Fasting

Options

Replies

• marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    bingeing and fasting will not help you lose weight. I used to do it. It just messes up your metabolism and when you fast, it will just make you binge.
    after a binge, just exercise more and eat healthy and reach your net calories. Just try to do that every day.

/sigh.

This isn't what we're talking about. This isn't even close as a matter of fact.

First of all, if you binge after a 24hr fast, you have self control issues, it's not the fault of the fast. Second, fasting actually speeds up your metabolism in the first 24hrs.

There is nothing unhealthy about it.

SERIOUSLY people...read the freaking thread before popping off and posting? All of the things this young lady posted have been refuted scientifically!

We posted at the same time.

I just want to reiterate to the OP and others that if you do have a problem with self-control (in other words, binging), then IF may not be a correct approach for you.

For many bingers, cutting out trigger foods completely may be a preferable approach.
  • duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    Not to further fan the flames of "does IF purify toxins in mah boddee?!11" debate, but my (limited) understanding is that it's not so much that it purifies toxins already stored in your body, whatever those may be, but that it gives your digestive and regulatory systems a break from being accosted by processed foods, chemicals, pesticides, etc that may be incidentally ingested as part of a 'Standard American Diet.'
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Instead of fasting, (which "destroys" your body from the inside out), do a flush. Eat lots of green veggies, fruits, water, cranberry juice, etc.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Instead of fasting, (which "destroys" your body from the inside out), do a flush. Eat lots of green veggies, fruits, water, cranberry juice, etc.

How does it destroy your body?

And a flush? this is your recommended alternative??
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've gone a day without eating..Did 3 hours of working out...got on the scale the next day and lost 4 lbs..i was so excited..Then I went back to my normal eating..i was so starved and hungry..i made up for the day I didnt eat, gained back the 4 lbs and took me a week to get back on my normal track..It isn't for everyone..I personally will never do it again cuz i felt deprived the next day..but i see other people it works for them..guess you wont know til you try it...good luck
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

OMG, I'm not a proponent of IF at all and really am neutral in all these type of "debates" but seriously, girl, read up on IF before you post!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, get rid of the ice cream, chocolate, 90 calorie bars and the peanut butter. If I have that crap in my house, I'll eat it too. It's easier to just NOT have it in the house unless it's a 'treat' day for me and then I only purchase ONE serving. You wont binge on vegetables and fruits unless you're REALLY hungry.
    Don't bother with fasting. Just go back to eating 'normal' again.
    Are you super stressed out about something? If so, maybe you can confide in someone to lower the stress levels.
    You already know how to do this and you want it. YOU ARE STRONG and you will! Good luck!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Well, you cannot do an effect fast in one day but I would do a flush involving tones of fruits, veggies, and nuts. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    First of all, get rid of the ice cream, chocolate, 90 calorie bars and the peanut butter. If I have that crap in my house, I'll eat it too. It's easier to just NOT have it in the house unless it's a 'treat' day for me and then I only purchase ONE serving. You wont binge on vegetables and fruits unless you're REALLY hungry.
    Are you super stressed out about something? If so, maybe you can confide in someone to lower the stress levels.
    You already know how to do this and you want it. YOU ARE STRONG and you will! Good luck!

What's wrong with peanut butter lol?

And why don't bother with fasting?
    Well, you cannot do an effect fast in one day but I would do a flush involving tones of fruits, veggies, and nuts. Best of luck to you

Why can't you do an effective fast in one day?

/sigh...someone answer my questions damnit!!
  • TheFearThatGaveMeWings
    Options

What's wrong with peanut butter lol?

And why don't bother with fasting?
    Well, you cannot do an effect fast in one day but I would do a flush involving tones of fruits, veggies, and nuts. Best of luck to you

Why can't you do an effective fast in one day?

Peanut butter is fattening, high in calories and people often crave it. It's okay to have a Tbs a day but if self-control is the issue, it's not usually a good idea to keep it around.

Fasting for a single day won't do much of anything except cause water weight loss.
    If I'm remembering correctly, doctors recommend doing a 7-day detox fast with water and juice (under their supervision of course) to rid the body of toxins built up by processed foods.

I want to also say that fasting is not a good method for weight loss as 60% of weight lost is purely water. Also, coming off a fast is what most people find extremely difficult considering you can't go back to eating properly or you'll gain the weight back. I've found that following a fast with a fruit flush is generally very effective.
    Without a doctor's 'O.K', fasting probably isn't the best choice. It would be more effective to do the 3-day fruit flush instead.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    you see now how I feel? lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Peanut butter is fattening, high in calories and people often crave it. It's okay to have a Tbs a day but if self-control is the issue, it's not usually a good idea to keep it around.

Hmm...when I have peanut butter, it's usually at LEAST 4tbsp with a red apple (granted, it's Jif Natural...delicious!). Excellent source of protein and healthy fats your body needs.
    Fasting for a single day won't do much of anything except cause water weight loss.
    If I'm remembering correctly, doctors recommend doing a 7-day detox fast with water and juice (under their supervision of course) to rid the body of toxins built up by processed foods.

