Under the Calorie Goal-Why is it bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Your sugar is ridiculously high, your fats and protein are too low. Macros are just as important as calories, it can be hard to get it right at first but its all down to planning. I ususally log my diary the night before, I will start with dinner as thats the biggest meal, then lunch, then breakfast and snacks. You will soon learn which combinations work best to fit your goals - eg if I am having pasta for tea, I wont have a sandwich for lunch as they are both high in carbs.

You realize this was the OPs FIRST diary and is probably already a significant change on what he's eaten previously? Yes macros are important but you don't criticize a drowning persons stroke technique.

I do realise that, I ate absolute crap before joining MFP, but my first diary was at least attempting to follow the goals MFP had set me - starting out SO wrong is not going to help OP.
    I didnt mean to criticize, my overall post was intended to be helpful, I thought explaining an easy way to meet macros rather than just saying 'you must eat XXX, dont eat XXX' would help OP see its not as hard to do as he may think.
  • Mrfuzbear
    Mrfuzbear Posts: 11
    Options
    Your sugar is ridiculously high, your fats and protein are too low. Macros are just as important as calories, it can be hard to get it right at first but its all down to planning. I ususally log my diary the night before, I will start with dinner as thats the biggest meal, then lunch, then breakfast and snacks. You will soon learn which combinations work best to fit your goals - eg if I am having pasta for tea, I wont have a sandwich for lunch as they are both high in carbs.

You realize this was the OPs FIRST diary and is probably already a significant change on what he's eaten previously? Yes macros are important but you don't criticize a drowning persons stroke technique.

I do realise that, I ate absolute crap before joining MFP, but my first diary was at least attempting to follow the goals MFP had set me - starting out SO wrong is not going to help OP.
    I didnt mean to criticize, my overall post was intended to be helpful, I thought explaining an easy way to meet macros rather than just saying 'you must eat XXX, dont eat XXX' would help OP see its not as hard to do as he may think.
    ^,^
    Although taking offense initially, I did come to the conclusion by the end of the post that you were being helpful.
    The guy IS right :) It was my fist attempt at filling out the food diary and I didnt know that the page saved before you filled out the rest of the diary for the rest of the day. Needless to say I went over that mark by a few hundred. I gave myself props for eating and cooking a quarter of what I would normally though.

I personally did not think to look at the sugar count in the yogurt, I get told often by people to hit that up, and well :) I did xD

So...macros? What The Hell? I am a gamer and macro's are terms we use for using keys to instantly do something that they weren't intended to do. I don't think that same term applies here. A little explanation could help me out there :)

I am a pretty decent "go with the flow" kind of guy. I don't usually think people are out to get me with comments-so em, loz-and everyone else that has posted. I greatly appreciate feedback, even if its blunt like Em <3
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This!
    Ive had a look at your diary, eating more than 1000 calories below goal is not good. The 'calories remaining' at the bottom of your diary should be as close to 0 as you can get.
    Your goal was set as a healthy loss for your height / weight, if you consistently under eat by so much you will lose muscle, which means your body burns less calories, which means you have to eat less and less, see where this is going???

You need to eat more proper foods rather than just yogurt, fruit and cereal!!! Foods that are 'low fat' are usually high in sugar - your 'low fat' yogurt alone has way more than your daily sugar count. Foods that are 'sugar free' usually have lots of added chemicals.
    Try to eat things like chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, naturally lower fat cheeses like mozzarella, cottage cheese, ricotta, feta etc, whole grains (brown rice / pasta / cous cous / quinoa), lots of vegetables & fruit (5 portions a day is the minimum, try to get more veg to keep the sugar count down - fruit is good but in large quantities the sugar can add up), healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, avocado.
    My diary is open if you want to take a look for meal ideas x

Exercise is important too, it has so many health benefits other than weight loss - even if you feel like you cant do much at the minute, a walk around the block is a good starting point, when you can do that easily, walk 2 blocks etc.
    You should look at starting some weight training if possible. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so by building muscle it will be easier for you to lose the lbs. Dieting without exercise will lead to muscle loss and it will get harder to lose.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I get that I do. But someone who's just starting (and remember the OP is 160lbs overweight) is going to look at that and their eyes will cross. That stuff is important yes, but when you are just starting out its not necessary. The best thing for the OP is to be given healthier options not told he's still eating crap and do better. That isn't helpful.
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So...macros? What The Hell? I am a gamer and macro's are terms we use for using keys to instantly do something that they weren't intended to do. I don't think that same term applies here. A little explanation could help me out there :)

Being a gamer too I thought the same thing, lol. But whenever I see something I know I have to go google :X If I'm understanding its just the word used for fats, proteins, sugars and carbs?

Anyway I'm pretty new to the site and always used another site to log my food but after Em's comment on comparing to MFP I had to go look. It's pretty neat that they have it pre figured out based on calories. I don't see me being super strict on that yet though, it'll make me crazy. But it will be nice to see if I'm going way overboard in one area continually.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

^,^
    Although taking offense initially, I did come to the conclusion by the end of the post that you were being helpful.
    The guy IS right :) It was my fist attempt at filling out the food diary and I didnt know that the page saved before you filled out the rest of the diary for the rest of the day. Needless to say I went over that mark by a few hundred. I gave myself props for eating and cooking a quarter of what I would normally though.

I personally did not think to look at the sugar count in the yogurt, I get told often by people to hit that up, and well :) I did xD

I am a pretty decent "go with the flow" kind of guy. I don't usually think people are out to get me with comments-so em, loz-and everyone else that has posted. I greatly appreciate feedback, even if its blunt like Em <3

OP, apologies if I offended you, I was only trying to help and if you have eaten 1/4 of what you usually do that's a great start!!!!!
    I've been dieting on and off for years, so I kind of assume that everyone knows what's in their food, if you have not dieted before there is no reason you would know this, my bad :-(

Macros are the amount of protein / fat / carbs / sugar etc.