely simple test to try.

The first few days can be little difficult, because most people are hugely addicted to carbohydrates, but it gets much easier. And after as little as a few weeks, your pancreas begins to heal itself. After that. it's a pure breeze - you will have no DESIRE to eat more carbohydrates than that. And body fat will just fall off your body.

The one and ONLY way to know if it's "true or not" if you don't believe the science, is simply try it. It's extremely easy to try, and only takes 2 or 3 weeks!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose weight you're better off doing more cardio. weights help to tone up, but it's better to lose the excess fat first before you try to tone up. also, measuring yourself is a lot better than weighing as muscle weighs more than fat so you may think you've put on weight when you probably haven't.

so much wrong here....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options

(3) insulin causes glycerides in your blood to form in to triglycerides inside your fat cells

There is no other mechanism - nothing - utterly nothing, else, whatsoever, is involved in body fat. (ie, adipose tissue)

(3) insulin causes glycerides in your blood to FORM in to triglycerides inside your fat cells

("triglycerides inside your fat cells" is "body fat" .. the chubby stuff you feel.)

There is nothing else to it - absolutely nothing else, no other mechanism involved.

Ingesting carbohydrates, causes you pancreas to create insulin, insulin causes your fat cells to add fat.

End of story.
    So you can't get fat eating surplus of protein and fats? If you can, then the story continues..............:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read this entire thread yet, but just want to chime in and mention that it's not a good idea to drastically increase to heavier weight. It should be done in gradual increments over a period of time to avoid injury.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

End of story.
    So you can't get fat eating surplus of protein and fats? If you can, then the story continues..............:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes this. There is not sufficient time to deal with the over simplified physiology, but that question gets to the heart of the biochemical diatribe in my head :).

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Since lifting weights will either help you gain / maintain muscle mass, the weight loss might be slower. vs losing fat AND muscle.

The OP should be more interested in the loss of inches off the waist. Probably more of a relavent measure her.

Who cares what you weigh if the inches come off?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read this entire thread yet, but just want to chime in and mention that it's not a good idea to drastically increase to heavier weight. It should be done in gradual increments over a period of time to avoid injury.

Sort of.

What's heavy to you...probably isn't to me (assuming you're female from your screen name). If I'm doing dumbbell shoulder presses with 55lbs, and you try with 55lbs, you're going to rip your shoulders out of the sockets...if you could even get the weights up. When I took my ex girlfriend to the gym for her first attempts at lifting weights...she was only capable of doing shoulder presses with 15lb weights. Trust me, she was putting every ounce of effort into her 15lb lifts, that I do my 55lb lifts.

This, to her...was lifting heavy...and she was getting all the benifits from her 15lbs, that I do from my 55's.

With proper form, and stretching before working out (as EVERYONE should), her risk of injury was no more than mine.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Someone said ... "I eat around twice that many grams of carbs and I'm still losing fat...?"

I suggest, for merely two weeks, you just set your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day - exactly. See what happens.

The first few days can be little difficult, because most people are hugely addicted to carbohydrates, but it gets much easier. And after as little as a few weeks, your pancreas begins to heal itself. After that. it's a pure breeze - you will have no DESIRE to eat more carbohydrates than that. And body fat will just fall off your body.

The one and ONLY way to know if it's "true or not" if you don't believe the science, is simply try it. It's extremely easy to try, and only takes 2 or 3 weeks!

Too much bro science :p Oh btw, if you eat those precise 72g at 10:43 pm, with a leg wrapped in bacon it's even MORE efficient! Crazy weight loss!

Find me even one published, peer reviewed article that backs anything you wrote in this thread :p Hint : It doesn't exist.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC333231/pdf/jcinvest00645-0194.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12684364

The systematic review of over 107 articles on weight loss evaluation a low carbs diet found NO link between low carbs and weight loss any stronger than the general caloric deficit that is induced by those diets in general. Read them, they are both free, you might even learn something!

Enjoy :p
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    While it's not peer-reviewed, the famous Twinkie diet kinda throws your theory out the window too.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Carbs galore!
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I'm the one who said that. And it's really not that difficult, I promise I'm not doing some sort of magic so that I can eat more carbs. Plenty of people lose fat with carbs! Bodybuilders, athletes, and normal people like me.

I HAVE tried low-carb diets - I hated them and while I lost plenty of water weight my body did not look significantly different. I was a pretty mean person for a few weeks though.

Unless one has a medical insensitivity to carbs, eating whole, healthy carbs will not hinder fat loss.