Confused about carb, fat, protein ratios

Options
2»

Replies

• ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Where are you all getting this information supporting high protein diets? Most Americans, besides bodybuilders (NOT people simply looking to build some muscle) get more than enough protein in their diets. It's about choosing lean sources rather than increasing the amount consumed. It's your choice what you want to do, and some people find eating more protein curbs their appetite, but other than that there's not much benefit to consuming more, while conversely, its quite beneficial to consume more fruits/veggies/whole grains.I would wonder if people would get enough vitamins and minerals in their diet with very higher protein diets. MFP's ratio is in line with the latest nutrition research from established scientific research.

Well I have my protein set at 30% right now, and sometimes go over. But I also eat quite a few veggies and fruits... I love them... Hence my profile picture lol and i know I'm getting my vitamins and minerals. I have studied nutrition quite extensively and I am considering it for a future career. I've read many credible sources that state 1 gram of protein per lean body mass will HELP prevent loss of muscle tissue when in a calorie deficit.. If you don't know your lbm it's fine to eat 1 gram per lb of body weight as well. I do NOT advocate low carb eating, but rather getting your carbohydrates from nutrient dense sources. Everyone's opinion is different in the matter, but overall the healthiest diet is the one you can stick with and that usually means balanced macros with nutrient dense food, and in my case at LEAST 30 % of my diet coming from protein, especially poultry, eggs and fish.
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Where are you all getting this information supporting high protein diets? Most Americans, besides bodybuilders (NOT people simply looking to build some muscle) get more than enough protein in their diets. It's about choosing lean sources rather than increasing the amount consumed. It's your choice what you want to do, and some people find eating more protein curbs their appetite, but other than that there's not much benefit to consuming more, while conversely, its quite beneficial to consume more fruits/veggies/whole grains.I would wonder if people would get enough vitamins and minerals in their diet with very higher protein diets. MFP's ratio is in line with the latest nutrition research from established scientific research.

I've seen several posts about eating more protein here on MFP which is why I started questioning. I'll probably stick with what MFP has set up for me as long as I'm seeing results. Personally, my goal is to eat lean meats, complex carbs and lots of fruit and vegetables stay under my calories (net) for the day. There is still some junk in my diet but not a whole lot.
  • Briaboo4
    Options
    I think MFP's ratios are fine and don't need to be messed with unless you have some specific dietary need.

This sounds good to me. Honestly, I only asked about macros because they're brought up quite frequently so I wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing anything.
  • Randomcheese
    Randomcheese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Started tracking my food intake about three months ago. I've concentrated on limiting my calorie intake and being brutally honest about it in my tracking log. I occasionally glance at the ratios thing on my phone and often worry about the amount of sodium I'm consuming, but since I've lost about 5 lbs/month by just limiting intake, I'm not going to worry about any of the other stuff until I have to.

I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't over-complicate the process. you're just starting out, aim for one target at a time.
  • TreyT3
    TreyT3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What I tell people, and what I did myself, is go talk to your doctor about it and tell your doctor everything that you are thinking as far as diet and exercise. It is the safest way to get results because they know your medical history and any factors that you need to figure into your diet equation, and is one more layer of accountability.

I use almost the exact 50p, 30c, 20f ratio that @thistimeismytime uses, but agree with @slkehl that fruits, veggies, and whole grains are important which is why I try to eat some everyday, and should eat more than I do. Ultimately everyone is different and has had success in many different ways, so your going to get a million different ways to go about it.
  • Briaboo4
    Options
    Ultimately everyone is different and has had success in many different ways, so your going to get a million different ways to go about it.

Isn't that the truth!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at the beginning, I did not worry about anything other than the calorie number. Once I got that part down, I moved on to the macros.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ultimately everyone is different and has had success in many different ways, so your going to get a million different ways to go about it.

Isn't that the truth!

Truth!!! Find what you can maintain long-term.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I agree that you are going to get a lot of opinions. From everything I've read, protein and fat are essential macros while carbs are not. I have my protein set to 30% and fat to 30%. I find that when I am close to my protein number, the rest tends to fall in line. I don't fear fat, I just stick with the healthy dietary fats as much as possible.

There are a lot of benefits to getting enough protein, especially if you are doing any kind of strength training as it helps with muscle repair.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I picked up a nice median for mine: 50/30/20 (carbs, protein, fat)
  • Michaelbrown99
    Options
    Excellent resource! Thank you!