Cardio or Lifting???

Options
I have a question. I've often been told that weight lifting burns more fat/calories than cardio. I thought this was the same (burning a calorie is burning a calorie no matter how you do it). I have been told this is because after a cardio workout, you're only burning calories for another 25-30 minutes and with weights you continue to burn for up to 24 hours because your body is repairing muscles. In addition, I understand that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body is burning in general. Is there truth to what I have stated?

When I go to the gym I have been doing my cardio first (30 minutes on treadmill) then I lift for 45-60 minutes most of the time. Occasionally, I throw in some circuit training to keep it interesting. Someone told me I should only be doing about a 10 minute cardio warm-up for my muscles then go do my lifting AND after lifting, go back to cardio. :noway: I have never heard that before. Can someone enlighten me on what I have written here and explain the order things should be going in?

My primary goal is weightloss but I want to gain a lot of muscle mass in the process. I don't care what the number on the scale is. I want to see the difference in inches. I hate cardio and I love weights. What order should I be doing this in? Should I be more focused on cardio, weights or doing them evenly? Thanks!

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think what you have said is true - it is in line with what I have read.

I'm currently doing the chalean extreme programme and she recommends weight training for burning fat - with some smaller amounts of cardio (but I like cardio so I do more AFTER my lifting)

If you hate cardio stick to lifting, the best exercise is the one you like and stick to!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    To maximize your energy utilization, lift first then cardio. A 10 min cardio warmup is fine. The reason you want to do this is because you need glycogen for ATP/CP work. If you use the glycogen for cardio, then your lifting will suffer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    To maximize your energy utilization, lift first then cardio. A 10 min cardio warmup is fine. The reason you want to do this is because you need glycogen for ATP/CP work. If you use the glycogen for cardio, then your lifting will suffer.

IDEA Fitness member

What type of workouts would you recommend for the goals I have listed?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Bunch of stuff here.

Your primary goal is weightloss. The ONLY thing that will drive your weight loss is diet. Eat in a calorie deficit over time, and you will lose weight.

Lifting weights and eating sufficient protein will ensure that the weight you lose is primarily fat, and not muscle. Very overweight people and beginners are often able to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, but don't count on it. In this stage, you should be striving to lose fat and maintain muscle.

Now, lifting vs. cardio. It's not like one is better than the other. Lifting properly will help you build STRENGTH. If you're in a surplus, you will also build lean mass. Lifting is awesome and everybody should do it starting last Thursday.

Cardio will work your cardiovascular system. Many people consider it optional, but my opinion is that you should do cardio 2-3x/week for optimal health (and besides, it will help if you ever need to run from zombies or police).

I also find that my performance is best when I do lifting and cardio on separate days. It also avoids the whole which one to do before or after debate.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Simple, cardio burns calories for the duration of the session, building lean muscle is metabollic and creates an afterburn and burns calories around the clock with the release of growth hormone to do all the tissue repair etc hense buring more calories, you can burn more calories hense more fat doing resistence training, too much cardio and put you in a catabolic state(eats lean muscle for fuel) i.e a long distance runner beside a sprinter*notice total different body compositions* cardio should be done after weights once glycogen has been depleted from the muscles the body will switch over to fatty acid oxidation (using fat for fuel) instead-Ty
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Bunch of stuff here.

Your primary goal is weightloss. The ONLY thing that will drive your weight loss is diet. Eat in a calorie deficit over time, and you will lose weight.

Lifting weights and eating sufficient protein will ensure that the weight you lose is primarily fat, and not muscle. Very overweight people and beginners are often able to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, but don't count on it. In this stage, you should be striving to lose fat and maintain muscle.

Now, lifting vs. cardio. It's not like one is better than the other. Lifting properly will help you build STRENGTH. If you're in a surplus, you will also build lean mass. Lifting is awesome and everybody should do it starting last Thursday.

Cardio will work your cardiovascular system. Many people consider it optional, but my opinion is that you should do cardio 2-3x/week for optimal health (and besides, it will help if you ever need to run from zombies or police).

I also find that my performance is best when I do lifting and cardio on separate days. It also avoids the whole which one to do before or after debate.

taso said everything that I was going to.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    You can turn your resistence program into a cardio regieme simply by less rest periods, quicker tempo lighter weight , higheer reps and run circuits, 2 birds with one stone, amazing how most think traditonal cardio on dreadmills and Elipticals.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You can turn your resistence program into a cardio regieme simply by less rest periods, quicker tempo lighter weight , higheer reps and run circuits, 2 birds with one stone, amazing how most think traditonal cardio on dreadmills and Elipticals.

That was sort of how this all started because I hate cardio with every fiber of my being but figured it was required for weight loss.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There is no need to do any cardio at all unless you want atheletic performance increases.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I know that sounds logical, but I think that, in reality the vast majority of people have plenty of reserves to lift strongly after doing quite a bit of cardio. I also think you can train your body to perform well under a variety of conditions.

