Where do you keep your stuff while running?

Options
I just re-started jogging again and since I'm doing this while no one is home or nearby I have to carry things with me; my ID and taser and water. I have small pockets in my pants but I'm always afraid my ID will fall out and if it's a time where I had to drive I feel the same way about my keys.
What do y'all do? Do you carry stuff in your hands? Should I leave stuff behind? Am I doomed to wear the dreaded fanny pack?

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Runner's belt?
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have an arm holster for my phone and my mp3 player but I don't like it. I usually take my house key off the ring, stick it in my bra, hold my mp3 player in my hand and pray I don't get run over by a car and need medical assistance, because I can't call for any.
  • etuck5
    etuck5 Posts: 2
    Options
    Do your self a favor, and get a SPIBelt. They're super lightweight, they stretch out to carry a really good amount of stuff, and most importantly, they don't bounce. I usually carry 2-3 energy gels, chapstick, my ID, debit card/cash, and my keyless entry remote for my car in it, and I could still fit more if I wanted to. I got mine for about $19 at a local running store. You can also order them online. They're really, really great.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    omigosh lol a taser?!

I wear an iPod nano clipped on to my shirt, strap on my garmin, put my car key in the pocket of my running tights/shorts and carry a Nathan hand-held water bottle that has a little pouch with room for a tissue, an ID card and a pack of Honey Stingers for long runs.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    one time i put my bag in a bush because i was lazy..my phone got stolen.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I'm a rookie...I use my bra lol.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I too have a Nathan Handheld water carrier for the shorter runs, which holds my ID, debit card and water obviously. I recently bought a Nathan Hydration Vest for the longer runs that can carry just about anything I need, including my pocket knife (think trail runs in critter country). If you're looking to get a vest, I HIGHLY recommend the Nathan Extreme 3, it carries 100 oz of water and it's very unnoticable. Doesn't flop around like a camelback/platypus, it fits snug without restricting your breathing, I am very impressed after its trial run!
  • katie_heinricher
    katie_heinricher Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fanny pack
  • lhabedank
    lhabedank Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    SPIBELT. carries my phone, key, credit card, and whatever else i want to stuff in it...it is AWESOME and i highly recommend it.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I run near home and take my key in my pocket and that's it. I only go for about 25 minutes so I'm never too far away. Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll be looking up those products when I increase my distance.
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    I have an arm band thing for my phone/music and it has a place for a key and I can slide my ID in behind the phone. I carry a bottle of water in my hand, that's just my preference though. I don't like to stop to take a drink, so I like it handy.
  • debobrien1
    debobrien1 Posts: 95
    Options
    bump
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do your self a favor, and get a SPIBelt. They're super lightweight, they stretch out to carry a really good amount of stuff, and most importantly, they don't bounce. I usually carry 2-3 energy gels, chapstick, my ID, debit card/cash, and my keyless entry remote for my car in it, and I could still fit more if I wanted to. I got mine for about $19 at a local running store. You can also order them online. They're really, really great.

This. And they come in a wide variety of colors and styles. They're like fanny packs, though, but just collapsible so they're less embarrassing. :)

I generally always carry the following with me: my driver's license, a debit card in case I'm in an emergency and I need cash or I want to stop for food or water (though I don't go super far), my apartment keys (I need two to get all the way inside) and my cellphone. I have lately been holding onto my phone though to use it for tracking my pace, and I click my iPod Shuffle onto my SPIbelt.

Best outdoor/race running investment — after shoes, of course.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm such a rookie obviously. Most stuff goes between my spots bra and regular bra and my car keys get clipped to my dogs collar. Let's hope he never gets off the leash. Lol. I never thought about a tazer. Or anything protective. Maybe I should. Hummm.
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just got a GoSportID as ID, it's pretty much a bracelet with your emergency details. I chuck my keys in a bush outside my door (It should be noted I live a in cul de sac with a big fence thing around my front door though) and carry my ipod in my hand / use the arm band :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For short runs I just have my phone in a pocket though it's hard to find running pants with a pocket that is the right size.
    For longer runs I have a water bottle belt with a small pocket so I can take water, keys, tissue, cash and a gel or snack if it's a long run.
    I also have an SPI belt which works OK for light things (bus card, keys, gel), though I find it too stretchy and bouncy for my iPhone.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I stumbled on this thread. I am going to go look for a spibelt today! Lately I've been running while holding my phone, my ipod shuffle clipped to me, and my key tucked in my shoe (when it wiggles its' way under my foot during my run, it really SUCKS!). Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks to the OP for asking!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    omigosh lol a taser?!

THIS!!!

Do want!!!! :laugh:

I have a hydration pack - like the dreaded fanny pack with a holster for a water bottle - for long runs, but for shorter runs where I won't need water, I have a small camera case attached to a belt. I'm super-cheap, and the case was about $3 at Ross.

I also have a spare house key on a carabiner that I sometimes clip to my bra strap or mp3 arm band.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Spibelt here!! Love it - fits my keys, id, epipen, phone.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A taser...

First of all, for keys, almost every pair of $25+ modern running shorts has a small key pocket somewhere on the inside of the waist band. If you need more pocket space, be sure to buy the right shorts. Try to get ones with the following:

1. A zippered pocket on the butt.
    2. Good hand pockets on the sides. As long as you find a nice pair, they should be able to hold less important items (like a granola bar) without worrying about it falling out.

And for an MP3 player I would recommend getting the appropriate arm band holder. Aside from adding comfort and ease of use, it will significantly extend the life of your mp3 player and headphones (if you were previously holding them in your hands or consistently getting them wet with sweat).

And of course if that's not enough room you can get a hydration belt with pockets. Some mp3 holders also have small pockets, and many hand held water bottles also have a small pocket for carrying an ID or money. My warning about hydration belts and anything that straps onto your waist is that they can easily irritate and bruise your waist/hips region, even if there's no skin contact. Be sure to get a belt that has some padding on the buckle, or make your own padding with some foam/electrical tape. If you need to bring water, only bring as much as you need. If you're carrying around an extra 5 oz of water it will cause the hydration belt to bounce a lot more. This may not be uncomfortable at the time, but depending on how long you run it can end up causing some annoying bruising on your hips.