Has anyone ever wondered...

Options
How come when I was younger I was very active but still chunky?

I mean I wlked everywhere, rode a bicycle all the time. Swam, played baseball, basketball. I was a little athlete but I was always still a little chunky.

And I dont remember eating alot of junk food, so why is that?

Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    well i was chubby when i was young too, but i DO remember eating a lot of crap, Fast food this, chocolate that....:tongue:

and i lived across the street from a convient store so all my money went to candy and chips!:happy:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    It's because of the junk food. If you're eating junk food everyday, no amount of exercise is going to really help since it would take a lot of exercise to burn off the calories of a Big Mac or Snickers bar. Eating junk everyday will completely cancel out the exercise and then some. Not to mention junk food doesn't signal the brain to stop eating (I'm already full) and most junk food has a little nutritional value.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I think our opinions may differ as far as what 'alot' of junk food is, or even what classifies as 'junk food' (if we want to get technical..LOL)
    Even though you didn't eat chips....where you drinking soda or lots of high sugar juice?
    what about lots of pre-packaged/frozen foods/meals....

You can also still be overweight if u eat large volumes of good foods
    It's still about cals coming in vs cals being burnt etc

Kim
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Some of the foods our parents fed us was Junk food, like hot dogs! Macaroni and cheese! Fried Chicken! country fried steak! Mashed potatoes with a ton of gravy, or butter! Just cause mama made it does not make it healthy.

There is also the picky eater syndrome, I don't like spinach or broccoli so my mama gave me peanutbutter and jelly, so I would not starve! not a bad food, but too much of it and bingo stored fat!
    Birthday cake with buttercream frosting, pounds of it, icecream every night after dinner!

Oversized portions for a child can also be a cause and too much whole milk! Lots of things that are too much too good, too fattening!

Childrens portions of food are amazingly small! two tablespoons of green beans 2 ounces of meat, 4 ounces of milk half a slice of bread 1/4 cup rice. yet our parents ladeled it on our plate like it was thanksgiving every day! I agree with Kimber even too much healthy food is just as bad!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think we don't remember eating a lot because we didn't pay any attention to what we were eating when we were kids.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Oh oops, I totally misread your post. I thought you said you did eat a lot of junk food. :blushing: It was probably oversized portions and poor eating habits. When I was a child, I ate a lot of vegetables, fruits, fish/seafood, good meat portions not oversized, little fried or oily, almost no fast food or restaurant food, and always ate at home when I wasn't in school. So the crappy things I ate at school and after school kind of cancelled out because of the healthier food at home. :laugh:
    Oh yes, and by way DRINKS are the major concern for children. Every soft drink, soda, juice, sweetened drink should be considered junk food. I know kiddies drink that stuff in excess. Even one of those drinks per day can have an effect on weight gain overtime. Not to mention all that sugar...Sugar --> Fat.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I was, although I wish I had that "chunky" body now! For me it was what we were eating, lots of carbs, lots of red meat, not a lot of lean meat. And sitting in school all day didn't help, although nights and weekends on the farm we worked all the time, but those six - seven hours a day really slowed my metabolism, I think.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I was raised a vegetarian. No fast food, no junk food ie: chips, no juice unless we made it ourselves, and no tv. I did not sit indoors and watch television or play computer games, although I did read a lot. I was always outside, hiking or riding my horse or building a fort or something. I was slender and never had to watch what I ate.

Those were the days!!:smokin: :heart:
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Some of the foods our parents fed us was Junk food, like hot dogs! Macaroni and cheese! Fried Chicken! country fried steak! Mashed potatoes with a ton of gravy, or butter! Just cause mama made it does not make it healthy.

There is also the picky eater syndrome, I don't like spinach or broccoli so my mama gave me peanutbutter and jelly, so I would not starve! not a bad food, but too much of it and bingo stored fat!
    Birthday cake with buttercream frosting, pounds of it, icecream every night after dinner!

Oversized portions for a child can also be a cause and too much whole milk! Lots of things that are too much too good, too fattening!

Childrens portions of food are amazingly small! two tablespoons of green beans 2 ounces of meat, 4 ounces of milk half a slice of bread 1/4 cup rice. yet our parents ladeled it on our plate like it was thanksgiving every day! I agree with Kimber even too much healthy food is just as bad!
    I am a mother of a picky three year old who would think that she can order her own food even before the menu is brought to us at a restaraunt. Most restaraunts only serve what children will eat. I mean it's a shame, i.e., hot dog, fries, chicken tenders so instead of letting her eat that I order something healthy food from the adult menu and request an extra plate so that she can eat healthy, and my portion is healthier too :bigsmile: I want to set her up for success
  • jeanniedreambtl
    Options
    Welp, thank you all so much for your posts. Actually now that I think about it. You all are right. I ate alot of candy, and drank alot of sweet drinks.

I am just so happy now that I am an adult and I can control my own Life.

I just had de' ja vu.

Wow that was weird. lol. Anyways, thanks again:)