Really? The peer reviewed studies I've seen show that your metabolism increases the most within a 24hr period after beginning your fast. Additionally, that 24hr window is also when, in conjunction with strength training, your growth hormone production is increased by up to 600%. Again...peer reviewed studies have proven this. It's not just something read in an article in 'Fitness' magazine.
    I want to also say that fasting is not a good method for weight loss as 60% of weight lost is purely water. Also, coming off a fast is what most people find extremely difficult considering you can't go back to eating properly or you'll gain the weight back. I've found that following a fast with a fruit flush is generally very effective.
    Without a doctor's 'O.K', fasting probably isn't the best choice. It would be more effective to do the 3-day fruit flush instead.

I can agree that the majority of weight lost DURING the actual fast is water. However, I disagree that it's not a good, or effective method of weight loss. I also agree that coming off a fast might be difficult for some. Oddly enough...most people that try it, understanding the principles and knowing the pitfalls, do extremely well...regardless of their normal level of self control.

Anyhow, I want to thank you for replying, you're the only one that has...and I respect that. I do have one more question though if you don't mind. What exactly is it about a 'fruit flush', that makes you believe it's more benificial than all of the scientifically proven points I've made above?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    you see now how I feel? lol

I do!!

I'm just a bit less patient, and maybe a bit more demanding than you are =D.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi. I read this book when I first decided I wanted to lose weight. You can read it free online- http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf

It does make a good argument for intermittent fasting. I thought that would be the path for me. There were times, when I was eating like crap that my body would tell me I needed to fast. My gastrointestinal areas would be all messed up and I would feel horrible. Fasting for 12-36 hours helped me to reboot. I also tried it for spiritual reasons in the past.

Being an "all or nothing" person who goes from one extreme to the other I figured fasting would be best for me. Fast two days a week, eat normal the rest of the days, thus creating a deficit. I did this for the first week. But I have not done it again.

There was nothing bad that happened to me from it or anything, but eating healthy food and working out just feels good. My body wants to eat and it is functioning properly. It is telling me to eat, not to fast.

I think it is better for the metabolism and better for the body to eat healthy foods often.

But if you want to do a fast, you can always do a partial fast like where you will only eat salad for a week (with protein in it) or something like that.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Hi. I read this book when I first decided I wanted to lose weight. You can read it free online- http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf

It does make a good argument for intermittent fasting. I thought that would be the path for me. There were times, when I was eating like crap that my body would tell me I needed to fast. My gastrointestinal areas would be all messed up and I would feel horrible. Fasting for 12-36 hours helped me to reboot. I also tried it for spiritual reasons in the past.

Being an "all or nothing" person who goes from one extreme to the other I figured fasting would be best for me. Fast two days a week, eat normal the rest of the days, thus creating a deficit. I did this for the first week. But I have not done it again.

There was nothing bad that happened to me from it or anything, but eating healthy food and working out just feels good. My body wants to eat and it is functioning properly. It is telling me to eat, not to fast.

I think it is better for the metabolism and better for the body to eat healthy foods often.

But if you want to do a fast, you can always do a partial fast like where you will only eat salad for a week (with protein in it) or something like that.

I'm sorry, but there's no benifit to your metabolism or your body with eating often, or eating once a day..as long as your calories and your macro nutrients are in check (meaning eating healthy with both methods). This is something that's been proven. Now...if it is something you enjoy more...that's awesome!! By all means, eat as you please...but to say it improves your metabolism is inaccurate and misleading (I know you didn't mean it that way!).

Also...starving yourself on lettuce with added protein for a week...really IS pointless. There is no scientifically proven benifit to your body with this type of eating method (unlike IF)...and it could actually do your body some harm.

I do appreciate that you've at least tried it though...that's more than most people who post up with negatives regarding IF.
  • MeganHeartsCheeseburgers
    Options
    I respect your desire and reasoning for fasting but personally, I LOVE food and don't feel comfortable parting with it for so long. If you want to eat, eat. Don't force yourself to do anything. Your body won't respond well at all.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I respect your desire and reasoning for fasting but personally, I LOVE food and don't feel comfortable parting with it for so long. If you want to eat, eat. Don't force yourself to do anything. Your body won't respond well at all.

This is an EXCELLENT reason not to fast!

Well said!
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you think a fast might work for you, I say go for it. I bet most of us have tried some strange things and sometimes expensive things over the years in order to lose a few pounds. You cant know if it will work for you until you try it. 24 or even 48 hours without food is not likely to kill you (I'm pretty sure). I wish you the very best of luck and success with reaching your goals.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If you think a fast might work for you, I say go for it. I bet most of us have tried some strange things and sometimes expensive things over the years in order to lose a few pounds. You cant know if it will work for you until you try it. 24 or even 48 hours without food is not likely to kill you (I'm pretty sure). I wish you the very best of luck and success with reaching your goals.

It really says something that some people would think a 24- or 48-hour fast would harm them. (I'm not talking about people who are sick, pregnant, or have conditions like diabetes.)

I'm not saying to do it if you're not interested. But no, it won't kill you.
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    I read earlier today that although fasting is a good way to get lean, and it isn't bad for you, it is no more beneficial for losing weight than just having a healthy, clean diet in which you don't fast.

Don't ask me where i read it, I forgot.
    And don't have a go, because it's just what I read, I have no opinion on the matter.
    And it might not be word for word what it said, but you get the general idea.
    I guess it's just another approach to weight management, not superior or inferior to other methods.