Over in sugar :( Bad?

Options
So I was watching the food diary, and noticed I went over my sugar daily limit by 96. That's bad right? -Same for Calcium, but too much Calcium can't hurt anyone, can it? :(

Replies

• DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sugar is where I struggle most. I've already cut down to Diet soda (Sierra Mist preferably) and even then try for only one can a day. What I'm noticing is that most health foods have a natural sugar in them even if they have no sugar added. Rule of thumb I've learned, if it's natural food, like an apple, don't fret over the sugar content. However, if you drink it, then worry about it.
  • Mrfuzbear
    Mrfuzbear Posts: 11
    Options
    I had someone tell me my sugar was ridiculous though, so I was looking for a number to try and get to with that. I learn something new every day here. I didn't know that a lot of crap had sugars in it. Guess I will have to look closer at things I eat, eh? xD
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Check your food diary settings. You can add a sugar column and it will tell you how much you should be eating a day.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't discriminate, but classifying Natural sugars (Glucose,Fructose) and refined sugars as one in the same is a big mistake.

It isn't the sugar in fruits that is the problem. When you combine this with a overly high fat diet, this is when health problems a rise (including diabetes). The information on this subject is vast, but to save a lot of time...

Have you ever seen anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't discriminate, but classifying Natural sugars (Glucose,Fructose) and refined sugars as one in the same is a big mistake.

It isn't the sugar in fruits that is the problem. When you combine this with a overly high fat diet, this is when health problems a rise. The imformation on this subject is vast, but to save a lot of time...

There's absolutely no chemical difference between "natural sugars" and "refined sugars." The body handles them in exactly the same way. Sugar is sugar. Glucose, sucrose, fructose and maltose are the exact same chemical, whether they are in apples, milk, or table sugar.

Sugar is totally irrelevant unless you are diabetic. It does not make any difference in weight loss or health, provided you hit your minimum for nutritients.

As for people getting fat from too much fruit? A dozen bananas is about 1200 calories. Yes, you can eat too much of anything.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options

It isn't the sugar in fruits that is the problem. When you combine this with a overly high fat diet, this is when health problems a rise. The imformation on this subject is vast, but to save a lot of time...

There's absolutely no chemical difference between "natural sugars" and "refined sugars." The body handles them in exactly the same way. Sugar is sugar. Glucose, sucrose, fructose and maltose are the exact same chemical, whether they are in apples, milk, or table sugar.

Sugar is totally irrelevant unless you are diabetic. It does not make any difference in weight loss or health, provided you hit your minimum for nutritients.

As for people getting fat from too much fruit? A dozen bananas is about 1200 calories. Yes, you can eat too much of anything.
    Consistent overconsumption of sugar over a period of time can lead to insulin resistance, though, which may be a factor in developing Type II diabetes. While being over the recommended daily intake of sugar isn't something to have a panic attack over, it's not completely irrelevant to your health, either.
  • icarol71
    icarol71 Posts: 8
    Options
    Too much sugar is not a good thing. Splenda is the closest taste to sugar that I can find. There are diet sodas made with splenda, doesnt taste the same as a regular. Once I started cutting back on added sugar, i dont really miss it that much. Im a type 2 diabetic. So i try to watch what i eat overall but drastically cut back on added sugar, diet sodas when i drink them, unsweetened tea usually fruit flavored helps and using splenda packets to flavor my tea when i do drink it. And as always plenty of water. Splenda to me also seems to be the one that doesnt leave much of an aftertaste as well.
  • tigersword
    Options

Consistent overconsumption of sugar over a period of time can lead to insulin resistance, though, which may be a factor in developing Type II diabetes. While being over the recommended daily intake of sugar isn't something to have a panic attack over, it's not completely irrelevant to your health, either.
    Actually, sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance. There are a million factors that can cause insulin resistance, but eating sugar isn't one of them. Excess free fatty acids in the blood cause insulin resistance, excess breached-chain amino acids in the blood can cause insulin resistance, genetics can cause insulin resistance, but eating sugar, in and of itself, doesn't.