I am going to break my rule about using personal anecdotes, but I never had a problem lifting heavy after long, intense cardio sessions. I have set 1 RM PBs for bench press and leg press after during a high-intensity steady state workout on a cross trainer, followed by 30 minutes runnng on a treadmill (then the weights). I have also done a number of strength training workouts with just a brief (10 min) cardio warm up and, while I felt I had a little more energy, saw absolutely no difference in performance (lifting in a 4-8 RM range).
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Both. . . . plus diet.

I'm not an expert, just a normal person trying hard to get into shape and live healthier. Here's what I'm doing. To begin, I'm trying to lose 50-70 pounds, I work a 50hour per week job, married with a teenager starting college in the fall. That being said, here's my plan:

Diet -- trying hard to stay less than 2000 calories per day while making sure I eat three meals a day (I never used to eat breakfast). Taking the low fat route.

Exercise -- I do both cardio & weights. Like you, I love weights and not cardio. I guess because it's boring so I try to do different things. One day I'll do elliptical, next bike, next both. I stay off of the treadmill because I have sciatic nerve problems and the pounding makes it worse.

With weights, I'm going for more all around stuff so more like circuit training. I try to do nine different weight exercises and three ab only exercises when I go to the gym. I always finish with 30 to 60 minutes of cardio. I go to the gym three times per week. I also try to do one or two days on my stationary bike at home and I try to have one or two rest days per week (I'm old, lol). I try to do three sets of 10 reps each and I have been increasing my weights.

That's what I've been doing and so far, I can actually SEE the changes and my clothes fit so differently. It's a great feeling. I'm three months in and, well, it is a lifestyle change and it does not happen overnight so, keep working at it. Find out what works for you and what shows results. With a few little victories you'll be looking forward to getting to the gym.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    Cardio after weights! Cardio will hinder your lifting, but not the other way around! If you really want to warm up though maybe stick to a walk? Idk I usually just dive into my lifting and I haven't had any problems with it
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I do this quite a lot and just walk and watch food. I get a great heart rate jump resting little while I lift!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I separate both completely, resistance training at the gym, cardio on the treadmill at home
  • xbabyblueyez21x
    Options
    I workout with a personal trainer and I was told to do strength training first and then cardio for many of the reasons others have stated...more energy to do your strength training if you do it first and also while strength training you burn off something(sugars or something like that...sorry I can't remember right now) so when you do your cardio after you start burning fat right away instead of having to burn this stuff off first. On my strength training days I do cardio for 30mins after and keep my heart rate at about 80% and on non-strength training days my cardio is for 60 mins with my heart rate at 80%. Hope this helps.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    Just do both. The traditional "go to" formula is the Mon Wed Fri (Strength training) and Tue Thu Sat (Cardio). Works for me. I do stuff like P90X on MWF, and do Insanity and/or running on TRS.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I primarily lift. Some cardio 2 days a week (now, it's mostly outdoor walking; 30 mins of spinning perhaps) Lifting 3 days. 2 days of rest (may take a moderate walk in the park on rest days). I warm up for about 5 minutes on the elliptical before lifting. For me, if you are lifting heavy and putting in the intensity - you have no energy to do cardio after. I actually don't groove on cardio - boring. So ... my workouts are heavy lifting with some cardio sprinkled in. I"m getting the results I want. And yes, I"m fit without the intense cardio - resting heart rate is 48 : )

Jen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJen
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

I do this quite a lot and just walk and watch food. I get a great heart rate jump resting little while I lift!

EXACTLY ! I do the same .... except I lift HEAVY
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents:

Cardio- do HIIT instead of killin yourself for epic time on the treadmill or whatevs.
    Lifting: lift heavy and make it count.

Here's my ideal plan:

Mon/Wed/Fri: Go to gym, treadmill for 5-10 mins to warm up. Do all of the following lifts 3x5 at 50% max weight and then 3x5 at 80% max weight: squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Military press, overhead press, row. Kick in some chinup/crunches/hanging leg raises/dips in between sets. 15-20 Mins HIIT (though, i really want to move my HIIT to my running days because its almost too much to do this all in the same day)
    Sun/Tues/Thurs- Run 1-2 miles (i do this with my boyfriend. He's cute and totally worth chasing around the neighborhood).
    Sat: do whatever makes me happy- be that rest or hike a mountain.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I love both cardio and resistance training, so I also say both. I am following the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women" program, and I like saving my strength on lifting days so I can perform 100%. For warm-ups, I do 5 minutes of treadmill, stationary bike or rowing machine, and then another 3-5 minutes of dynamic warmup/stretching. I am usually dead tired after my last rep of the strength workout, but I try to do 5-10 minutes of cardio after lifting for good measure.

I also do Zumba and some bike rides opposite lifting days. I have around 70lbs to lose, and I have only lost 21 so far but have noticed muscle definition and inches lost, which blows my mind considering how much I weigh. I :heart: lifting!