Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    How bad was the relationship?
    How long was the break?
    Have the issues been resolved?
    Have both parties changed?
    Have they changed in the same direction as opposed to apart?

Eta: My initial reaction is to tell you that the definition of "insanity" is doing the same exact thing over and over again in exactly the same way, expecting different results every time.
    Instead, I figured I'd ask some questions first.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would have to guess for someone in the universe at some point of time it worked out. But generally no - you broke up for a reason. That mess doesn't just go away.
  • d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options
    I think this is one of those questions where it depends on the situation. I think it can definately work depending on the situations. One of my friends was with her bf for all of high school then they broke up for 8 months or so and got back together. Now they are getting married. They needed time apart to grow and wanted to experience what it is like to be adults with out each other (idk if that makes sense the way i wrote it ) but it worked for them! Me and my bf were together for a little bit in high school and broke up (he was a senoir me a JR) we were young and not ready for anything serious, roughly two years later we got together and now its been 3 and a half years together and going strong :)
    Depends on the situation but if it was a reasonable reason, and not unhealthy and both of you honestly believe that you both are ready to try again than its worth a try!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    NEVER worked out for me, thank god. I was so silly back then.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Has it ever worked out?

Yes! I broke up with my boyfriend, we were apart for about 5 months and got back together, and we have been back together for 2 years, living together for 1 and a half. It's perfect.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think it CAN work, so long as you both acknowledge the reason you broke up in the first place and work through those issues together. I have a lot of friends who've broken up with their partners, got back together, only to break up again because they just seemed to want to pretend the break up itself never happened. As a result, old issues quickly resurfaced, but instead of resolving them, they broke up again. Good relationships aren't good because the couple never has problems, it's because when they do, they make a concentrated effort to deal with them.
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes! We broke up a and got back together a few times in 18 months, got back together properly and have now lived together 2.5 years. In fact, he asked me to marry him 2 weeks ago. Planning a wedding for September 2013 and more together than ever. It was a rough start for a relationship but 6 years and a few tears later and we're happy.

Sometimes things are right but happen at the wrong time in life. You'll do what feels right to you, and deep down you know what that is.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Sometimes it can actually work but it depends on the issues and if they have been resolved or not. Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at burning bridges, I do not believe in getting back with ex's. Move on
  • charneus
    charneus Posts: 66
    Options
    Honestly, it's a case-by-case basis. If you broke up with no anger in the breakup, you stand a good chance of reconciling differences and making it work. An example of this would be a couple who decide they want to see other people. After being apart, even dating a person or two, they realize where their heart lies, and they get back together.

Even if you break up with anger involved, it can still be reconciled, depending on the circumstance. If it was something silly that you shouldn't have gotten angry over, then a relationship might still work. However, you'll probably need couples counseling to learn to resolve your issues and stay together rather than break up each time something goes wrong. If you break up because someone's cheating on the other, or is abusive, etc, then that's something that'll take a lot of work to even begin to be repaired, and it simply may not be worth it.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck in the end.