Sugar is a symptom of insulin resistance.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options

Actually, sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance. There are a million factors that can cause insulin resistance, but eating sugar isn't one of them. Excess free fatty acids in the blood cause insulin resistance, excess breached-chain amino acids in the blood can cause insulin resistance, genetics can cause insulin resistance, but eating sugar, in and of itself, doesn't.

Sugar is a symptom of insulin resistance.

This should be a prime example to everyone new to fitness and nutrition. The true secret to understanding anything is to spend less time taking advice, and more time educating yourself.

References via: 80/10/10 & Nutrition and Athletic Performance - Dr. Douglas Graham, The China Study - Thomas M. Campbell II
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options

Don't tell me, Tell that to Durianrider.

durian-rider.jpg
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ohh The China Study. A study that has been debunked time and again. Correlation =/= causation., and the China Study couldn't actually prove a single claim it made.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It's ONE day - it's not the end of the world.
    You said you didn't realize how much sugar was in food - now you do -- so just look at this as a learning opportunity - now you know to keep a better eye on that, if it is something you are tracking.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    Ohh The China Study. A study that has been debunked time and again. Correlation =/= causation., and the China Study couldn't actually prove a single claim it made.

Oh, you read it?
  • tigersword
    Options

Don't tell me, Tell that to Durianrider.

durian-rider.jpg
    How is this relevant? You can eat anything and burn off 8000 calories a day and still get ripped. Ever heard of the Twinkie Diet? A nutrition professor who lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks, dropped his body fat % by 8.5%, and improved all of his health markers, eating a diet that consisted of 80% processed snack cakes. You're grasping at straws here.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my sugar intake goes up when I eat packaged goods. Companies use sugar as a preservative in packaged foods, so if you can stay away from them and eat more homemade things, you will likely see your sugar consumption go down.
  • tigersword
    Options

Oh, you read it?
    I have, and to be honest, it has nothing to do with sugar, so I'm not even sure what you brought it up for. The China Study is about animal protein.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar almost every day... mainly because of the fruits and fruit bars I eat. I think that as long as you're close to the MFP goals for sugar it's okay if you're a little over.
    Wow, haha. Didn't know that Lucerne yogurt had so much sugar until I checked your diary. I know what I'm avoiding now :p
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options

Oh, you read it?
    I have, and to be honest, it has nothing to do with sugar, so I'm not even sure what you brought it up for. The China Study is about animal protein.

Lol, I didn't bring it up, you did. I simply listed some nutritional references at the bottom of my page. Anyways, I don't want to go back in forth with you all day. I agree that you can lose weight on a calorie restricted diet of anything. The picture was just used to demonstrate that people do live and thrive off of very high sugar diets.

Chimpanzees share 98% of our DNA, making their anatomy almost identical to ours. These animals thrive off of a high sugar diet as well. Again, you are probably complete correct in that it really just comes down to calorie intake. Chimps naturally know how many calories they need a day because they eat natural whole foods. Our food has been altered so much that we end up with high calorie diets and all sorts of unnatural reactions to it.

It all comes down to the fact that neither of us are nutritionists. We are just relying on information we have gathered through research and personal experience. There is so much misinformation on nutrition that it is really hard to know what to believe.
  • kirstyrae81
    Options
    I often (ok, probably almost every day) go over on my sugar as well. I eat fruit every day and that certainly makes a big dent. The big surprise for me was in my morning lattes - I make them at home using a nespresso machine. I use skim milk and I don't add sugar, but there's relatively a lot of sugar in the milk. And, yogurts are also packed with sugars. I haven't taken the time to educate myself as to the differences among all the different forms of "sugar" so I don't know what difference it makes. Anyway, it's always a good idea to read the labels if you're purchasing packaged products (as someone above mentioned, they are packed full of sugars).